Old chiming German clock

Centrepin

Free for collection:

No idea of age but says inside it's German. 

I've had it a few months as  non working. I cleaned it up, took the elastic bands off the chimes which stopped them working. Put it back together and it worked fine, just needed regulating when hung.

Unfortunately I had a fall when carrying it into the hall and the top right corner of the woodwork became damaged. It still chimes but I think something inside became loose as it no longer ticks. I've lost the will to do further repairs so please collect.

NW Sheffield 

20210730_182057.jpg

20210730_182029.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

You may find that the movement has actually moved/rotated, They're usually held in place by four brackets and woodscrews, A knock can move it so it becomes out of beat, When you try to get it going you get more 'Tick' than 'Tock'!, It means the pendulum is swinging more to one side than the other and the shorter stroke can't get enough push from the pallet and it stops, If it's not too much out it will run but not keep time!

When we moved house I hired a van and we did our own move, My mantle clock that I repaired (Wouldn't run originally) wouldn't run when I sited it at the new house so it was put away for a few years, Eventually the wife told me she dropped it in the van, This is what caused mine to stop!! 👍