Tree/fruit identification?

dogger

I'd call it a wild plum. It might have a proper name but that's what I call them. Small stoned fruit bigger than a damson but smaller than a true plum. They come in yellow/orange, red and purple. They're ready pretty soon and have a very small window of ripeness. Small shiny green leaves, spikes on the thin branches similar to blackthorn. We had loads at our house when we moved in. Theyre quite tasty really.

19 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

I'd call it a wild plum. It might have a proper name but that's what I call them. Small stoned fruit bigger than a damson but smaller than a true plum. They come in yellow/orange, red and purple. They're ready pretty soon and have a very small window of ripeness. Small shiny green leaves, spikes on the thin branches similar to blackthorn. We had loads at our house when we moved in. Theyre quite tasty really.

Yep you describe bullace but I think this one is not bullace, wrong shape. Bullace have a distinctive 'groove' down one side.  I would go for greengage ..golden gage are a bit larger. 

On 03/08/2021 at 22:17, Benthejockey said:

I`ve always known them as cherry plums. As you say, come in all colours.

I picked a few from our tree yesterday. 

OB

IMG_2049.JPG

I think I often call them cherry plums but I believe they are the result of the root stock suckers growing from what was probably a cultivated plum tree. I’m not sure what stocks they use when budding plum trees but I would say they are something similar to a wild/natural plum.

They often grow where once stood an orchard. 

Edited by lister1