Re visiting side by sides too long .

MARSH GUN

After a 30 year absence from, using side by sides. i started using my old AYA no 4 on pigeons, And i can only say its been too long a break from them. i enjoyed using the gun after all these years and can not ever remember shooting it so well back in the day.rise.

I decided i favoured the OUs and semi autos, but now i am not so sure. my  re visited side by side journey started about three years ago with a 32 inch elderkins magnum i acquired from an old friend, which i found i liked for some of my wildfowling.

I think i will be using the old  no 4 much more in the future. So if that old side by side you fell out with all those years ago is just sat gathering dust, get it out and start using it again it might be like me its a supprise how much you actually like it.

Edited by MARSH GUN

On 02/08/2021 at 23:36, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, ah the number 4 is a classic AYA , what cartridge you using MM ?

Reload mostly but been shooting some Jocker LAs 28 grams at moment,n got them a few years ago from alan at park lodge when he was still down there.  I will Look at a 1oz reload i think, i am enjoying shooting the side by sides.

12 hours ago, MARSH GUN said:

Reload mostly but been shooting some Jocker LAs 28 grams at moment,n got them a few years ago from alan at park lodge when he was still down there.  I will Look at a 1oz reload i think, i am enjoying shooting the side by sides.

Hello, that's about the same as Eley impax that I used in my 25 box lock, 

On another thread I mentioned how I'd acquired a scarce old Baikal IZH54 SxS. I've taken it out a few times now and its been improving all the time with pigeon totals of 34, 28, 65, 76, 52 and its, and my best ever 111 yesterday. Its choked at 5 and 18 thou under bore size and is clearly the gun for me. Its an expensive mistress though,,the best patterns are with a diet of Hull Imperial Game 28g of No. 6. That said, it still shoots well with Eley 30g No.7 ,Eley Pigeon Select 30g No.6 or even Fiocchi 28g 7.5 but none smell quite as delightfully as the Hull cartridges. I've decided that this gun will be maintained/repaired regardless of cost for the remainder of my shooting life as none of my others are quite as good.

Hull Imperial Game (fibre) is one of my favourites; I had it down as 'mid price' rather than expensive, but for me (I shoot only a few hundred a year at game) worthwhile as it is smooth shooting in a light gun and I have confidence in it.  Hull CompX (fibre) 21g is another nice cartridge they do .......

Guest cookoff013

these lighter / smaller sxs were never ever designed to shoot 1500fps loads +

most game loads are fast, even 2.5" loads.

just buy slow loads if you can. makes shooting these even more enjoyable.