Driving across rape stubble

Maccarjm

Sort and snappy this one…Does anyone drive across rape stubbles ? 

I’m more than happy to drive across wheat/barley stubbles but have always wondered if it was safe to do so over the cut rape.  Stalks can be seriously sharp so wondered if it would damage tyres/ body work of my motor. ( have a small hatchback) 

One of those questions that haven't got a 100% answer , maybe I have been lucky and haven't done any serious damage to any of the motors I have had , but I have heard a lot of horror stories with the stalks going through tyres , ripping brake pipes and as already mentioned , stalks going in the radiator and no doubt many more expensive problems that we haven't heard about , you can see the dangers are there and it is up to the person if he or she want to take that risk ? , I would take the risk but I would try and drive across where the tractors have already flattened the stalks and if the stubble had thick and tall stalks then I might think twice and give it a miss .

I wouldn’t risk it with your hatchback. Rape stubble is nasty stuff - especially if the stalks are long. Also, if it rains you might have difficulty getting back out with a 2 wheel drive. All this shouldn’t stop you getting a bag full though - just a little more carrying. Happy hunting!

errrrr..............dont use a dog........on new rape stubbles................i believe one of the moderators fell on a rape stubble and hurt himself quite badly a few years ago..........this is a post that often comes up this time of year

Never had a problem, but even in a 4wd I’d drive up the tramlines/where it’s shortest and been driven on already……when it’s really tall stubble it makes a hell of a racket hitting the underside! 
Much more civilised when it’s been topped off 😂

Rough on your legs in shorts too! 

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

errrrr..............dont use a dog........on new rape stubbles................i believe one of the moderators fell on a rape stubble and hurt himself quite badly a few years ago..........this is a post that often comes up this time of year

We pick up on a shoot that has a field or 2 of rape stubble, i hate sending our dogs to birds ive seriously thought of buying chest guards. 

20 minutes ago, Dougy said:

We pick up on a shoot that has a field or 2 of rape stubble, i hate sending our dogs to birds ive seriously thought of buying chest guards. 

as soon as the stubble has had a bit of wet weather on it...........it rots and softens quickly....but until then..it can be dangerous......i have ruined got boots on the stubble before now

9 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Never had a problem, but even in a 4wd I’d drive up the tramlines/where it’s shortest and been driven on already……when it’s really tall stubble it makes a hell of a racket hitting the underside! 
Much more civilised when it’s been topped off 😂

Rough on your legs in shorts too! 

Agreed- I just keep on the tram lines at low speed. It’s is very noisy.

10 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Your “Landy” is legendary!

David - Long time no see - Which is not as it should be.  Hope you are keeping well.

Landy is still going strong.   Steam cleaned and resealed on the bottom.   'New' doors and various other bits on the top.   Timing chain done on the engine.  (First time since the 1986 manufacture).  Same clapped out driver though...

Picture is where you last saw her - at Catton Park.   Happy Days.

Catton Park and Bush Wood 019.jpg

On 07/08/2021 at 09:06, Grandalf said:

David - Long time no see - Which is not as it should be.  Hope you are keeping well.

Landy is still going strong.   Steam cleaned and resealed on the bottom.   'New' doors and various other bits on the top.   Timing chain done on the engine.  (First time since the 1986 manufacture).  Same clapped out driver though...

Picture is where you last saw her - at Catton Park.   Happy Days.

Catton Park and Bush Wood 019.jpg

Those were truly good weekends. 
Yes, I’m doing well, creaking a little more.

Trust you are also.

Just got to find another venue for the PW rifle shooters, preferably more central.

8 hours ago, Grandalf said:

I keep hoping someone will come up with something other than Scotland and before I get too old to attend.

Couldn’t agree more. Now who in the PW community has access to some land in the middle of the country which could be used for this occasion.?