Just joined a shoot

lurcherboy

Can I recommend to you "MRS BEETONS GAME COOKERY BOOK".

It gives all aspect of preparation and cooking of all types of game. Lots of new & interesting ways of cooking game. I have to say I refer to it at least once a week just for inspiration.

As for hanging pheasants, it is really dependent on the weather and personnal taste. I actually prefer pheasant fairly fresh, only 2-3 days old.

I,m sure there will be plenty of advice forthcoming from the other guns & beaters.

My main shooting is pheasants with pigeons to fill in the closed season.

I,m sure you will enjoy it. Whole different ball game to pigeons.

Post again if you need more help.

regards

RTR

As RTR has said hanging game is really a matter of personal taste. The longer it is hung the stronger and more "gamey" the flavour becomes. It also tenderises the meat, so an old bird would benefit from hanging slightly longer than a youngster.

The length of time you hang your game very much depends on the air temperature. In warm conditions putrefaction progresses faster and so the hanging time should be reduced.

Personally I will only hang birds for two or three days in a chiller, but I have plucked birds for people that were green and minging, but thats the way they liked them.

The Mrs Beeton books are great, as an historical record as well as for the recipes. My copy is published by Ward Lock, but it is quite old.

You can find a lot of good game recipes here; Game To Eat

Q ;)

Worlds simplest recipe for fezzies, and one of the best. A dish of mashed spuds should be on hand to mop the sauce up.

INGREDIENTS

Four pheasant breasts

Eight bacon rashers, streaky for preference (Pancetta is just as good)

Four teaspoons of green or red pesto

Four fl oz thick cream

A half pint of cider

Pine nuts

Salt and pepper

METHOD

Slit a pouch sideways in each of the breasts and put in a teaspoon (heaped) of pesto. Wrap each breast in two rashers of bacon and place in a roasting dish. Pour in the cider, cover with a good lid or foil and put into a preheated oven at 200 deg C. for about 30 minutes.

Remove the breasts to a warm place and bring the juices to the boil and reduce in volume by a half. Turn the heat down and add the cream, stir, and season to taste.

Serve the pheasant breasts on a warm plate and pour over the creamy sauce. Garnish with pine nuts and a few twists of black pepper

Jobzagudden

Eug

• 1 month later...