16g hammer gun Ebrall of Shrewsbury

Benthejockey

On 04/08/2021 at 11:50, Benthejockey said:

Unfortunately it's only fit for using to hammer nails in. It's out of proof and beyond economical repair.

How is the “gunsmith” determining economic repair 

if you put say £400 into it ie rejoint fine bore and re brown then the gun is worth maybe £600 or £700 

your picture shows it’s off it’s bed which most guns are , if it’s tight on it’s face then that’s all that matters 

On 04/08/2021 at 18:32, Velocette said:

I always thought that a thou or two gap between the water table and the flats was acceptable providing its still on the face.

Water table ?? have you been watching America forums ? I dont know where or who started using the term but I guess it was a writer . There are several such terms used in books that are not correct but have gotten into every day parlance .

The correct term is the " flats , action flats and barrel flats .

There needs to be a clearance between them otherwise the gun will not bite down on the face correctly .This was usually .002" at the front and .004/.006" at the back on a new gun . When barrels are " hard down on the flats there is no "spring" in the action and the gun will shoot of face quickly .It also has the effect of making the lever seem very tight to open .

56 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Sorry to hear that. Brian had kept going when Colin died but I have been away for five years. Yet another traditional gunsmithing firm lost.

It was an incredibly emotional day removing all section one and two parts for Liz 😢 

decades of parts and dust , the building will be gone soon and turned into flats 

3 hours ago, wabbitbosher said:

It was an incredibly emotional day removing all section one and two parts for Liz 😢 

decades of parts and dust , the building will be gone soon and turned into flats 

Only hope the name is recognised in the flats in some way. Had many happy memories chatting with Colin over a mug of tea when I dropped guns off for work. Learned so much about how the gun trade worked back in the day.