Childrens Olympics

The Heron

25 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Has anyone watched he bmx and the skate board competitions what's next the building blocks competition what an absolute load of carp 

Do they take a lot of physical fitness to do well? Yes. Are they extremely skilful? Yes. Are these individuals the peak of their sports? Yes.

It might not be your cup of tea, but don't tell me they're not doing incredibly skilful, athletic things far beyond the capabilities of most people - and with the two you've named, a fair amount of danger added in for good measure. 

What's your reasoning that they shouldn't be in - other than you think they're kids' sports? Given the quality of the skills on display, you'll need something better than that...

Yeah...that's not much of an argument for saying why they shouldn't be included!

GB Gold in the Women's, silver in the Men's BMX. Best go and drown your sorrows in something...

It could be worse. In 1948, Finland won Gold at the summer Olympics in Town Planning. Britain won Gold in Oils and Watercolour.

Edited by chrisjpainter

5 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yeah...that's not much of an argument for saying why they shouldn't be included!

GB Gold in the Women's, silver in the Men's BMX. Best go and drown your sorrows in something...

It could be worse. In 1948, Finland won Gold at the summer Olympics in Town Planning. Britain won Gold in Oils and Watercolour.

:good:Hhahhahahhahaa         yeah i forgot about that...........town planning ...you couldnt make it up 

i take Dresden and Coventry came joint last..

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I just heard on the news a young GB lady competitor had to get crowd funding money to go, I thought the lotto paid for UK competitors ?

Welcome to the absurdities of funding for sport in the UK. The Lotto money doesn't go direct to the athletes, it goes to UK Sport, who then hands out funding packages to various sports based on previous results and expectations in the future. So, in their wisdom, UK Sport, which  lives in a world that's rigidly operated by four year Olympic cycles, decided it would only fund the men's programme, presumably thinking there was no way their could be a budding Shanaze Reade (world champ in 2007, 2008 and 2010) out there. Then Shriever won the World Junior title in 2017. A package was cobbled together out of change found down the back of the sofa and what was stuck in vending machines, but it was nowhere near enough. So she and her coach turned their backs on the funding, as it allowed them to crowd fund to do the job properly. She worked as a teaching assistant to help fund it. 

We'll see what happens after the Tokyo cycle's done and dusted. I wonder if rowing has its funding slashed after their lamentable performance, despite the amount of money it got shovelled its way...

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I just heard on the news a young GB lady competitor had to get crowd funding money to go, I thought the lotto paid for UK competitors ?

Fair play to her, I hope she tells them where to shove it when they come offering funding going forward

10 hours ago, The Heron said:

what's next the building blocks competition what an absolute load of carp 

Depends on your view point I suppose.

Running round a track?  Jumping into a sand pit?  That was the nonsense they made us do for school sports day.  Why any adult can take 'athletics' seriously is unclear to me.

Chacun à son goût....Uh I mean, takes all sorts.

8 hours ago, treetree said:

Fair play to her, I hope she tells them where to shove it when they come offering funding going forward

Perhaps, but with UK Sport funding comes medical assistance, rehab facilities and no need to have to be a teacher whilst doing the rehab. She's been injury free for this cycle, but one bad fall and it's game over for your Olympic dream if you're out on your own. If she gets the funding package, sadly she'd be mad not to take it 😞. She's won the battle and made them look like chumps, now it's time to take their money too! 

8 hours ago, London Best said:

BMX and skateboarding asOlympic sports?

Most places they are just a public nuisance.

If we're going by nuisance factor, the ones in lycra filling up the country roads every weekend are way more annoying than the kids on boards and BMX bikes. And as for those fools rowing whilst I'm out fishing, appalling disruption. And while we're at it, can we get rid of those joggers who go round and round and round and round...

There are plenty of sports I'd dump from the Olympics, but there are no particular rules governing what should and shouldn't be allowed in, only potential for genuine global competition, which is why I'd ditch surfing from the list. Apart from anything, if you want surfing in, you're saying no nation that doesn't have the surfing geography can host the games.

Edited by chrisjpainter

I heard the interview with her mother.

In her 1st training session back after breaking her tibea  and fibea she landed awkwardly and the metal in her leg bent and shattered the bone again.

Fair play to her for rebuilding and getting back to be the best in the world.

She’s 22.

Edited by Smokersmith

19 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Football...kicking a bag of wind round a field. Rugby much the same but you get to throw the bag of wind too. 

Indeed.  It all went downhill when the association had to get involved and insisted on limiting the number of players and other pesky rules.  Bring back the inflated goat's bladder I say!

32 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

If we're going by nuisance factor, the ones in lycra filling up the country roads every weekend are way more annoying 

I’m certainly in agreement on that one!

I have no objection to a chap on a bike, but the idiots who think they are practising for the Tour de France should either go and practice in France or get on a track where they belong. 
It’s time they were legislated against.

Edited by London Best

15 hours ago, The Heron said:

Has anyone watched he bmx and the skate board competitions what's next the building blocks competition what an absolute load of carp 

I thought this was going to be about the Junior Olympics being cancelled or such like.

In a way I'd rather see these sports than golf, tennis yet more football,  I caught a bit of the skateboard final and it wasn't for me.

Normally I'd expect the sports persons to be ameture but apparently some of those skateboarders are minted, but can you be a professional skateboarder or just really good?

4 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

We'll see what happens after the Tokyo cycle's done and dusted. I wonder if rowing has its funding slashed after their lamentable performance, despite the amount of money it got shovelled its way...

From what I've seen and heard the rowers have been unlucky,  a lot of fourth place finishes and I think their training got badly hit by covid disruptions and the lack of competitive rowing in the run up to the games. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Normally I'd expect the sports persons to be ameture but apparently some of those skateboarders are minted

Are there any competitors at the Olympics left who aren't professionals?

Wait, let's put some meat on that: By professional I guess I mean do it full it time - albeit some have p/t jobs or coach.  Or even, as above crowd fund?

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Are there any competitors at the Olympics left who aren't professionals?

Wait, let's put some meat on that: By professional I guess I mean do it full it time - albeit some have p/t jobs or coach.  Or even, as above crowd fund?

I'd say there is a big difference between being full time and professional. 

I'll compare Judo because I know how it works against tennis or golf.

Only the top few Judoka will have full sponsorship,  most are at Uni doing full time education and training,  3-4 sessions a day, they love the sport and the lifestyle,  training and competing all around the world,  the travel and accommodation is often paid for but that's it. Then its other jobs, fund raising and training around those.

Compare that with a pro golfer or tennis player earning who knows what and it's a different league entirely.

This is why I like the Olympics, its watching the minor sports, knowing what the athletes have to do to be at that level. 

I once competed against a lad, he beat me in the heats then in the final, he had two coaches and looked like he wasn't really trying,  he beat me so fast in the final it was unreal,  I was told to Google him,  turns out he was a junior Olympian and had carried the torch at the games and he was giving away probably 8 kilos.

Another league altogether. 

10 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

The same can be applied to any sport really. Football...kicking a bag of wind round a field. Rugby much the same but you get to throw the bag of wind too. 

Agreed, I find both rather boring and certainly wouldn’t choose to watch them on tv…..but then again I understand plenty will disagree and spend their life talking about it. 
Does make me laugh when others mock what someone enjoys doing when it’s not their ‘cup of tea’