Pike Gag?

CaptC

15 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Bit small for a gag and I can't see how it would work.

I suspect it's for something else but alas no ideas.

15 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Thanks - very strong spring!

Mohr's Pinchcock tubing clamp. Its used in laboratories for clamping off tubing. Someone obviously found an alternative fishing use for it. 

49 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Found this amongst a box of old fishing bits and bobs. It’s stainless steel with alas, no makers name. 
There is a patent number: 645814

Suspect it might be a “gag” for fishing?

Thanks

image.jpg

https://www.thomassci.com/scientific-supplies/Mohr-Pinchcock-Clamps

Just checked. You can still buy them. 

Edited by loriusgarrulus

8 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Mohr's Pinchcock tubing clamp. Its used in laboratories for clamping off tubing. Someone obviously found an alternative fishing use for it. 

https://www.thomassci.com/scientific-supplies/Mohr-Pinchcock-Clamps

Just checked. You can still buy them. 

Oh well done and what a wonderful name for the instrument - brings tears to my eyes! I shall put it in the "Might use it one day" box! Thanks again 

26 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I could definitely do with one of those , I'd use it at work when I  can't get to the toilet . Obviously I'd need a much much bigger clamp 😅😅😅

im desperatly trying to think of something witty to add to this..................i will have to check the depths of my depravity......"i'll be back..."

27 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I could definitely do with one of those , I'd use it at work when I  can't get to the toilet . Obviously I'd need a much much bigger clamp 😅😅😅

Have you thought of a mouse trap?

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

im desperatly trying to think of something witty to add to this..................i will have to check the depths of my depravity......"i'll be back..."

The mind boggles 

I also found this strange tar like substance - 

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

If Ditchy has gone to check the depths of his depravity he may be gone quite some time.

You just know that his reply will involve ginger root , whittled into the shape of a butt plug 😅.

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

As my personal butt has remained strictly unplugged I would have no idea of the shape of a butt plug.

Never fear , Ditchie will be along shortly with a demonstation model 😅.

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

What he says. A gag should be able to be squeezed together then allowed to return to the open position. Also they usually have "ends" like a duck's webbed foot and a cross piece to slide to lock the thing in a part open position for smaller pike. I don't see how this would do either function.

The black stuff is cobblers' wax. Used for waxing the silk when fly tying. If it's used it'll have many small what look like thin shallow "cuts" on its edges where the silk has been drawn through it.

Edited by enfieldspares

8 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

What he says. A gag should be able to be squeezed together then allowed to return to the open position. Also they usually have "ends" like a duck's webbed foot and a cross piece to slide to lock the thing in a part open position for smaller pike. I don't see how this would do either function.

The black stuff is cobblers' wax. Used for waxing the silk when fly tying. If it's used it'll have many small what look like thin shallow "cuts" on its edges where the silk has been drawn through it.

Thanks re the black wax. It was in amongst some fly tying bits. 

1 minute ago, discobob said:

aaarrrhhh Norfolk - the place where if you go "Hi Five" you get more than you bargained for

You may have to think about that :D

Fully understand and very clever - You might find the answer on the "web?"

1 hour ago, discobob said:

aaarrrhhh Norfolk - the place where if you go "Hi Five" you get more than you bargained for

You may have to think about that :D

am i right in thinking that you are assuming all people in norflok are genetic retards ?

On 29/07/2021 at 15:10, CaptC said:

I also found this strange tar like substance - 

I think that is engravers wax used for doing the black figures on silvered and engraved clock dials - where the recessed engraving is filled with black wax to form the numerals.  Details of how it is done here https://minnesotawatches.com/dial-silvering-clock-dial-restoration/