End of an era

Gunman

Well thats it , The guns have gone , the cabinet has gone and I have just informed the Firearms Licencing I wont be renewing my Shotgun Certificate .

I held one for 51 years and haven't fired a gun for other than testing purposes for more than 30 of those. 

I did think that having spent all my working life in the Gun Trade  I would miss it when I retired,  but  surprisingly it  no longer has much interest to me at all . All I have left are a few gun books which I will no doubt offer for sale .

Strange that having been fascinated with guns form an  very early age , not so much the shooting but the making , the style and the workings , that this  major part of my life now seems so far in the past . 

I also shoot far less times now that I did say ten to fifteen years ago, I have not shot driven game for probably seven years, after being a syndicate member for a long time, our shooting land changed hands, and the syndicate folded, and I also used to go pigeon shooting  on a weekly basis.

I now only shoot occasionally, but take great pleasure in being a helping hand on the shoot my son is the gamekeeper on, I have plenty of opportunities to shoot, but my enthusiasm has definitely waned.

35 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Although I still shoot, if im honest the shine has deminished alot for me also. I think with the restrictive manner in which shooting sports has become it has taken the fun out of it for me. I understand why it's gone as it has, because society has changed. 

I can relate to this, I am disheartened by the red tape and obstacles put in place just to stop us, nothing to do with conservation never has been, simular reason why I stop fishing so not be long before I pack in, annoying thing is its your recreation and exercise, these anti Bs have a lot to answer for 

Well I’ve had an SGC for 43 years and a FAC for 32.I was shooting air rifles  when I was about 9 and .22 lr and 303 when I was 14 in the ATC.I won’t give up , stuff the antis and Vegans just hardens my resolve to keep going .Always happiest out in the Country witha gun in hand or just binoculars enjoying nature.👍 

1 minute ago, fallowbuck said:

Well I’ve had an SGC for 43 years and a FAC for 32.I was shooting air rifles  when I was about 9 and .22 lr and 303 when I was 14 in the ATC.I won’t give up , stuff the antis and Vegans just hardens my resolve to keep going .Always happiest out in the Country witha gun in hand or just binoculars enjoying nature.👍 

good on you nobody is going to grind me down to the point where i give in stuff the fools prob snuff it sat over a pattern just hope I shot a few first 

Well I wish you well in your retirement and fully understand where you are at.  However it does not in any way relate to me.   I had my first gun an old BSA  177 some 74 years ago come 2nd Sept. I have had a gun and shot various types from that day on both for pleasure and business and it is unusual if a day goes by that I do not have a gun in my hand at some point.

I cannot for the life of me see that ever changing unless they cut a slot in the lid.  

I have been very lucky health wise which has allowed me to still enjoy .

3 hours ago, Gunman said:

Well thats it , The guns have gone , the cabinet has gone and I have just informed the Firearms Licencing I wont be renewing my Shotgun Certificate .

I held one for 51 years and haven't fired a gun for other than testing purposes for more than 30 of those. 

I did think that having spent all my working life in the Gun Trade  I would miss it when I retired,  but  surprisingly it  no longer has much interest to me at all . All I have left are a few gun books which I will no doubt offer for sale .

Strange that having been fascinated with guns form an  very early age , not so much the shooting but the making , the style and the workings , that this  major part of my life now seems so far in the past . 

I wish you and Ditchy long and happy retirements. Don’t stray too far from the forum. 👍

Edited by Scully

I still have the desire- call of the wild, whatever you choose to call it to shoot pigeons regularly, however I am more selective about when I set up. Years ago I would go decoying regardless of weather conditions- and had some proper soaking as a result.

I think my bags are probably larger now although I go out less often.

I honestly don’t think I will ever lose the feeling of anticipation when a decoying situation is identified.

I still enjoy my clay shooting very much, but my S x S English gun has sat in the cupboard for a few years now and is likely to remain there, owing to the steel shot debacle. I try to shoot clays once a week and meet up with a group of other like minded pensioners. I also like to visit other clay grounds rather than stick to the same place and as long as I can still lift a gun, shall continue to do so. I buy the VERY occasional game day, (around 3 a season) again with a few friends. 

Just turned 80 and have been shooting for 63 years, was a member of the local Shooting Assoc since 1975.   Only thing which stops me now id the cost, and in the case of the Assoc , which has a pretty decant pheasant shoot, is the hard going most beating days are easier than the  Assoc Shoot.

Blackpowder

i think the reason / s...i have stopped is

1. it is virtually nigh on impossible to sell the pigeons i have shot
  2. i only shoot if i know it will go in the food chain
  3. 12 bores are starting to jag me now..i get rattled by them
  4. also very small ammounts of pigeon to go at around here
  5. absolute bind in renewing certificate

may take up rat shooting tho'

2 hours ago, Imperfection said:

Licensing make it as awkward as they can when you're renewing but im too stubborn to give in without a fight. They questioned my suitability at last renewal to continue having SGC & FAC after i suffered a stroke few months earlier when i was 49.

I just dug my heels in.

That's not my experience with when my FLO called at last renewal 3 years ago i was thinking of getting rid of all my weapons, he convinced me to see how it goes, and i ended up keeping my certificates.

I have had to get a letter from the doctor since before it became the fashion because i have PTSD, but my doctor is happy, and the firearms dept is happy, as long as you can show you are capable they will accept it.

Strangely had a conversation with a good shooting friend last night and said i was ready to sell everything, i got rid of all my decoying stuff to a lad starting out last year so he has a good start, but i just haven't been inclined to go out shooting these days, photography and the trike seem to be taking over, and Jake my dog is 13 now, he retired coming up 2 years after a great day of doing some great pheasant retrives while rough shooting, he now has a cateract in one eye, and i am sure he is only seeing shadows, there was a cat 5 foot in front of him tonight and he couldn't see it, and his back legs give out almost daily these days, it just doesn't seem the same without him by my side,we made the decision that Jake will be the last dog, it saddens me, but it's the right move.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Hopefully you're staying on the forum? Without sounding like I'm kissing *** your expertise and experience has been invaluable, enjoy your retirement.

Thanks Guy's  . I will continue to look once in a while as I will with another couple of forums .

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Plenty of rats about 4 legged and 2 legged 

This is a decision we will all have to make one day and for some of us oldies the day might not be that far away .my first two reasons are the same as Ditchman , throughout my shooting life which now span 60 years I have always managed to sell everything I have shot , in the case of wild geese , although no cash have changed hands I have been rewarded in other ways , in the early days I don't mind admitting when money was tight I shot a lot of stuff purely to sell , now I don't need to shoot to sell but I must admit it is getting harder and harder to offload a bag of Pigeons , this last four years I had a nice little outlet at the village pub , before the out break of the virus I was dropping off 40 every week up until mid September when the holiday trade died off and the pub shut for two weeks holiday , now after four years and the turmoil of the last 18 months  the young couple who ran the pub are not renewing the lease ,  I rang the game dealers this week and the good news is they are still taking pigeons , the bad news is they are paying 10p for fresh and frozen , I have to make over a 80 mile return trip to drop them off , I will drop them off when both of my freezers are full but for how much longer ? who knows .

I am now coming up for 74 and my dog is 6 , all my Labs have got to and gone into double figures , so if my one now reach 12 and if I am still here I will be 80 and it wouldn't be right taking on a working puppy at that age, 

On top of that I no longer get the buzz out of shooting like I did in the past , three years ago when my wildfowling marshes were sold I re joined my old wildfowling club who took on the shooting rights on my old marshes just so I could continue going on them , at the time I was the oldest new member the club had ever took on :lol: and I have renewed my subs for this coming season , just in case I get the urge to have the odd night flighting but now I don't bother till nearly November and just go when the weather feel right and not to fill my freezer up .

My s g c run out in three years time and it might be doubtful if I renew it , another case of wait and see .

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

if you get bored you can always take up mole trapping