Advice on a Thermal Camera, for water leaks, building cavity's , double up for hunting, Hand held,

oldypigeonpopper

i think those scope (endo scopes)....are on garage tool websites.....for looking in valve chambers and such like ...as you do.........they are not that expensive...

you can get one off amazon for £6.29...couple of metres cable for looking down plug holes (waterproof)....plugs into your phone

Edited by ditchman

I use a Flir thermal for Building Surveys but it is quite different to the thermal I use in the field and woods. The Flir takes two images one digital normal photo and the other is the thermal image which are superimposed so that you can see the thermal image over the picture image. The Flir is highly effective at finding leaks in buildings and cold spots, I.e., heat loss. 20 years experience using them counts a lot , as it is easy to mis-diagnose if you haven’t used it extensively. The endoscope is useful for looking into cavities, but the cheap ones normally only look straight ahead and in building surveys you really only want the ones which look at 90 degrees. I just wish that I had this type of technology when I started my surveying career in 1963!

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

i think those scope (endo scopes)....are on garage tool websites.....for looking in valve chambers and such like ...as you do.........they are not that expensive...

you can get one off amazon for £6.29...couple of metres cable for looking down plug holes (waterproof)....plugs into your phone

Hello, yes I found some on eBay , cheers

38 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

I use a Flir thermal for Building Surveys but it is quite different to the thermal I use in the field and woods. The Flir takes two images one digital normal photo and the other is the thermal image which are superimposed so that you can see the thermal image over the picture image. The Flir is highly effective at finding leaks in buildings and cold spots, I.e., heat loss. 20 years experience using them counts a lot , as it is easy to mis-diagnose if you haven’t used it extensively. The endoscope is useful for looking into cavities, but the cheap ones normally only look straight ahead and in building surveys you really only want the ones which look at 90 degrees. I just wish that I had this type of technology when I started my surveying career in 1963!

Hello, thanks, I read up on the Flir , there's the E6 , it's only for the  occasional use so not realy want one to expensive, 1963, remember it well, freezing cold 🤔😁

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, thanks, I read up on the Flir , there's the E6 , it's only for the  occasional use so not realy want one to expensive, 1963, remember it well, freezing cold 🤔😁

If it’s just for occasional use have a look at the C5. It’s a compact which gives pretty good results and is handy in that you can put it in your pocket. It has the same features with the picture and thermal image overlayed.  I keep that one in my bag for everyday use. About £600.

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

If it’s just for occasional use have a look at the C5. It’s a compact which gives pretty good results and is handy in that you can put it in your pocket. It has the same features with the picture and thermal image overlayed.  I keep that one in my bag for everyday use. About £600.

Hello, thanks, what about this one, FLIR TG 165 - X ? cheers

4 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I use this for architecture, cheap and easy. Not up to the standard for diagnostic purposes but gives you a good idea and makes people’s clothes see through 😏

https://www.test-meter.co.uk/seek-thermal-compact-thermal-camera-for-smartphone?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6trpscye8gIV02DmCh1wPAaUEAQYBCABEgKOO_D_BwE

Hello, thanks, I have looked at those but don't think would connect to my I phone, I read the list of camera phone, Apple I phone ?, Maybe there's a connector I can plug in to use this thermal,? Just noticed last line 🤔😉

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

6 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I use this for architecture, cheap and easy. Not up to the standard for diagnostic purposes but gives you a good idea and makes people’s clothes see through 😏

https://www.test-meter.co.uk/seek-thermal-compact-thermal-camera-for-smartphone?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6trpscye8gIV02DmCh1wPAaUEAQYBCABEgKOO_D_BwE

Hello, I was thinking maybe I could use my I pad 

Almost on this note but I’ve a fairly basic and fairly old pulsar HD19. We recently had an underfloor heating pipe water leak and it was close to finding the problem.  It was easy to trace all pipes and in the end I had 3 areas I thought it might be. At that point I called in the experts and they did find it in one of the spots. In future had I got a damp meter as well and had I listened to the radiators I would have found it.

ours was worse as it’s an old house and no proper Dpm so it was going straight to ground