First shot on stubble this year

the hitman

I headed out this morning at 10am for a recce around my perms just to see what been happening while I have been away on holiday.

Most of the OSR is still to be cut, however I did find 3 fields of cut rape with not a pigeon to be seen . After 2 hours of driving I noticed pigeons flying into a row of beeches which run up the side of a wheat stubble. I know this area well and although the pigeons were not feeding on the stubble I knew that these trees are a popular resting place.

By 12.30 I had the hide up and 20 sillosocks rocking in the easterly wind which was blowing in my face.

Getting a couple for the magnet was the first task- and after a couple of glaring misses I shot a long crosser and another from the tree I was sitting under. There were plenty pigeons about and although reluctant to decoy the magnet was bringing them in for a look- which resulted in some challenging and very sporting shooting. Pick of the shots where the high birds coming over the beeches then turning to have look. By 2pm a bag of 20 was looking possible, however as I added dead birds to the pattern and a change of wind direction to S/East the pigeons began to decoy. 
After shooting at so many high birds the decoying pigeons at 25 paces seemed to be easy shooting and I scored a few doubles. The rain started at 3.30 and birds stopped flying- so a quick pick up before I got soaked brought the day to an end with 36 pigeons in the bag.

I will definitely revisit this field a couple of weeks.

Hitman D4781F4F-F487-49BB-BE6D-D8A2BCE6A378.png.3143f921f28bc96a1c33f096333056e4.png

Nice start to your first session on stubble Hitman , stubble shooting is always a special time in the pigeon shooters diary , after all the days  lugging the gear along remote hedgerows and across fields the time has finally come when you can drive to the point of ambush and just relax in the Summer sunshine , well that is what we hope it is like , these last two trips out we have managed to avoid the heavy rain by in one case a matter of minutes which was last Saturday , on Thursday I had the keepers boy in one hide and a friend of mine was way over on another field , the forecast was a dry afternoon and rain moving in around 6pm here on the east coast , the afternoon was perfect , warm , Blue skies and a nice breeze , sport was never hectic but we were all getting a shot or two , when we started at dinnertime we decided to pack up at 5pm or if the rain came early , it started to cloud up and by 4.45 and the pigeons had all but dried up so 5pm on the dot we sleeved the guns and called it a day , time we all met up  at 5.30 it was beginning to look like rain and time I took the boy home the rain had started and turned out a very wet night . 

Bag wise , an enjoyable afternoon and we ended up 48 picked between us with one or two dropped out in standing crops that we had to leave .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Nice start to your first session on stubble Hitman , stubble shooting is always a special time in the pigeon shooters diary , after all the days  lugging the gear along remote hedgerows and across fields the time has finally come when you can drive to the point of ambush and just relax in the Summer sunshine , well that is what we hope it is like , these last two trips out we have managed to avoid the heavy rain by in one case a matter of minutes which was last Saturday , on Thursday I had the keepers boy in one hide and a friend of mine was way over on another field , the forecast was a dry afternoon and rain moving in around 6pm here on the east coast , the afternoon was perfect , warm , Blue skies and a nice breeze , sport was never hectic but we were all getting a shot or two , when we started at dinnertime we decided to pack up at 5pm or if the rain came early , it started to cloud up and by 4.45 and the pigeons had all but dried up so 5pm on the dot we sleeved the guns and called it a day , time we all met up  at 5.30 it was beginning to look like rain and time I took the boy home the rain had started and turned out a very wet night . 

Bag wise , an enjoyable afternoon and we ended up 48 picked between us with one or two dropped out in standing crops that we had to leave .

Completely agree Marsh man - stubble shooting is a great time of year and driving to your chosen spot is always welcome. Glad to hear that you have been getting amongst them - and thank you for the write up.

I still have peas and OSR  to be cut so hopefully a few more good days to come.