North Beds pigeons!!(or lack of)

Outlander

Anyone else on here from north Beds and finding it hard to put a decent bag of pigeons together.  I have noticed that there aren't  hardly any others out shooting round my way  and it seems that wherever I recce some birds after an hour's shooting there's always somewhere they can go without getting hassled.

Outlander

54 minutes ago, Outlander said:

Anyone else on here from north Beds and finding it hard to put a decent bag of pigeons together.  I have noticed that there aren't  hardly any others out shooting round my way  and it seems that wherever I recce some birds after an hour's shooting there's always somewhere they can go without getting hassled.

Outlander

When the weather is right for combining you will find most of the farmers growing the same crop will all be cutting at the same time , this will give pigeons unlimited choice and a modern combine can knock out over 100 acers a day , three or four combines working in a fairly small area for three days running then you are left with over 1000 acers of stubble , this is not to say you can't get a bag of pigeons because you can and many people do , not every field will produce and some fields will shoot better than others , and of course you need pigeons in your area and when to shoot a field is also worth considering , when you see enough to warrant a shoot then go ahead and have a go , leaving it a day to late and you will find they will have moved on , also with these wet and dry days we are getting the stubbles will be worked on while the combine is lying idle . GOOD LUCK    MM

Pigeons are often in pockets within areas and the hard part is finding that concentration of birds and where they’re feeding.  
100% some fields just shoot well with the right crop in where others won’t shoot well whatever is grown! I find this massively where I am, some places will be devoid of pigeons all summer where others have plenty, yet are only a few miles apart. 
I’m finding peas the biggest draw this year and shot some decent bags, yet  stubbles haven’t produced any particularly good bags for me so far….they definitely move off them quickly as there’s so little spilt grain. 

Edited by Wilts#Dave

• 2 weeks later...