Spitfire pellets

welshwarrior

9 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

I got a load of Spitfire 22 pellets compared to the Webley VMX I’ve been using they are night and day. So why are they so rubbish? Is there anything I can do to make them better?

Or are they just lead weight for balancing stocks and adding weight to priests etc. 

Hello, in what rifle are you using them in ? 

Most rubbish pellets such as the WASP that still trade on the misbegotten belief by the purchaser that they are buying ELEY Wasp are the product of worn out swaging dies. They are a false economy. Practice, even plinking, only has benefit if you are using pellets that are of a reasonable accuracy. Sell them on eBay...you'll get a better price than you'd need to pay to buy scrap lead to melt down for stock balancing.

Their being used in 2 BSA ultras BSA Supersport and are terrible ok in a QB78 but not good.  

Wont sell them on them got about 10 tins for very little so not bother about cost I’ll use them in stock work etc. 

makes sense that dies are worn out.  I used to love eley wasp back in the day. 🤷‍♂️

30 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Their being used in 2 BSA ultras BSA Supersport and are terrible ok in a QB78 but not good.  

Wont sell them on them got about 10 tins for very little so not bother about cost I’ll use them in stock work etc. 

makes sense that dies are worn out.  I used to love eley wasp back in the day. 🤷‍♂️

Hello, they do better in spring air rifles, try some pellet lube ? , LT 1 is what I use, it made Eley wasps better when I used an old falcon pcp, 

They are so very light, too light in fact,  my main rifle likes a much, much heavier pellet. I do think this is part of the problem. They work well enough in my 1950s  8ft lb cadet rifle that I used with my boys when they were young

I now only use Exact Jumbo Diablo, available in four diameters and two weights for 22. Never looked back. The air rifle section of my club the Exact Diablo pellts are the most popular choice by far for field target shooters.

Almost universaliy popular I would say, but the good thing is the members will  always give you a little sample from their tin if you ask. So you can try out all the different weight and diameter combinations.

Thats how I have come to realise how much importance these competitive air rifle types place upon pellet diameter and weight

Before this I thought a pellet was a pellet but It turns out its absolutely not 

Its a science

Edited by Vince Green

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

They are so very light, too light in fact,  my main rifle likes a much, much heavier pellet. I do think this is part of the problem. They work well enough in my 1950s  8ft lb cadet rifle that I used with my boys when they were young

I now only use Exact Jumbo Diablo, available in four diameters and two weights for 22. Never looked back. The air rifle section of my club the Exact Diablo pellts are the most popular choice by far for field target shooters.

Almost universaliy popular I would say, but the good thing is the members will  always give you a little sample from their tin if you ask. So you can try

Thats how I have come to realise how much importance these competitive air rifle types place upon pellet diameter and weight

Before this I thought a pellet was a pellet but It turns out its absolutely not 

Its a science

This could explain why they work ok in the qb78 as it’s running at about 7ftlbs 

Ill stick to heavier pellets but used them in the  qb once tuned I’ll test it again. 

On 04/08/2021 at 11:33, welshwarrior said:

Those look very different to the ribbed skirted ones I’ve got. 

They have only been like this now for about a year since the old manufacturer stopped production.

On 04/08/2021 at 16:46, Ultrastu said:

They look like h+n ftt 

Possibly made by H&N but defiantly a lower grade than FTT .

On 04/08/2021 at 20:39, Rimfireboy said:

It does say precision on the tin😂

The tin is not very precision though, getting the lid to screw on correctly is a nightmare😅