A great fascination of mine.

JDog

I go back a fair way and remember riding on the bagging deck of the first combine to come into our area. If I remember it was a 10ft cut, no cab, driver sat out in the open above the bed. It was a Claas if I remember correctly. 1959-60 or thereabouts and eveerybody was facinated with this machine back then.  The corn was shot into 2 1/4 cwt railway sacks which had to be tied correctly and rolled stitched between the 'rabbit ears' before being pushed down a slide and when you had three bags on the slide you pulled a lever and they slid to the ground.   The plan was to leave them all in a line to be picked up by tractor and trailer by hand.  I seriously believe that is what did my back in and now have sciatica. A wet hanky tied round the nose and mouth kept most of the dust at bay.

Edited by Walker570

This is my sister and I sitting on the bonnet of my grandfather's landrover watching the combine in 1979 or 1980.  It was one of the old open cab Claas machines, and it fed a stream of old cab over engine Bedford lorries taking the wheat back to the dryer.

The tree line in the far distance was an old orchard and the trees had grown through an old prewar pink threshing machine which had been parked long ago.  Grandad farmed from before the war right through to the 1990s.  I still love watching the harvester at work and the smell especially takes me right back.

20210803_012615.jpg

Some really nice pictures, definitely something charismatic about harvesting.
Great memories, especially for those of us that remember fields of stooks (good pigeon shooting) and days spent threshing (rat killing).
We have witnessed a true engineering/technical revolution in farming. 

Magnificent machines, it’s little wonder driving them is the cream job on a farm reserved for the highest in the pecking order. 
I worked in agriculture for several years in my early working life and still miss harvest time/tractor work even now…..amazing time of year and the machinery just keeps getting better/bigger and higher tech! 

3 minutes ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Magnificent machines, it’s little wonder driving them is the cream job on a farm reserved for the highest in the pecking order. 
I worked in agriculture for several years in my early working life and still miss harvest time/tractor work even now…..amazing time of year and the machinery just keeps getting better/bigger and higher tech! 

Hello, and more expensive 🤔

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I go back a fair way and remember riding on the bagging deck of the first combine to come into our area. If I remember it was a 10ft cut, no cab, driver sat out in the open above the bed. It was a Claas if I remember correctly. 1959-60 or thereabouts and eveerybody was facinated with this machine back then.  The corn was shot into 2 1/4 cwt railway sacks which had to be tied correctly and rolled stitched between the 'rabbit ears' before being pushed down a slide and when you had three bags on the slide you pulled a lever and they slid to the ground.   The plan was to leave them all in a line to be picked up by tractor and trailer by hand.  I seriously believe that is what did my back in and now have sciatica. A wet hanky tied round the nose and mouth kept most of the dust at bay.

When you see the advancements lets say over the last 20 years , where will we be over the next 20 years , the combine Mr JDog mentioned have got a 40 cutter on it and one farm I go on have got a old Class with a 15 ft spreader on it and I believe it is now classed as a classic motor  , the modern combines are remarkable machines and the day will come where the smaller farms will have all the combining done by contractors as it will to expensive to maintain a combine for a farm that have only got a small amount of acres , it don't stop with the combines as the bailing machines are also getting bigger .

In the late 60s me and my brother took a tractor and trailer on the marshes and loaded up the trailer with the small oblong bails , we then took them back to the farm and piled them up in the Dutch barn , we got cash in hand which was about a fiver a day which was around a ten hour day , I walked my dog around the same fields this morning and the the land the sons kept on I have still got the shooting rights which now span just over 50 years , well worth spending a few days in my younger days loading up the straw cart . 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I drove one of these as a lad [about 1970,] a  Massey 510,

Much the same - we had a Massey 515 12 foot cut which was I think the same as 510 to all practical purposes.   From memory, a reliable machine, though it would have already been several years old when we got it.  Perkins 6 cyl engine under that big curved part next to the driver.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Much the same - we had a Massey 515 12 foot cut which was I think the same as 510 to all practical purposes.   From memory, a reliable machine, though it would have already been several years old when we got it.  Perkins 6 cyl engine under that big curved part next to the driver.

Thats it. started on the button, 10-00am to 10-00 pm, no cab and the fantastic aroma of fresh crops....and the dust!

I had the pleasure of driving this to a farm sale 2 miles away. It had virtually no brakes and you had to pump the clutch 6 or 7 time's rapidly to get it to work.

We decided to drive it through Morton at 9am on a Sunday morning thinking everyone will still be in bed or just getting up, how wrong was I it seemed like everyone had come out to see what the noise was. Rear wheel steer isn't the best getting a large combine around car's but we did manage it. 

20210803_161339_copy_1512x2016.jpg

I went to a farm in Notts a couple of years ago to look around the farm ready for rat shooting, the farmer was showing me around when I saw a New Holland 8030 the next model down from the one in my picture. I asked him who had restored it and to a high level , his reply was its original the old boy who bought it in the 80s rather than pay the tax man had it from new and it only ever cut 60 acres a year.