410 for ducks?

Kris2019

Justcartridges do sell 410 steel, Winchester SuperX in a 2.5" or 3" cartridge.

Shot size 6, 14 or 20 gramme load, it's a bit on the small size for duck in my opinion, no larger shot size available.

If you're buying a slab then it'll cost about £200 per 250 shells, they don't sell it in smaller quantities

Just want something quiet and teaching my boy to shoot. I thought about a 20b.

But I will be getting a 410. (hushpower) 

Just want to know a little abit about wat cartridges for ducks with a 410.

We can go on all day talking about this.does anyway use a 410 on ducks and best cartridges 

Cheers guys

Edited by Kris2019

There aren't a lot of .410 steel options in cartridges and for good reason .

Most .410s have a full choke (and that's not recommended  for Steel shot .infact given the small bore of a .410 I doubt steel through any size choke is a good idea .

Then you have the porting down most hush power barrels and that can't be the best idea with steel shoot going over them. 

So I'd say the idea of shooting ducks with steel carts is a non starter .

And shooting  them with lead is illegal  .

So I'd look to another option  personally .

2 hours ago, Kris2019 said:

I was wondering if you can use a 410 for ducks?if so wat cartridges would you use 

As a bit of a .410 enthusiast, I have shot many ducks in the past, flighted to a pond, not foreshore or pass shooting. When it was legal I always used my usual cartridge, a 2 1/2 inch Express with 14 grams of lead, which I found perfectly effective on duck. The gun is choked imp cyl and quarter choke, from memory. I have to say that since the lead ban for duck I have not been able to use my little gun on them as I have been unable to find any non toxic .410’s.

I shoot almost exclusively 410 at all game birds and just use my common sense ...not common these days.... and only shoot at birds within a sensible range. Partridge up to 40yrds, pheasant 35-40yrds, pigeons similar and I have also shot a fair few mallard with Eley Bismuth out to 30-35yrds.  Put a 410 load in the pattern in those ranges and the bird will fall.   BUT I would never recommend a 410 to start anyone off into shooting.  The gauge is for experienced competent shots only.

I also have a Husher Mossy pumper in 410 and there is no way I would start a youngster shooting with one of those as even long in the tooth shooters initially find them difficult to handle.

28 gauge maybe but a light 20 gauge would be better shooting light loads. 

20 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I shoot almost exclusively 410 at all game birds and just use my common sense ...not common these days.... and only shoot at birds within a sensible range. Partridge up to 40yrds, pheasant 35-40yrds, pigeons similar and I have also shot a fair few mallard with Eley Bismuth out to 30-35yrds.  Put a 410 load in the pattern in those ranges and the bird will fall.   BUT I would never recommend a 410 to start anyone off into shooting.  The gauge is for experienced competent shots only.

I also have a Husher Mossy pumper in 410 and there is no way I would start a youngster shooting with one of those as even long in the tooth shooters initially find them difficult to handle.

Is a 20 b much louder than a 410?

1 hour ago, London Best said:

As a bit of a .410 enthusiast, I have shot many ducks in the past, flighted to a pond, not foreshore or pass shooting. When it was legal I always used my usual cartridge, a 2 1/2 inch Express with 14 grams of lead, which I found perfectly effective on duck. The gun is choked imp cyl and quarter choke, from memory. I have to say that since the lead ban for duck I have not been able to use my little gun on them as I have been unable to find any non toxic .410’s.

👍👍

25 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Thank you

I shoot a fair few duck (teal) with a 410 finding bismuth the best cartridges for it 

any bigger duck need to be a lot closer 

haven’t been able to get a suitable steel load with a bio wad as yet 

I have been messing around with some tss and heavy shot which is the way to go but it’s expensive 

as Walker says ^^^

Get both the 20/28 bore and the moderated .410”. I’ve got a single shot hushpower .410” and love it but it has limited range (in my hands with subsonics) and is not an easy gun to shoot. I’m actually going to drill and tap the action in order to mount a reflex sight for the boys to use as a ‘rifle’ against stationary targets or game (balloons, squirrels etc). They are too small now but when they are big enough to shoot moving targets I will get them a 28 bore for easy clays. 

5 hours ago, Kris2019 said:

Just want something quiet and teaching my boy to shoot. I thought about a 20b.

But I will be getting a 410. (hushpower) 

Just want to know a little abit about wat cartridges for ducks with a 410.

We can go on all day talking about this.does anyway use a 410 on ducks and best cartridges 

Cheers guys

410 is an expert's gun, not a beginner ! He could be putting a clay right in the pattern at 30 yards and not break it. Demoralising for a youngster learning to shoot.

But if you're dead set on it, then, as I said previously, the only commercially available cartridges that I know of are the Winchester size 6 shot ones sold by justcartridges - and you'll pay about £200 for a slab of 250, with no option to buy in smaller quantity.

Walker's advice is perfect, 410 is an experts gun, probably put more kids off shooting by constantly  missing with 1 than anything else. 20b with 24gram 5s  Gamebore Kent steel would be great to start off with if the youngster can hold a 20b easily. As Walked up says the Hushpower 410s aren't easy to shoot well with as they take a lot of getting used to, i own and use 1 regularly and know this to be true.  When my daughter started shooting she wanted to try my 410 o/u and was not very good at all, went on to a 20b and totally changed.

Atb scobydog

On 31/07/2021 at 09:00, Kris2019 said:

Cheers for advice I've desided wat gun I be getting. 

Cheers boys

Hello, which one have you decided to buy ?, I can still remember when I got my first shotgun, 410 double barrel hammer with silver action, cost my dad £6, accounted for 100s of rabbits and pigeon, good luck