First ton

Ultrastu

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

contractors insentive........all i paid for was the tip............one of those days was on Cranes...local to acle

Marsh man...........did you ever hear of the Gillingham specials ?..once a month they were...mostly guns from germany and italy..and sometimes the big supermarket CEO's.....the European guests used to do what was called "the pit drive"....and it was expected to pick up just on that one drive 4-500 partridge.............the rest of the day was mixed and unlimited............those days are all gone now ...and even then were kept very quiet...

Yes we heard all about it , some of our beaters went to Gillingham and I used to buy some Partridges from there , at one time they were 10 for a couple of quid , about 20p each , I think the keepers name was Paul and when he left an ex police inspector called Lenny took on the keepering , when our beaters went on there cock day at the end of the season they would still shoot a 2/300 bird day , Andrew used to have a shop on the place and one day I was in the shop and I enquired about some cartridges , we went into his house and his Spaniel had scattered the plastic rubbish bin all over his room and the dog was stuck in the bin , he dragged it out and let it go without saying a word , look as though he was well used to the dog causing havoc .:lol:

22 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Yes we heard all about it , some of our beaters went to Gillingham and I used to buy some Partridges from there , at one time they were 10 for a couple of quid , about 20p each , I think the keepers name was Paul and when he left an ex police inspector called Lenny took on the keepering , when our beaters went on there cock day at the end of the season they would still shoot a 2/300 bird day , Andrew used to have a shop on the place and one day I was in the shop and I enquired about some cartridges , we went into his house and his Spaniel had scattered the plastic rubbish bin all over his room and the dog was stuck in the bin , he dragged it out and let it go without saying a word , look as though he was well used to the dog causing havoc .

when paul retired Robin (the farmer)....gave him a single barreled cased Holland & Holland.........dont know what happened to paul ....i suspect he went down south for mega bucks working for a well known shooting lady...i think..........paul was the only keeper i knew who could drive partridges into the wind and uphill for a good drive:lol:

i know lenny alright...he used to pick up there on a wednesday.......enough said about him tho'

EDIT............i remember why gillingham came to an end..........it was family problems ...someone died and the estate was spilit in half...so the land wasnt there to run big days anymore...

Edited by ditchman