SUV recommendations

thompsn00

Having recently got back into shooting I'm looking to sell my current Insignia estate and buy something with more ground clearance and 4wd. The insignia gets me to the farm gate but no further 😂! I have a budget of 11K, I'm 24 years of age, a pick up would be great but the insurance is over 1k for the year, seems extortionate compared to what I'm currently paying. 

Any suggestions for good SUVs with none astronomical running costs? I do 20k miles a year so preferably something that does 38mpg+ and that will last at least 5 years of relatively trouble free motoring.

I currently have a DT Box in my insignia, is there anything this will fit in?

Dimensions for that are 

Height: 650mm

Width: 980mm

Depth: 1000mm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm considering CRV or Rav 4, they won't fit the box but seem reasonably reliable. Will they be good enough off road though? 

Jimny would be great but I don't fancy doing 20k motorway miles in a jimny. 

Any recommendations or advice would be great please ladies and gents.

2 hours ago, aga man said:

Forrester is a great car but not cheap to run (mpg wise)

Have a look at Mitsubishi outlander. I have a mk2 warrior and I'm more than happy with it!

I had a diesel Forester & it did 45 to the gallon even when you thrashed it.

1 hour ago, PERCE said:

I had a diesel Forester & it did 45 to the gallon even when you thrashed it.

👍 agreed - on one occasion on an early Sunday run on the m6/m5 running at 65 on cruise control from Manchester to Bristol, the car electronics (yes I know they are less than accurate but a good guide) returned 63mpg.

I'd be dubious about a diesel Forester, any number of relatively common faults once they get past 5 or 6 years of age.

And I'm not a Subaru hater - we've got 2 petrol Foresters - my 2012 shoot wagon with 106k on the clock (averages 30-33mpg), and the wife's 2018 car with about 40k on it (averages 35-38mpg).

Both of ours are manual box - the Subaru CVT autobox is a hateful thing

Edited by robbiep

I have ran a Honda CRV 2:2 Diesel for 7 years it’s 15 years old with 170k on the clock - it’s been super reliable, the only major thing was a clutch at 100k  I run it with a decent set of all terrain tyres, it’s never let me down off road, you just need to know it’s limitations, I’ve even went past a few lightly loaded pick ups off road so it’s not that bad, the only downside is the limited ground clearance, mines is the MK2 I know the 3 generation on have better clearance. It shall be getting replaced in the next year by another Honda 100%

23 minutes ago, Jimnycrasher said:

+1 for the forester.  My 2010 diesel does 40mpg no problem.  Ample room for shooting kit, good off road and equally good on long journeys.  Very solid and reliable.  Can’t fault it.

👍 but expect some big bills?