Summer Ratting Off My Fancy Red Tub.

11 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, well done Simon, I shall be geering  up for this Autumn/ Winter ratting, might even treat myself to a new night scope, watching your videos and how good shooting that rifle I am sure those 2 magpies met a timely end, 

Lol cheers mate i hope i don't miss them in the replay lol

19 hours ago, Cranfield said:

Some good shooting there, it got more enjoyable after you shot that barking dog.😉
At those ranges it always surprises me that you can sometimes see the pellet, or perhaps thats an illusion.
Clever magpie teaser.🙂

Thanks pal ye that bloody dog 🤣 

7 hours ago, BinaryB said:

Very good vid. Are you using a 12ft lb air rifle?

Thanks pal no its a 12 ftlb but shoots really well in fact may be the best 12 ftlb i have ever owned inn all fairness..

23 hours ago, Cranfield said:

At those ranges it always surprises me that you can sometimes see the pellet, or perhaps thats an illusion.

Using a .22 Hornet at circa 3000 FPS it always amazes me that, whilst I never see the bullet in daylight, I generally see it at night in a red lamp.

On 27/07/2021 at 23:19, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, well done Simon, I shall be geering  up for this Autumn/ Winter ratting, might even treat myself to a new night scope, watching your videos and how good shooting that rifle I am sure those 2 magpies met a timely end, 

Hello, I shot 6 rats last night, tried some new to me pellets as the JSB Jumbo's keep going through the rats, it's only 20 yard max, they come in the big  shed from the back, climb up the 4 ft wall ,under the steel cladding and drop down to the spilled  grain, so I have put boarding on the wall and back stop in 4 places with some grain as bait on the wall board, so what happened with the new pellets, Hades, went through rat and board, 🤔🙄

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

some tricky shots there simon............do you send the vids to the farmer ?......what does he say ...i bet he is chuffed to bits how you cut them out..:good:

still find im holding my breath for you on every shot

Thanks Ditch ye he sees them on YouTube some times lol..

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it's very addictive Simon, I could just imagine the BBC filming that, who would be the compare , Cummings 🤔😁

Ya know popper in my life i have been involved in almost every aspect of shooting, i have shot comps with some of the best in the Country done grouse shooting every sort of game to be honest pigeons the lot but hell do i love rat shooting could sit there all night and love it even more in the day light lol 

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

im going to have to take up rat shooting................christ...it could become an olympic sport.........wonder if i could get funding ?

Take it up Ditch you will love it

20 minutes ago, simon6ppc said:

Ya know popper in my life i have been involved in almost every aspect of shooting, i have shot comps with some of the best in the Country done grouse shooting every sort of game to be honest pigeons the lot but hell do i love rat shooting could sit there all night and love it even more in the day light lol 

apparently when wiston churchill visited the president in the white house..........they both went rat shooting at the whitehouse dump............and i believe samuel colt visited the whitehouse as well and ended up rat shooting.......

so it does have a good pedigree

1 hour ago, simon6ppc said:

Hello, when I started shooting on my friends farm 20 plus years ago apart from the pigeon and rabbits I was doing 4 nights a week and shot 100s of rats, any weather, now the cold takes its toll but there are still a few about in the day time and early evening, with the harvest it's even more important to control the rats getting in the sheds and grain dryer, it's also part of the rules on farm payments, Simon's video shows how the rat population on his permission can escalate if you don't keep the numbers down, we seldom use poison unless it's an enclosed space where rats cannot get out in case the kites and buzzards grab them, am putting out 8 rat boxes this year, getting a pest control company in cost £££sss , 

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there must be some farms in your area that need some rat control, ??

oh yes ...i have those farms whenever i want..........'cept at the moment i have other things to sort first...then i need the kit..something i need to learn about 

15 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, when I started shooting on my friends farm 20 plus years ago apart from the pigeon and rabbits I was doing 4 nights a week and shot 100s of rats, any weather, now the cold takes its toll but there are still a few about in the day time and early evening, with the harvest it's even more important to control the rats getting in the sheds and grain dryer, it's also part of the rules on farm payments, Simon's video shows how the rat population on his permission can escalate if you don't keep the numbers down, we seldom use poison unless it's an enclosed space where rats cannot get out in case the kites and buzzards grab them, am putting out 8 rat boxes this year, getting a pest control company in cost £££sss , 

Hello, I will add to this, it also depends how tidy the farm is can affect the rat population, many farmers do not have time to keep their barns, sheds, yards, clean, grain barns need to be as rat free as possible for very good reasons, sending 20 ton of wheat to the mill or wholesaler with the slightest amount of rat muck in can knock £ss of the whole sale price, it's a buyers market, a local farm sent 2 lorry loads up north and by the time it got there they lost £5 a ton, don't seem a lot but compare the cost of drilling and keeping the crop weed and bug free, that £5 is lost profit, on a brighter note , barley yields are well up this year , so maybe cheaper beer 🤔😁

On 30/07/2021 at 09:44, ditchman said:

some tricky shots there simon............do you send the vids to the farmer ?......what does he say ...i bet he is chuffed to bits how you cut them out..:good:

still find im holding my breath for you on every shot

Thanks pal i usually pick them and he sees the pile the next day and burns em, lol and ye loads always say to me they hold their breath, stay safe my friend...

On 31/07/2021 at 10:53, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I will add to this, it also depends how tidy the farm is can affect the rat population, many farmers do not have time to keep their barns, sheds, yards, clean, grain barns need to be as rat free as possible for very good reasons, sending 20 ton of wheat to the mill or wholesaler with the slightest amount of rat muck in can knock £ss of the whole sale price, it's a buyers market, a local farm sent 2 lorry loads up north and by the time it got there they lost £5 a ton, don't seem a lot but compare the cost of drilling and keeping the crop weed and bug free, that £5 is lost profit, on a brighter note , barley yields are well up this year , so maybe cheaper beer 🤔😁

Ye not many farms in my area seem to have rats these days which is bad news for me but i think i shoot 5 rat farms  now and there is usually one of them at any time of the year were they just show from no where and i do my stuff. lol.

• 1 month later...