Leather gun slip ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

I received my new leather gun slip today after a 2 week wait. It seemed as it was made back to front or for a left hander.

No good for me so sent it straight back for a refund. Looking at it from the front the zip was on the left of the case..

I've had quite a few cases over the years but never seen one like this before. Back looking now for another one.

Most slips are ambidex... pity you didn't take a photo.  If your right handed and it has a full length zip then after initially opening it you should take hold of the shotgun with your right hand as you complete unzipping with the left and then break the gun open before fully withdrawing it.  Sounds to me it was spot on.

3 hours ago, reindeer said:

Never leave a damp or wet gun in a leather gun slip overnight, unless it is lined with a synthetic fabric.

This much is excellent advice - however - I would never risk it regardless of what the liner (or indeed the slip) is made from. 

If a gun is left in any 'enclosed space' or almost anywhere when wet/damp - it is likely to rust ......... I learned that the hard way over one night when I was about 18!

Guns need to be dry, allowed to be in free(ish) air and metal parts very sparingly coated with oil/inhibitor.

1 minute ago, London Best said:

Fixed it for you.

You beat me to it by seconds!

Edited by JohnfromUK

17 minutes ago, elgreco said:

I’m struggling to understand how a gun slip can be left or right handed. Perhaps a diagram or photo please? 

I think the answer is this; The lower one in the photo is 'handed' because the shoulder strap is mounted on one side.  To open it, you hold it in your right hand and open the zip with the left hand.  The upper slip is not handed because the shoulder strap is mounted on the fold (edge) so the strap can be held with either hand when opening it.  I can only guess that is what is meant and before this thread had never thought of them as handed.

F2B4171A-DDC4-4373-A4C8-6560311F141D_1_105_c.jpeg

If I am wrong can someone please correct me as it means I don't know what makes them handed either!

Edited by JohnfromUK