springador

jcbbracken

Not sure where this idea of throwing together two totally different types of dogs comes from and expecting to get the ‘best of both’ breeds. What if you get the worst of both? 

Almost makes you wonder why they created specific breeds in the first place 🤷‍♂️

But back on topic, the requirement for the dog to sit in a pigeon hide and then go out and collect a shot bird doesn’t require top level training, and as Ditchman has rightly said most dogs, even many non gundog breeds, could be trained to complete such a task. 

Not sure what a ‘Springerdor’ would offer over just getting a Labrador tbh, but if you do get one I imagine it could well make a good pigeon shooting dog. 

One of the shoots that I work my ESS on, there's a guy who works on the estate has a Staffy that was a rescue dog. It's a really steady dog, doesn't go mad when beating and retrieves well. Wouldn't be my choice but it's a nice dog and demonstrates ditchman's point.

It might also be smart enough to realise that there's payback for being rescued 😂😂

Edited by malmick

On 07/08/2021 at 21:27, malmick said:

One of the shoots that I work my ESS on, there's a guy who works on the estate has a Staffy that was a rescue dog. It's a really steady dog, doesn't go mad when beating and retrieves well. Wouldn't be my choice but it's a nice dog and demonstrates ditchman's point.

It might also be smart enough to realise that there's payback for being rescued 😂😂

I had a staffy cross springer that my wife got from a rescue home. He was two years old at the time. He was an absolute natural, he would work cover all day long but would suffer with nettle stings and bramble scratches that drove him mad in the evenings due to his thin coat. He would also retrieve as good as most trained dogs but when it came to hide work, as soon as the gun went off he would be off taking the net and poles with him every time, he was a night mare.. he will always be one of my most memorable dogs God bless him.      

My springadork in the hide a couple of weeks back:

dd823369-ac7f-47d8-831c-3a6d61866019.jpg.c03c28dfc0fc0d79b87c24bc1082c809.jpg

Basically, you risk a mutt with spanner manic energy, but looking like a lab, so people are lulled into a false sense of security, then surprised when they go off like a rocket.

He brings back pigeons (hand back needs work).  He has been beating with one of the girls on our DIY syndicate.  His 'failings' in the field are down to my inexperience/lack of consistency as a trainer, not him or his uh, 'breed'.

I say go for it.

For full disclosure, he isn't even a proper springador, his mother is a springador, the father a lab.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Basically, you risk a mutt with spanner manic energy, but looking like a lab, so people are lulled into a false sense of security, then surprised when they go off like a rocket.

He brings back pigeons (hand back needs work).  He has been beating with one of the girls on our DIY syndicate.  His 'failings' in the field are down to my inexperience/lack of consistency as a trainer, not him or his uh, 'breed'.

I say go for it.

For full disclosure, he isn't even a proper springador, his mother is a springador, the father a lab.

look at that dog..............it thinks the world of you :good:

My observations so far 5 months old ,this is my first change away from springers I was always put off by people saying you will get the worst of both breeds.I met a vet who has bred Springadors and he managed to convince me that his were always the best of both and I should give one a go.

This girl has got all of the instincts in bucketfuls and is as hot as any of my previous Springers were at this age.

I have already come to the conclusion that any problems or failures will be my own as she has everything she needs to do the job very well.The more dogs I have had and have trained makes me realise that most if not all of there problems are caused by my own failings.

IMG_4189.JPG

On 11/08/2021 at 09:31, udderlyoffroad said:

I say go for it.

good looking dog

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a proper mongrel (accidental mating between a Lab and a NZ Huntaway) he wont make a field trial champion, but we go rough shooting and if restrictions allow we will be wildfowling this winter. I will also be taking him picking up this winter at a local rough shooting club. I think he'll do OK, but he wont be brilliant! 

Cheers

Aled

13 hours ago, Aled said:

NZ Huntaway

Never heard of them, had to google it!  They look like a mixture of Dobermann / GSD / Rottweiler, with maybe a hint of collie thrown in depending on which picture I'm looking at!

On 11/08/2021 at 00:07, Mr gen said:

I had a staffy cross springer

I'm absolutely intrigued by that combination, do you have any photos you'd be able to share?  I'm imagining a little muscle-packed tank with big floppy ears 😂

12 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Never heard of them, had to google it!  They look like a mixture of Dobermann / GSD / Rottweiler, with maybe a hint of collie thrown in depending on which picture I'm looking at!

I'm absolutely intrigued by that combination, do you have any photos you'd be able to share?  I'm imagining a little muscle-packed tank with big floppy ears 😂

Here he is. He looks more  Staffy in this photo buy everything he dud was spaniel 

IMG_20200123_123440.jpg

On the little mates syndicate I used to be in a mate of one of the guns twice brought a doberman cross that he said was a "great working dog" .

It actually was great at not listening to a word he said and running like a Ferrari at full chat through the cover crop about 300yds in front of the guns putting every bloody partridge and pheasant up with no chance of getting a shot at them .

When the shoot captain shouted for him to get that ******##"* dog on a lead and fox trot Oscar the owner got really peed and stormed off thankfully to be never seen again 

10 hours ago, hodge911 said:

On the little mates syndicate I used to be in a mate of one of the guns twice brought a doberman cross that he said was a "great working dog" .

It actually was great at not listening to a word he said and running like a Ferrari at full chat through the cover crop about 300yds in front of the guns putting every bloody partridge and pheasant up with no chance of getting a shot at them .

When the shoot captain shouted for him to get that ******##"* dog on a lead and fox trot Oscar the owner got really peed and stormed off thankfully to be never seen again 

Sounds like a good keeper! 

I believe part of beauty of proper rough shooting, is that you have to train your dog properly (or at least half train it) so that you can keep it within the range of shot. 

Plenty of dogs on shoots that are well out of range of shot (basically out of control), whilst the owners proclaim what great working dogs they are. 

A well train decent cross breed is better than a pure bred dog that’s not been trained and allowed to run riot! 

Dog breeds are always evolving, even the traditional breeds that we think have been around for hundreds of years. I'm sure the springer or lab could be improved on by someone with the right knowledge and at lest 50 years or so of very selective breeding. 

Cross two well known working breeds, with proven parents and you'll likely get a good working dog that could be worse or better than a purebred, if your not running trials I wouldn't worry and go for what you want.