I fancy a new gun - but which one?

mgsontour

On 27/07/2021 at 19:29, Centrepin said:

I'd go for a Miroku MK38 sporter in grade 5 for that price.

After a few more days of research, I've found out that Browning do a B525 ( wildfowler ) with 3 1/2" barrels, it came to the market last year. . . . I've never seen one never mind tried it but I wonder how people ( namely cenetrepin) would compare a MK38 sporter to it?

35 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

After a few more days of research, I've found out that Browning do a B525 ( wildfowler ) with 3 1/2" barrels, it came to the market last year. . . . I've never seen one never mind tried it but I wonder how people ( namely cenetrepin) would compare a MK38 sporter to it?

I’ve got both 

the browning special Wildfowler 3.1/2 chamber 

the Wildfowler 3 inch chamber 

and mk38 hp 

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

I'm not quified to comment as I know nothing of the Browning. I would ask @Old farrier as he has both.

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Nearly both i don’t have the sporter mine is a game version 

waterfowl has a different forend and is heavier mk is higher grade wood so not the best to take out on the marsh 

I like the forend on mine, the whole gun in fact. So much so that I bought a .410 that is much the same in style and length just lighter. Unfortunately as my health gets worse I find myself wanting a much lighter gun for some situations. 

1 minute ago, Centrepin said:

I like the forend on mine, the whole gun in fact. So much so that I bought a .410 that is much the same in style and length just lighter. Unfortunately as my health gets worse I find myself wanting a much lighter gun for some situations. 

It comes to us all I’m afraid 

the waterfowl is a very versatile gun and one I take on days that I’m not sure what to expect as it’s equally good for a ounce of 7 on partridge or fo 3.1/2 steel for geese 

the mk is a dedicated high pheasant gun 

55 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

It comes to us all I’m afraid 

the waterfowl is a very versatile gun and one I take on days that I’m not sure what to expect as it’s equally good for a ounce of 7 on partridge or fo 3.1/2 steel for geese 

the mk is a dedicated high pheasant gun 

May I assume that your MK a dedicated high pheasant gun because it's a more expensive grade to your widfowl or another reason?

I probably do more ducks ( I presently don't fire at the high ones as I don't have a man enough gun to handle 36grms of HP steel )and on a descending order of pigeons, crows, high pheasants and only a few geese when they are around on a duck shoot

I don't need a fantastic looking gun, just one that does the job ( and recon the Browning will suit unless you would say the MK is a better choice ) and I don't have to worry about what carts I can use and appreciate if you can add anything further to help me?

Cheers

35 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

May I assume that your MK a dedicated high pheasant gun because it's a more expensive grade to your widfowl or another reason?

I probably do more ducks ( I presently don't fire at the high ones as I don't have a man enough gun to handle 36grms of HP steel )and on a descending order of pigeons, crows, high pheasants and only a few geese when they are around on a duck shoot

I don't need a fantastic looking gun, just one that does the job ( and recon the Browning will suit unless you would say the MK is a better choice ) and I don't have to worry about what carts I can use and appreciate if you can add anything further to help me?

Cheers

It’s a dedicated pheasant gun as it’s high grade and fixed choke not suitable for ducks with high pressure steel 

On 28/07/2021 at 08:40, mgsontour said:

I would agree in a way as I know a few gentlemen who have had their expensive old English SxS altered to take 32gms of standard steel but that's as much as they can take. I knew this could prove a hot topic and I'm just unsure as I don't know enough but do know there are alot of people on here who know the difference between an astronaut and a cosmonaut who would educate us all.

If a Miroku 38 sporter is capable as Centrepin suggests then I'll buy one tomorrow as I think they are a great gun

I picked up a Gd5 Miroku MK38 Teauge Sporter a few days ago. It's an epic piece of kit, for the money you'll struggle to find a prettier gun that shoots as well. I was attracted to it because its a tried and tested 'store wart' of a workhorse along with the fact that it wouldn't look out of place on a sporting day. 

It's chambered for 2 3/4 & 3" and proofed for REGULAR steel shot. However it doesn't have the 'fleur de lis' High performance steel proof markings so if that's a game changer for you then it's not suitable. 

IMG_5379.jpeg

IMG_5378.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

Browning sell a B525 'HUNTER' laminated game O/U which has a tough laminated stock, partnered with the reliable 525 action, that gun was my second choice.. Had I been primarily after a working gun that would have been my choice. 

Of all the O/U brownings and Mirokus that I looked at in that category, none of them were proofed for High performance steel. All of the M/C variants could however comfortably shoot regular steel shot.  

See below, my teague Sporter does in fact feature the fluer de lys proof marking. I can't speak for the fixed choke game variants though. 

Edited by CountryBoyTweed
Proof marking correction

2 hours ago, CountryBoyTweed said:

I picked up a Gd5 Miroku MK38 Teauge Sporter a few days ago. It's an epic piece of kit, for the money you'll struggle to find a prettier gun that shoots as well. I was attracted to it because its a tried and tested 'store wart' of a workhorse along with the fact that it wouldn't look out of place on a sporting day. 

It's chambered for 2 3/4 & 3" and proofed for REGULAR steel shot. However it doesn't have the 'fleur de lis' High performance steel proof markings so if that's a game changer for you then it's not suitable. 

IMG_5379.jpeg

IMG_5378.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

Browning sell a B525 'HUNTER' laminated game O/U which has a tough laminated stock, partnered with the reliable 525 action, that gun was my second choice.. Had I been primarily after a working gun that would have been my choice. 

Of all the O/U brownings and Mirokus that I looked at in that category, none of them were proofed for High performance steel. All of the M/C variants could however comfortably shoot regular steel shot. 

That's some absolutely beautiful wood. A great find. The engraving is very pretty too. These Mirokus are so well done, is there a better gun for similar money? 

It would be great if you could get one hand selected to be of that quality when ordering - I imagine its pot luck unless you're buying from stock that you can see. 

7 hours ago, CountryBoyTweed said:

IMG_5379.jpeg

IMG_5378.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

May I ask what age please as mine is 2013 and has the fleur de lys marks. I wrongly thought all MK38s did?

Beautiful gun by the way 👍

7 hours ago, CountryBoyTweed said:

IMG_5379.jpeg

IMG_5378.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

Fantastic gun 👍👍

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

May I ask what age please as mine is 2013 and has the fleur de lys marks. I wrongly thought all MK38s did?

Beautiful gun by the way 👍

Mine was picked up new last week, I'm assuming it was Avalon Guns 2021 stock. 

I did quiz Tony who ran the local shop regarding  the absence of fluer de lys proof marking, he responded saying that the current B525 range and MK range aren't. I checked the proof markings last weekend after the gun was cleaned and I couldn't see it, but I'll get a photo tomorrow for the benefit of conversation perhaps I was mistaken? 

I'm a little confused now because this quote is taken from the browning website applicable to Miroku and Winchester shotguns also.  

"All hunting or sporting shotguns (over-and-under or semi-auto guns) by Browning, Winchester and Miroku fitted with the original chokes (Invector, Steel Invector Plus, Stainless steel Invector Plus, Teague, Briley, Midas, Diamond, Signature chokes) can fire "high performance" steel shot cartridges.

Tested at the Liège test bench (high performance 1370 bars) in accordance with European law on the use of steel shot."

8 hours ago, CountryBoyTweed said:

Mine was picked up new last week, I'm assuming it was Avalon Guns 2021 stock. 

I did quiz Tony who ran the local shop regarding  the absence of fluer de lys proof marking, he responded saying that the current B525 range and MK range aren't. I checked the proof markings last weekend after the gun was cleaned and I couldn't see it, but I'll get a photo tomorrow for the benefit of conversation perhaps I was mistaken? 

I'm a little confused now because this quote is taken from the browning website applicable to Miroku and Winchester shotguns also.  

"All hunting or sporting shotguns (over-and-under or semi-auto guns) by Browning, Winchester and Miroku fitted with the original chokes (Invector, Steel Invector Plus, Stainless steel Invector Plus, Teague, Briley, Midas, Diamond, Signature chokes) can fire "high performance" steel shot cartridges.

Tested at the Liège test bench (high performance 1370 bars) in accordance with European law on the use of steel shot."

@Centrepin I stand corrected, The barrels are fluer de lys stamped, just not where I'd expected. Another string to this workhorses bow then in that it's pretty well future proofed! on each barrel underneath the CIP marking there is a fluer de lys symbol. 

IMG_5243.jpeg

IMG_5245.jpeg

3 hours ago, CountryBoyTweed said:

@Centrepin I stand corrected, The barrels are fluer de lys stamped, just not where I'd expected. Another string to this workhorses bow then in that it's pretty well future proofed! on each barrel underneath the CIP marking there is a fluer de lys symbol. 

IMG_5243.jpeg

IMG_5245.jpeg

Thanks, I thought they should. If yours is a 2021 the serial number should end in the letters: YZ. If its a 2020 then: YM.

On 05/08/2021 at 08:30, CountryBoyTweed said:

IMG_5243.jpeg

IMG_5245.jpeg

As I said beautiful gun with confirmation of the proof marks your gun will do you for any thing that the uk has to offer with wings Gamebirds etc But to be honest standard steel if that’s what you are gonna use will do you for 90 percent of wildfowl your gonna hunt 👍👍👍👍

• 2 years later...

Choosing a firearm depends on your needs, preferences, and intended use. Consider factors like caliber, size, ergonomics, and intended purpose (self-defense, target shooting, hunting). Research various options, visit a reputable gun store, and seek guidance from experienced shooters to make an informed decision.

Edited by nora10

17 minutes ago, nora10 said:

Choosing a firearm depends on your needs, preferences, and intended use. Consider factors like caliber, size, ergonomics, and intended purpose (self-defense, target shooting, hunting). Research various options, visit a reputable gun store, and seek guidance from experienced shooters to make an informed decision.

Is that an American viewpoint?

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Is that an American viewpoint?

Looks like it..... also 2 and a half years too late 🙈😀

"Choosing a firearm depends on your needs, preferences, and intended use. Consider factors like caliber, size, ergonomics, and intended purpose (self-defense, target shooting, hunting). Research various options, visit a reputable gun store, and seek guidance from experienced shooters to make an informed decision."