Any electricians on here please?

Eyefor

The fluorescent (two way) strip light in the garage of our 1970's house has just died which is no bad thing as it gave poor light, ate starters at a ridiculous rate and hummed so I'm gonna change it to an LED equivalent.

As I understand it's OK to do this in my own house provided I don't do any work in the kitchen or bathrooms nor add any circuits, so (power off) I took down the old fitting and discovered wiring as below picture which (left to right) is -

Two yellow earths 

Four reds 

A green & yellow earth (for the new fitting earth I assume?).

Two blues (sheathed red) and

Two blacks

So where do I fit the new brown and blue please and should I tidy all this up in a junction box (I've only got a 4 way but I assume I can combine all the earths)?

Thanks in advance.

Garage Electrics.jpeg

Edited by Eyefor

24 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

The fluorescent (two way) strip light in the garage of our 1970's house has just died which is no bad thing as it gave poor light, ate starters at a ridiculous rate and hummed so I'm gonna change it to an LED equivalent.

As I understand it's OK to do this in my own house provided I don't do any work in the kitchen or bathrooms nor add any circuits, so (power off) I took down the old fitting and discovered wiring as below picture which (left to right) is -

Two yellow earths 

Four reds 

A green & yellow earth (for the new fitting earth I assume?).

Two blues (sheathed red) and

Two blacks

So where do I fit the new brown and blue please and should I tidy all this up in a junction box (I've only got a 4 way but I assume I can combine all the earths)?

Thanks in advance.

Garage Electrics.jpeg

Eyefor, I won't touch on the first question because many 'professionals' will give you a different opinion.. 

The first block on the left is your earth terminal. The second block on the left is your live 'loop' terminal. The central block is your two way switch live block (THIS IS WHERE YOU WANT TO CONNECT YOUR NEW LED STRIP LIGHT). Lastly the block on the far right is your neutral 'loop' (THIS IS WHERE YOU WANT TO CONNECT YOUR LED STRIP NEUTRAL)

. You could also bring all three of those earths together for simplicity, no need to terminate them in separate blocks. May I suggest that if you're going to do this yourself, get rid of those block connectors and pick up a selection of clear WAGO 221 connectors from your nearest Screwfix. You'll get a far superior connection and they're a doddle to work with. Good luck! 

9 minutes ago, elgreco said:

All the earths together. The loop is untouched, the live is the red sleeved and neutral black. I would used the new wago connectors too

6DACED57-63F5-4205-9155-8F411D2BFA5D.jpeg

Elgreco is spot on. +1 for WAGO's. 

Edited by CountryBoyTweed

Many thanks for all replies. Very helpful.

TC - according to the wife my life insurance (of which she is the sole beneficiary) is fully paid and she say's I'll be fine working on the electrics. Just in case she may be wrong we do have a fairly new consumer unit with ELCB plus I will have the power off.

6 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

Many thanks for all replies. Very helpful.

TC - according to the wife my life insurance (of which she is the sole beneficiary) is fully paid and she say's I'll be fine working on the electrics. Just in case she may be wrong we do have a fairly new consumer unit with ELCB plus I will have the power off.

BBbaaahhhh...........you take all the fun out of things

3 hours ago, CountryBoyTweed said:

Eyefor, I won't touch on the first question because many 'professionals' will give you a different opinion.. 

The first block on the left is your earth terminal. The second block on the left is your live 'loop' terminal. The central block is your two way switch live block (THIS IS WHERE YOU WANT TO CONNECT YOUR NEW LED STRIP LIGHT). Lastly the block on the far right is your neutral 'loop' (THIS IS WHERE YOU WANT TO CONNECT YOUR LED STRIP NEUTRAL)

. You could also bring all three of those earths together for simplicity, no need to terminate them in separate blocks. May I suggest that if you're going to do this yourself, get rid of those block connectors and pick up a selection of clear WAGO 221 connectors from your nearest Screwfix. You'll get a far superior connection and they're a doddle to work with. Good luck! 

Elgreco is spot on. +1 for WAGO's. 

What makes you assume the yellow cables on the left are earths? 
If they are they’re not labelled as such,  and I’m not sure why someone would have run a 3-core cable and used a core as the earth (difficult to see if it’s really old cable with no separate earth conductor). Certainly worth checking with test leads anyhow before joining together with the other more obvious earth cables. 

8 minutes ago, TR1 said:

Could it possibly be an old 2 way switched circuit using a 3 core and earth ?

It could be old three core, but I can't see where the two remaining CPC's are? Two CPC's have been sheathed and are going to one block connector. So making the assumption based on not being able to see a CPC on either of the old three core, someone has used old 3+e and used the yellow as CPC. Alternatively I suppose that could be a shared neutral for the 2-way switch? 

In which case I would leave it be, just swap the block connectors for Wago's to avoid opening a can of worms wiring up everything exactly as it is now. New LED light, brown live to centre (switch live) and blue negative to the right hand black neutrals. Earth off the two sheathed cpc's (assuming your new LED batton has an earth, most don't these days). 

I would personally put all of that lot (birds nest) into a single plastic pattress box mounted to the ceiling. Bring down a single T+e feed to your new light, much neater and easier to maintain in future. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-4-entry-rectangular-junction-box-with-knockouts/63295

old-new-3-core-colours.jpg

5 hours ago, millrace said:

Just remember 1 wago for each colour of wire....!!

This needs emphasising.

If you are used to using those old style connector blocks it is very tempting to put two different colours into the two holes on a Wago.

10 hours ago, 39TDS said:

This needs emphasising.

If you are used to using those old style connector blocks it is very tempting to put two different colours into the two holes on a Wago.

If this sort of info needs to be ‘emphasised’, then please don’t be playing with AC. Stick DC on your rotary and you live a little longer 

PS, did you not note the feed/terminals to the old fluorescent light when you removed it? 

i know enough about electrickery to stay alive .....but this is way beyond my pay scale........i always stand on a rubber mat when doing electric stuff...even changing the battery in my torch...:good:

how on earth electricity was invented is beyond me,...you cant even see the damn stuff

Top tip before you disconnect any light fitting....

Take a picture!!

Your new light will connect to exactly the same point as such ( its only live neutral and poss earth)and any additional wires can be left ignored joined up....your camera fone really is your friend here!!

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

i know enough about electrickery to stay alive .....but this is way beyond my pay scale........i always stand on a rubber mat when doing electric stuff...even changing the battery in my torch...:good:

how on earth electricity was invented is beyond me,...you cant even see the damn stuff

I just hate electrics 😡😡

4 hours ago, millrace said:

Top tip before you disconnect any light fitting....

Take a picture!!

Your new light will connect to exactly the same point as such ( its only live neutral and poss earth)and any additional wires can be left ignored joined up....your camera fone really is your friend here!!

This is the way I always do it 👍.

29 minutes ago, williamwansbeck said:

Those 2 yellows are strappers from the 2 way light and need to be together and definitely not into earth connection.old 3 core and earth cable in use for sure.

I'm intrigued what they've done with the old 3 core's cpc's.... can't see them terminated anywhere. Probably just cut off flush with the sheath, and terminated at the switch back box end only. 🤷‍♂️