Benelli 828U

Lloyd90

Has anyone recently used the Benelli 828U? 

I am considering selling my Silver Pigeons and getting something.

The fact you can adjust shims on this like a semi auto to get the (hopefully) correct fit is quite appealing. 

They also don’t look terrible, although not exactly conventional I’d admit. 

I quite liked them when they first appeared on the scene, but have never got any further than handling one at a game fair. 
They don’t seem to have taken off from a sales point of view, and I can’t ever recall seeing one either on a trap shoot or any other shoot day. 
My nephew bought one and quite liked it but said it was a mite light if you shot a lot of clays. He had it repaired under warranty when the rib started to peel off the barrel, and subsequently traded it in. 

Just do your homework on them, it had a bad reputation for reliability when first introduced, John from the gun shop botly said he whoudent deal in them and they are quite pricey to start with but I have to agree with you on the engineering principles though 

I’ve had a few clients who bought them there different 3 of them (50%) returned them with months due to split ribs one only last 2 shots.  

They are different and the handling is erm different.  I can see where they sit or what gap they fill apart from being different.  

I guess you’d say I’m not a fan. 

Pure hearsay and speculation, but I was told in a gunshop Benelli only made them to annoy Beretta (their new owners) in some kind of corporate tit-for-tat after a bit of 'borrowing' of Benelli IP for use in one of their other brands, Franchi.

Good story, and sort of lives up to Italian stereotypes....but ultimately brings very little to this thread 😁

Go shoot one, that's your only answer.

Does seem like trading a silver pigeon for one of those would be like trading a Ford Focus for an Alfa Romeo....Just make sure it's a good Alfa....

3 hours ago, stu64 said:

I've only seen 2 being used, a friend of mine bought one but got rid- couldn't stand the recoil. I saw him shooting it and declined having a go with it. the other was a guy at a farm clay shoot- again the recoil was punishing.

The game version is very light for a 12 and therefore thumpy recoil is a given. I gather the sporter is heavier but it still begs the question... Why?

I'm no Beretta fanboy but I'd take a Silver Pig over an 828 Benelli every time.

I had one the silver action model save your money and buy something else it was one of the worst guns I’ve owned recoil is terrible even with light loads I’ve just bough a browning Sporter laminate haven’t tried it yet should be better than the Benelli 

I've got the sporting o/u version.  I don't like it.  One time it wouldn't open for reasons unknown.  The morning I was going to take it back to the shop, guess what, it opened.  Then on another occasion a spent shell didn't eject and somehow got trapped below the ejector.  I had to take the gun home broken out of it's case (I have a boot cover and tinted windows so no one could see it). I managed to get the shell out.  The last time I used it was in Dec 2019. 

I need to change it for something else. Thinking of a Silver Pigeon 3 Sporter or maybe pushing the boat out on a eell. 

Hi, first time post for me :)

I shot an 828U at Spitfire last week, it's one of their club guns. It was nice and light, maybe a bit too light for my liking. The bottom ejector was having some issues, but could just be a maintenance thing.

I shot terribly with it, compared to my usual silver pigeon. I am a very early day shooter so I only have a few guns to reference it to. But, it felt cheap in my hands and I personally did terrible with it. I had also needed to change to Amber carts as their usual Lyalvales were out of stock. Nice cart as a side note.

I personally don't like how it looks, and prefer the SP to answer the OP. But, it's all down to what we like! Try one and if it works for you, then it will serve you better!

• 2 weeks later...