Last Friday

Scully

Desperate to get a day on the barley stubbles before they were turned over, we landed up at the farm we shot the 100 on before the crop was cut.
There was about 80 acres to choose from, covered in pigeons crows and geese when we drove round, all of which took flight of course. 
We decided to pitch between two trees with our backs to the railway, set up the Whitley and a few shells and sat down to wait. 
Then it started to rain, then it rained some more. The Fells disappeared and then it decided to rain a bit more. 
There were quite a few birds flitting about, including geese, between the showers, and for whatever reason a lot of ferals. 
It was slow going, even after swapping the whirly birds for real ones, and after three hours, wet through and surprisingly cold, decided to pack up. 
We only had 15 birds. We drove to the place we had shot the 100 to collect combine flattened cartridges from that outing, to be met by hundreds of crows and pigeons erupting from the stubble! They were still sat on the fences as we drove back past them! 😕

Hey Ho, nevermind. At least it had stopped raining. Had the craic with the landowner and came away….still the spring barley to go yet. 🙂

Some of can relate to very similar days , although now a day's I try and pack up before I get myself and all the gear wet , last Saturday was a perfect example , I set up on a fairly small Barley stubble field and a friend of mine was about a mile away on another field of stubble , just when I pulled up on the field the sky was looking Black and even before I set up it started with rain showers , I rang my mate up and he said the sky was looking a lot brighter behind him and it had now stopped raining , so it was game on , having set up and started to get the odd shot I could hear my mate getting a few as well , this carried on for a couple of hours and the sky was rapidly changing colour from a gloomy Grey to a even gloomier Black , towards the town I could hear the thunder and could see the streaks of rain , this was time to up stumps before it came our way , time I cleared up the first spits were hitting my windscreen and a few minutes later it was chucking it down , my mate stuck it out a bit longer by sitting under a fishing umberella but packed it in when the lightening started , I know the time when I would have done the same but the older you get the wiser you get :lol: 

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

Some of can relate to very similar days , although now a day's I try and pack up before I get myself and all the gear wet , last Saturday was a perfect example , I set up on a fairly small Barley stubble field and a friend of mine was about a mile away on another field of stubble , just when I pulled up on the field the sky was looking Black and even before I set up it started with rain showers , I rang my mate up and he said the sky was looking a lot brighter behind him and it had now stopped raining , so it was game on , having set up and started to get the odd shot I could hear my mate getting a few as well , this carried on for a couple of hours and the sky was rapidly changing colour from a gloomy Grey to a even gloomier Black , towards the town I could hear the thunder and could see the streaks of rain , this was time to up stumps before it came our way , time I cleared up the first spits were hitting my windscreen and a few minutes later it was chucking it down , my mate stuck it out a bit longer by sitting under a fishing umberella but packed it in when the lightening started , I know the time when I would have done the same but the older you get the wiser you get  

Ho so true been there done that got the T shirt.