6 ft lb Air Pistol

paul87

Hello all

I've taken a fancy for an air pistol for a bit of plinking and possibly a bit of pest control for the likes of pigeon and rats in barns.

I've seen an SMK Victory CP2 which I like the look of, 6 ft lb and can be a pistol or you can swap the barrel to a longer one and add a stock to make it into a rifle of sorts.

Can anyone advise if they are any good at £180 or advise of a similar multi shot pistol at the same sort of money?

I'm a .22 fan but thinking at 6ft lb .177 would be a better option, would I be right in thinking the .22 would drop quickly at this level of power?

Thanks

These cp2 airguns are great value and versatile. 

Yes a .22 pistol at 5 fpe will loop like a rainbow .but up to 15 yds will bosh cans around fine (useless for hunting in practical terms ) the .22 rifle should make around 8 fpe in sumer and maybe 5 -6 fpe in winter  .this being the biggest issue with co2 the variations in power they suffer and as such makes them limited on range .

The .177 versions are a bit lower again on power than the .22s  but the higher velocities can flatten the  trajectory arc .

From what I've seen the accuracy is "OK "given the right pellet .

The biggest issue I have with them is the legal side of putting a long barrel on the gun with a removable but stock effectively making it a 8 fpe pistol and hence out side the law  .

Hence I don't own one .

Thanks Ditchman
I want a pistol for plinking first and foremost, the fact it comes with the longer barrel and stock is just a bonus. 

Would you have any input on the calibre at that power?

I have an FAC TX200 which will be used for hunting but would consider the pistol inside a barn for rats or birds.

17 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

These cp2 airguns are great value and versatile. 

Yes a .22 pistol at 5 fpe will loop like a rainbow .but up to 15 yds will bosh cans around fine (useless for hunting in practical terms ) the .22 rifle should make around 8 fpe in sumer and maybe 5 -6 fpe in winter  .this being the biggest issue with co2 the variations in power they suffer and as such makes them limited on range .

The .177 versions are a bit lower again on power than the .22s  but the higher velocities can flatten the  trajectory arc .

From what I've seen the accuracy is "OK "given the right pellet .

The biggest issue I have with them is the legal side of putting a long barrel on the gun with a removable but stock effectively making it a 8 fpe pistol and hence out side the law  .

Hence I don't own one .

I'm in Northern Ireland and as such it will have to go on my FAC regardless.
I understand what you mean about the difference in power due to the climate and also as I understand the rate of fire can have an impact.
I do a bit of plinking with my elderly uncle in his yard out to 25m, I thought he would enjoy this due to the ease of cocking and fast reloading. And I fancy giving a pistol a go with open sights just for the fun.

I have an FAC HW80 in .177 but I am yet to find a pellet it likes, it's a pig to cock and the scope mount (1 piece) is constantly being pushed off the back of the scope rail. I think it has been modified with a heavier spring to make it more powerful, but it has made it almost unusable. I have only ever used it for plinking but would be trading this in for the CP2. I know I could modify it to reduce the power and make it more usable but really fancy the multi shot pistol.

Edited by paul87

27 minutes ago, paul87 said:

I'm in Northern Ireland and as such it will have to go on my FAC regardless.
I understand what you mean about the difference in power due to the climate and also as I understand the rate of fire can have an impact.
I do a bit of plinking with my elderly uncle in his yard out to 25m, I thought he would enjoy this due to the ease of cocking and fast reloading. And I fancy giving a pistol a go with open sights just for the fun.

I have an FAC HW80 in .177 but I am yet to find a pellet it likes, it's a pig to cock and the scope mount (1 piece) is constantly being pushed off the back of the scope rail. I think it has been modified with a heavier spring to make it more powerful, but it has made it almost unusable. I have only ever used it for plinking but would be trading this in for the CP2. I know I could modify it to reduce the power and make it more usable but really fancy the multi shot pistol.

Then in that case get the .22 

The .22 pellet will bop tin cans around well ,especially  if you use a flat head  rws hobby .and for any hunting application  look at the jsb rs /falcon accuracy plus pellet at 13.4 grns .they are light and have great accuracy and retain energy .

Use it in  summer and enjoy .

Don't bother  so much on cold days  

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

Then in that case get the .22 

The .22 pellet will bop tin cans around well ,especially  if you use a flat head  rws hobby .and for any hunting application  look at the jsb rs /falcon accuracy plus pellet at 13.4 grns .they are light and have great accuracy and retain energy .

Use it in  summer and enjoy .

Don't bother  so much on cold days  

Thanks again

3 minutes ago, paul87 said:

Nice
I will definitely read into them, thank you.
Is it difficult to pump? Again with my elderly uncle in mind
Multi shot?

Single shot.

Two pumps for plinking sufficient and reasonably easy.

Three pumps is somewhat harder. Just don't try using two hands in opposition to each other - a waste of force - rest the pistol on something firm so that all the effort is applied to the barrel - no problem then - I'm 77 and riddled with osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.

Just now, wymberley said:

Single shot.

Two pumps for plinking sufficient and reasonably easy.

Three pumps is somewhat harder. Just don't try using two hands in opposition to each other - a waste of force - rest the pistol on something firm so that all the effort is applied to the barrel - no problem then - I'm 77 and riddled with osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.

Thank you, perfect answer. My uncle is a little older but very fit. I will definitely investigate further

Essexcutpriceairguns are doing the snowpeak pp700 PCP Pistol for £100, approx 100 shots bang on the legal limit, stocks are £15 from the same supplier (so I have been informed but not checked myself) doubt that you will beat that for value, no sights on it but the pp700 s-a is just £30 more and comes with sights but these things are so accurate that you will need a red dot or scope. 

Edited by bruno22rf

Thanks for all the advice guys. After speaking to a local RFD I have been advised that in Northern Ireland you have to be a member of a target club for at least a year before you can get an air pistol and it can only be used in a target club. Every days a school day ey.

I'll put it on hold for now unless I am told otherwise.

But again thanks for all the input and help.

Paul

On 06/08/2021 at 09:53, paul87 said:

Thanks for all the advice guys. After speaking to a local RFD I have been advised that in Northern Ireland you have to be a member of a target club for at least a year before you can get an air pistol and it can only be used in a target club. Every days a school day ey.

I'll put it on hold for now unless I am told otherwise.

But again thanks for all the input and help.

Paul

With those hoops to jump through for something that has less energy than a catapult, you may as well have a live firing pistol. Aren’t they still legal in Northern Ireland?

On 07/08/2021 at 10:20, Rimfireboy said:

With those hoops to jump through for something that has less energy than a catapult, you may as well have a live firing pistol. Aren’t they still legal in Northern Ireland?

Exactly
Could just as easily get a live firing pistol.
No hassle getting an FAC PCP air rifle, just a matter of me trading one in for another.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, redial said:

I've had and enjoyed air pistols but they are plinkers only, in my opinion.

100% agree not enough oomph to clean kill a lot are gas cartridge operated and drop pressure quickly after so many shots. One of the best springer ones I remeber was the weirhauch hw45 

6 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

100% agree not enough oomph to clean kill a lot are gas cartridge operated and drop pressure quickly after so many shots. One of the best springer ones I remeber was the weirhauch hw45 

You have clearly not encountered a PP700, PCP, 100+ shot bang on the legal limit, recoilless (obviously) and more than accurate enough to take small game at reasonable distances.