First ton

Ultrastu

So my  mate and I set up and a disced barley stubble this afternoon  around 3 pm .there was a strong sw wind and rain showers .but the birds were keen to come and feed my mate opened the account with a lovely  double with his 12 b ou.i had my 20b sa. With mod .

The birds came in well and a bag was soon building..6 pm came and we got to 50 birds by having 3 birds between us .the 3 triple of the day . A call to my missus  to see if I can stay out to last knockings to see if we could get a few more .and we were on for a longer evening session  .75 came and still the birds were dropping in . 95 bird on the clicker and the pattern in front of us was just grey  with birds. I had only a small hand full of cartridges  left .so my mate accounted for most of  the last few birds. 

I had a single cartridge left and we had 99 shot 1 to go .the idea was that we would both shoot the last bird in together to seal the 100th kill .Well in he glided at 7.45 and 2 guns fired but a single shot was heard and he dropped stoney at 30 yds .job done we the hit the 100 bird centenary  .

That's our first 100 bird day .I have a massive smile on my face .there were some amazing shots and some god awful ones as well .but the wind was blowing hard and the cartridge ratio was very acceptable . 

Brilliant. And the best thing was to share it with my buddy .

Stu .

9 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Cheers at one time I had 3 pige come over high ad I dropped all 3 from My sa.  

Very nice to achieve. 

Farmer was very pleased with the result. There are a lot of pigeons around his year and still a lot of wheat to protect  

Sounds like you both had a brilliant time! And a happy farmer is always a good thing 👌🏻

plenty of crops round Essex ready to be harvested and being hit by the pigeons and corvids, wheat, barley, oats and rape all being smashed but it seems everyone I ask already has shooters, the closest I’ve come to a lucky break was being asked to send over copies of my licence/ insurance etc and never heard back, chased up and no response 🤦‍♂️ I don’t think my face fits 

Hello, we done Stu and friend👍

8 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Sounds like you both had a brilliant time! And a happy farmer is always a good thing 👌🏻

plenty of crops round Essex ready to be harvested and being hit by the pigeons and corvids, wheat, barley, oats and rape all being smashed but it seems everyone I ask already has shooters, the closest I’ve come to a lucky break was being asked to send over copies of my licence/ insurance etc and never heard back, chased up and no response 🤦‍♂️ I don’t think my face fits 

Hello, just keep looking, any beating this season ? Fenny advertised some pigeon shooting, good luck

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

Sounds like a grand day out Stu, just needed a couple of pictures 😉

Screenshot_20210729-084553_Gallery.jpg

That's 99  pige and a crow in the clicker. There's  about 85 in the photo .the rest were in the next field  and the hedge next to us .yet to be picked .

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, we done Stu and friend👍

Hello, just keep looking, any beating this season ? Fenny advertised some pigeon shooting, good luck

@oldypigeonpopper I jumped straight on fenny’s offers and I have a duck /pigeon/duck day booked up with him and also a day decoying, I’ll likely book another day too 😁I’m also booked on to do some beating this season and have a partridge day later in the year, I’ll keep plugging away in the search for a local permission too. Thank you for the advice though 👍🏻

Apologies on the slight hijack @Ultrastu

Nice shooting and thank you for the write up.

Its always satisfying to get amongst them once in a while and shooting 100 will be a day to be remember for a long time.

We are coming into harvest time which in my opinion is one of the most promising times for shooting pigeons- I particularly look for OSR stubble. Let us all know when you achieve your second ton.

Hitman.

Cheers mate .

I have to say .my mate and I are now hoping to hit 100 with the airguns .instead of the shottys .

I had 34 last week with my boy and that could have been doubled easily if I wasn't letting him take most the shots (and misses ) .we are hoping when the wheat is cut to set up a couple of hides to maximise our chances. 

.25 cal at 45 - 50 fpe takes few prisoners  .

Also there is much less meat damage  and as such are better for the freezer .

30 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Cheers mate .

I have to say .my mate and I are now hoping to hit 100 with the airguns .instead of the shottys .

I had 34 last week with my boy and that could have been doubled easily if I wasn't letting him take most the shots (and misses ) .we are hoping when the wheat is cut to set up a couple of hides to maximise our chances. 

.25 cal at 45 - 50 fpe takes few prisoners  .

Also there is much less meat damage  and as such are better for the freezer .

Shooting a 100 Pigeon day with air rifles would certainly call for some clever decoying , having said that I did read in one of John Humphries books where he shot a three figure bag with a 22 bullet gun , so yes it can be done but a few times harder than using a shotgun .

With the airguns the birds don't tend to go very far after a shot is taken often just back up to a tree or on to a wire .they tend to stay close by .if the birds really want a field then a big bag can be had .I've had a few 30 ish bags before the real key is to keep the decoys as far apart as possible .probably 10 yds between them that way when the birds land they aren't immediately  surrounded by plastic decoys and then take off again instantly  .

The key is to try and get them to stay on the deck for at least 5 seconds so you can get the shot away .

I always go for h/l shots and tend to use my fac .22 or .25 .

had my shotgun certificate since i was 13...........handed it back to the police last week...guns gone and all ammo..........

never achieved 100 ever...........closest i got was 97....it was just the areas i was in...not big consistant numbers

so well done..:good:

(mind you ive done more than a hundred partridge in a day...say no more....did 78 on the first drive..:oops: )

29 minutes ago, ditchman said:

had my shotgun certificate since i was 13...........handed it back to the police last week...guns gone and all ammo..........

never achieved 100 ever...........closest i got was 97....it was just the areas i was in...not big consistant numbers

so well done..:good:

(mind you ive done more than a hundred partridge in a day...say no more....did 78 on the first drive.. )

Your Partridge day must have been a very big day and would have been for those with very deep pockets , if that had been on ours we would have packed up after, or even during the first drive and gone home for a early bath , tell yer what , there must be some well off folks in the Cantley area :drinks:

45 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Your Partridge day must have been a very big day and would have been for those with very deep pockets , if that had been on ours we would have packed up after, or even during the first drive and gone home for a early bath , tell yer what , there must be some well off folks in the Cantley area :drinks:

contractors insentive........all i paid for was the tip............one of those days was on Cranes...local to acle

Marsh man...........did you ever hear of the Gillingham specials ?..once a month they were...mostly guns from germany and italy..and sometimes the big supermarket CEO's.....the European guests used to do what was called "the pit drive"....and it was expected to pick up just on that one drive 4-500 partridge.............the rest of the day was mixed and unlimited............those days are all gone now ...and even then were kept very quiet...

Edited by ditchman