Bullace coming on nicely.

JDog

42 minutes ago, old'un said:

on one of the farms near me there are a good number of Blackthorn and its where I pick most of my sloes, having a walk round the other day and most of the sloes have gone brown, soft/rotten, any idea what it is?

sloe.jpg

Could be extreme change's in weather conditions , or is the bush a one off ? 

1 minute ago, bruno22rf said:

I wonder if you could run Bullaces through a fruit press then simply add to spirits?

I have 10 bullace trees now in my orchard and wood and this year they are heavy with fruit.   The only way to really tell if they are ripe is to give a branch a shake and those which fall off are like honey. For a really nice drink then just squash these beteen the fingers and put them in a large jar and old sweet jar is perect a good double handful and a cup of soft brown sugar plus a couple of litres of either gin or vodka .... I prefer vodka. Shake well every day for a week and then leave to mature for a couple of months or lomger. Drain off and  filter. You can drink from day one but allowing a month or two does improve the taste.  It goes well with any of the sparkling wines as an opener for a barbie or elevensies on a shoot day.

Bullace also makes superb jam and split and stoned mixed 50/50 with some good apple slices...prefer russet myself, they make a very nice pie filling..

• 4 weeks later...

These three trees I salvaged from an allotment down near Twickenham. My brother in law planted them against the rules and had to clear his patch after getting kicked off..

We benefited by having these three trees we did not know anyhting about. Since then seven seedlings have popped up which I have moved into the wood between the poplars and after four years they have produced fruit this year.  These pictures are of the main three trees, branches hanging on the ground.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg