Biles withdraws from 2 more events.

peck

I see Simone Biles has withdrawn from 2 more Olympic events. Why the hell did she put her self foreword to compete in the Olympics if she is so mentally mixed up. She has not only denied other competitors the chance to compete but she has wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars going to the Olympics

I personally  think its disgusting that she has now withdrawn from i think its 3 events, she should be banned from trying for the next Olympics and any sponsorship money she has received should be returned.

6 minutes ago, peck said:

I see Simone Biles has withdrawn from 2 more Olympic events. Why the hell did she put her self foreword to compete in the Olympics if she is so mentally mixed up. She has not only denied other competitors the chance to compete but she has wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars going to the Olympics

I personally  think its disgusting that she has now withdrawn from i think its 3 events, she should be banned from trying for the next Olympics and any sponsorship money she has received should be returned.

I don't wish to offend anyone with this post - and it is simply my view but - it seems to have become fashionable to 'publicly have mental health issues'. 

I suspect this has been (at least in part) brought about by the likes of Harry and Meghan, who wanted privacy and 'left the RF to gain privacy' and now do nothing but seek publicity - much of it in respect of their 'mental health'.  We have athletes, cricketers, tennis players, footballers - all being very public about what should (again my view) be a private issue.

People who I have known with mental health issues usually genuinely prefer the quiet privacy of a few close friends/associates.

7 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I don't wish to offend anyone with this post - and it is simply my view but - it seems to have become fashionable to 'publicly have mental health issues'. 

I suspect this has been (at least in part) brought about by the likes of Harry and Meghan, who wanted privacy and 'left the RF to gain privacy' and now do nothing but seek publicity - much of it in respect of their 'mental health'.  We have athletes, cricketers, tennis players, footballers - all being very public about what should (again my view) be a private issue.

People who I have known with mental health issues usually genuinely prefer the quiet privacy of a few close friends/associates.

I suspect you are quite correct.

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Good post John, but let's no forget many many young people with no voice are suffering in silence, 

17 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Good post John, but let's no forget many many young people with no voice are suffering in silence, 

I know - and that is why I chose my words very carefully starting with 'an apology'.  The problem is that mental health (like most health issues) is a delicate and complex matter, and needs expert assistance, not self diagnosis based on the experiences of others. 

People who have a genuine need - should get proper expert care and treatment suited to their needs.  Others may have nothing wrong with them that a little privacy and the support of friends won't enable them to 'work through it'.

When various 'celebrities, stars, influencers' publicly talk about their various mental health issues - other people with perhaps minor doubts or simply going through a bad patch may well think "That's just how I feel, I must also have that" - and probably in many cases - it just clogs up the treatment professional services with people with 'copycat issues'.  To put it bluntly, hypochondria is also a 'mental health concern'.  I am not an expert in the field, but I do have relatives who work in the medical profession who are -  and often, people with some types of mental health issues are very 'suggestable'.  Others don't recognise they have a problem - and it is hard to get them to acknowledge that have a problem.  As I say - complex issues - not helped by inexpert and ill advised publicity from 'celebrities, stars, influencers'.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Someone my wife vaguely knew from their university, days killed herself a few weeks ago. She had three children, the youngest being a couple of weeks old. Her widower now has a job in the city and three tiny children to look after alone. Makes doing a few twizzles or being made to courtesy to the Queen seem quite trivial.

45 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Someone my wife vaguely knew from their university, days killed herself a few weeks ago. She had three children, the youngest being a couple of weeks old. Her widower now has a job in the city and three tiny children to look after alone. Makes doing a few twizzles or being made to courtesy to the Queen seem quite trivial.

Certainly puts things in to perspective.

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Hello, that's very sad, !!!

22 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There is a particular illness known as 'post natal depression'.  I also know of a similar example.

Hello, yes my sons mother went through that, , oh I hate the expression X wife, anyway she did get better over time, but for today's young mothers this pandemic has not helped getting to see their GP

Let's not forgot she's a young woman who was abused by her coach. In recent days its been given a lot of media coverage, perhaps enough to put her over the edge. But hey ho it's easier to mock victims of child abuse than try and understand them. 

Edited by toontastic