Washing machine woes

Old Boggy

Are there any washing machine engineers who can give a bit of advice please. I’ve plumbed in plenty but never repaired them.

Washing machine went through its normal cycle but did not spin out, only drained the water out. The drum would not turn. Took the back off to find the belt broken. It feels like the bearing has seized as the drum is very hard to turn. Tried some WD40 type stuff in the bearing which improved it a bit but it feels as though the bearing had ‘ovalled’ as it was hard to turn at some point of its revolution (if that makes sense). My question is, I would have thought that the drum should run very freely without the belt on, is this the case?

A new machine is probably cheaper than a new bearing is my guess.

Thanks for any comments.

OB

Morning Chris, I would strongly suspect the machine has had its day.

A new bearing and the removal and fitting of it would be a right pain in the butt.

With a new one delivered for not a lot of money, I had to bite the bullet a couple of years ago.

Good luck.

Depends entirely on the machine. Older models you should be able to get the individual parts for but if its more modern the parts are not individual and you end up needing a whole new drum to get a little bearing. Our last washer died of a similar sickness and although you could buy the drum set up it was more than half the cost of a new machine. Fortunately the wife has it insured and because of covid the engineer refused to come out so they just replaced it with a new machine.

Morning Chris ...... Same advise as T C , our one was getting on a bit ( 8 to 10 years old ) and the drum was making a lot of noise when spinning and sounded like it was going to take off , if we had it repaired I think it would have only lasted a short while before something else on the machine would have needed replacing .

In the end it wasn't worth messing about with so we ordered one from Curry's which we found was as good as any on price with free delivery .

We put the old one in the garage and the delivery guys brought the new one into my kitchen and unpacked it and offered to remove the fixing bolts , excellent service by Curry's , I plumbed it in and I rang up a chap who collects old washing machines for free , a chap came by himself and I told him I couldn't give him a hand as my back isn't that good , no worries , he had a sack barrow and took it to his truck and lifted it up by himself without breaking into a sweat , oh to be young again .

Many thanks for the replies Dave and John. I think that I had already suspected it was knackered but still had to have a tinker. I’ve found a small local company (that has been highly recommended) that will deliver free and take the old one away for a nominal amount so will arrange that today. I don’t mind fitting it but it’s the humping and getting rid old the old one that I don’t mind paying extra for. 
OPP, thanks I will take your advice and check it while the guys are still here.

Ben, thanks for your advice. I’ve never bothered insuring white goods as the cost over the period can far outweigh the initial cost of the item. Maybe I’ve been lucky and have never bought top of the range goods anyway.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

You lot all clearly live in respectable areas 😂  Leave a washing machine outside in Bristol, one of many scrap merchants will be along to take it, sometimes within an hour.

50 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I think that I had already suspected it was knackered but still had to have a tinker.

As you've already had it apart, can I suggest creating a fire pit with it? The stainless drum with many holes last a lot longer than anything you can buy from the DIY sheds....

N5Xhsg_TIL6XMHnP7rz85_fmD_GuLyEZWEQ0VBHZic6PJOuQ1T6DwVGPXsjsGaENtACBtr7WcOgMAJXDmgJAmrP9abglU3U7pznfdjZKcsDKn7_uRo0imEjzSsO2jJ8maksd-7RGLKBOp-lLdRpBU8UlDn4CQ9su_7lUFJAlyqgbnO9yl7CTjB27q6UjHe5b_YLqZ2QmCgxhHJ4rPji0pyPWa6qsjm4jZno7EvTEkVC4pTpPeR3VshKkhdbnna5HHABDvAVqSpM32eTiRpMl-0V4ADgEIKU1BhNDnt0ORFK4M_dcI-wk_id-5kdnA6qa8CRsSfSMYWdf8ZB53Xx2G-xN5GbWQFSDmXlhbiujUesvMdMnRim94ddn9k_11wpfRX8nGNe5isQz9SZ1M1SCdGy4Wy6EUdwiz9_HroaP9P2WDrWrX8cUU9ktXeffM7luDWUF4O_jPZTwk8MpLmoND00netlw9kK-lN99xIt-RBFdnViyW68AHZsWKJ0CJ8yNLqUZMhpQ9siHi0tIsenOTMX6fctA1fjW-hmuyd5PQ_BcMYxUuKZAvqY64EUxx-Ed4WMDV0uSgEJaXyq2SVJwh8ETaj6LXg_ysBwW6iILtjb2yiof4A9CsN9yXjitOGwOYXsm8XGpy7Icly456jL6Sc98Z6kXpqUM8C9YUS0LKezCZOF9shSbI587dYrm4VwroE06w8bh6nhKpFGr4SJorc5O=w662-h882-no?authuser=0

38 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

You lot all clearly live in respectable areas 😂  Leave a washing machine outside in Bristol, one of many scrap merchants will be along to take it, sometimes within an hour.

As you've already had it apart, can I suggest creating a fire pit with it? The stainless drum with many holes last a lot longer than anything you can buy from the DIY sheds....

N5Xhsg_TIL6XMHnP7rz85_fmD_GuLyEZWEQ0VBHZic6PJOuQ1T6DwVGPXsjsGaENtACBtr7WcOgMAJXDmgJAmrP9abglU3U7pznfdjZKcsDKn7_uRo0imEjzSsO2jJ8maksd-7RGLKBOp-lLdRpBU8UlDn4CQ9su_7lUFJAlyqgbnO9yl7CTjB27q6UjHe5b_YLqZ2QmCgxhHJ4rPji0pyPWa6qsjm4jZno7EvTEkVC4pTpPeR3VshKkhdbnna5HHABDvAVqSpM32eTiRpMl-0V4ADgEIKU1BhNDnt0ORFK4M_dcI-wk_id-5kdnA6qa8CRsSfSMYWdf8ZB53Xx2G-xN5GbWQFSDmXlhbiujUesvMdMnRim94ddn9k_11wpfRX8nGNe5isQz9SZ1M1SCdGy4Wy6EUdwiz9_HroaP9P2WDrWrX8cUU9ktXeffM7luDWUF4O_jPZTwk8MpLmoND00netlw9kK-lN99xIt-RBFdnViyW68AHZsWKJ0CJ8yNLqUZMhpQ9siHi0tIsenOTMX6fctA1fjW-hmuyd5PQ_BcMYxUuKZAvqY64EUxx-Ed4WMDV0uSgEJaXyq2SVJwh8ETaj6LXg_ysBwW6iILtjb2yiof4A9CsN9yXjitOGwOYXsm8XGpy7Icly456jL6Sc98Z6kXpqUM8C9YUS0LKezCZOF9shSbI587dYrm4VwroE06w8bh6nhKpFGr4SJorc5O=w662-h882-no?authuser=0

That`s a brilliant idea :good:

Leave the drum on its wheel. It makes a nice stand for the fire pit. I have two of these. One at home and one in the wood. They last forever being stainless. If you put a stainless pizza tray on top it stops burning paper etc floating out during burning.

image.png.2038a866283e5326147b9359d0fe43e5.png

Edited by loriusgarrulus

My wife once took out insurance on a new washing machine. We have had two new machines since the insurance ran out and they still phone on a weekly basis to tell us the insurance has lapsed and we have no cover.
I ceased being polite to them about nine years ago.

1 hour ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Leave the drum on its wheel.

ohh good idea, but might not work.  Or at least, it wouldn't for the 2 I've done, as the bearing was pressed into a horrible pressed sheet metal tri-arm thing.  Even with considerable hacking, it would never have been level or stable.  It was easier just to cut the shaft off the back of the drum and rest it on the concrete mass-dampers in the machine.  Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Probably time for a new machine.   When the drum can no longer be rotated, it might involve serious damage to the drum spindle or to the fixed housing, rather than just knackered bearings.  

In the past 35 years I have replaced bearings on two low-spec Indesit washing machines, but only when we got fed up with the ever-louder rumbling noise (neither machine ever seized up as Old Boggy has described).   Bearings seem to last about 8-10 years at our rate of usage.   

Parts were not expensive from places like espares.co.uk.   The earlier model was a fairly simple job because big removable panels made things quite accessible, but the later machine involved working through a small opening and was far more awkward.   I think that is what they call progress.

From speaking to neighbours, I get the impression that high-spec washing machines break down more often than basic models, and are far more expensive to repair.   When our current machine finally dies we’ll just buy another cheap model.