Squirrel feeders

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Are you running a book on it? 

🤣🤣👍👍

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I'm not a betting man but wood not give it a long life.  Mine are all in metal. some ally ones have teeth marks.   BUT can't fault you trying, get some shot off them before they can chew, that's the answer.

👍👍👍 my philosophy is anything is better than nothing but you are right they are destructive little beggars 🤣👍👍

You will find out soon enough.  Shop around and see if you can locate some of those sheets on the sides of IBCs. They are perfect for making flip tops. Thin enough to be able to bend but strong enough to resist teeth. Whilst on IBCs the corners make super frames to hold these feeders to a tree.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

You will find out soon enough.  Shop around and see if you can locate some of those sheets on the sides of IBCs. They are perfect for making flip tops. Thin enough to be able to bend but strong enough to resist teeth. Whilst on IBCs the corners make super frames to hold these feeders to a tree.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Thanks for the tips 👍👍👍

I find the wooden ones only get chewed when the squirrels can smell or taste the feed juices when they impregnate the timber with oil or crud.

I have been using feeders with glass or plastic liners to contain the feed, so it doesn’t really touch the timber. 
a quarter inch weld mesh bottom lets the crud drop through but keeps the mice out. A metal lid can’t be destroyed by chewing, although if aluminium they will try. Galvanised mild steel is best.

The main reason I moved to this type of feeder was to enable it to be cleaned more easily as when we have grey an Red Squirrels visiting it is important to consider bio-security to prevent squirrel pox transferring between infected squirrels as it is lethal to Red Squirrels.

It was a bit of a spin off to find the greys didn’t chew the wood of the feeders.

B857C191-F3DB-4CC6-872F-42F5B4157AED.jpeg

Edited by Fisheruk