Foxes? digging holes in lawn and flower beds

Bobba

We live in central Bristol and back on to an allotment notorious for foxes. Small holes have started to appear in the lawn and flowerbeds and plants are being uprooted. Mrs B is of the view that a number of small plants have disappeared! A neighbour has suggested it could be foxes digging for worms.

Years back I inherited a tin of Renardine but this has all gone and is now banned. So, advice welcomed please on how to deter foxes and prevent further damage. Thank you.

Well a 22 rimmy in the ear usually does the job but not knowing your set up that might not be possible. Then of course you have disposal as you would with a live catch cage.

Find where they are enering and douse the place with diesel and hang on diesel soaked rags which has worked for me in dissuading badgers from an area.

Knowing the reputation of Bristol for foxes I think your up against it a bit with neighbours probably feeding them.

Electric fencer of course would work particularlya mains one. Pity your so far away I could lend you one to try.

Edited by Walker570

We get foxes coming into the garden on a regular bases and have never seen one dig small holes in the lawn but having said that they do sometimes bury bits of food in the flower beds and planters, living where you do it will be an ongoing battle to keep them out of your garden. .22lr maybe??

are you sure its not a squirrel or even a badger?

Our keeper used to put some of the Yellow flashing road lamps around the release pens and as far as I know they used to do the trick .

These were out in the country , town and suburban Fox's might be used to flashing lamps and show no fear whatsoever , best to put a small camera down to see what is causing the problem and then go on from there once you know who or what the culprit is . 

23 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Knowing the reputation of Bristol for foxes I think your up against it a bit with neighbours probably feeding them.

This wouldn’t surprise me. A street of tree huggers. Some years back I was reported for having a Larsen trap in the back garden for the magpies out on the allotments. Neighbours didn’t like what the magpies did to the birds but didn’t like what I did to the magpies 😂 It came to nothing.

21 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Badgers!

I’d be surprised if it was a badger. The garden is escape proof for the grandchildren’s border terrier so it would require an agile gymnastic badger to get in. However, our garage at the end of the garden (accessed by a lane) is set into the hill and I suspect a fox comes onto the flat roof from next doors garden (uphill from ours) and drops into the garden.

A mate has used Scoot and Tiger Poo with some success so will give them a try.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Update. With many badger opinions I surveyed my defences. Lo and behold I found that a section of fence post pinned under a fence to prevent the dog escaping out under the fence had been dug out and pushed aside via my neighbours garden. More badger than fox. So will scour Amazon for trail cam satisfy my curiosity once and for all.

32 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Update. With many badger opinions I surveyed my defences. Lo and behold I found that a section of fence post pinned under a fence to prevent the dog escaping out under the fence had been dug out and pushed aside via my neighbours garden. More badger than fox. So will scour Amazon for trail cam satisfy my curiosity once and for all.

Thought it might be a Badger as you see a lot this type of activity near Badger sets, digging lots of small holes looking for grubs and worms.

25 minutes ago, old'un said:

Thought it might be a Badger as you see a lot this type of activity near Badger sets, digging lots of small holes looking for grubs and worms.

My friends fathers grave (grass covered) looked like it had been vandalised.

Recently laid turf rolled back , holes dug nearby, pots ect strewn about, he asked me if it could be badgers, I replied 'highly unlikely' ...
Until I did a bit of research, and it is fairly common , they search ,and do roll back turf, looking for a certain grub underneath.

Try soaking some rag in diesel and hang it in and around the access point.  I had a small problem with them using an access track in my wood as a latrine.  I hung half a dozen old rags soaked well along the track and never had a problem there since.  They have pretty sensitive scenting ability and obviously do not like diesel.

Edited by Walker570