Winchester 5500 12 gauge

Winchester 5500

£550

12 gauge Shotgun Private Seller
Used - Excellent Condition Southampton, Hampshire
Over and Under, Multi Choke, Multi Choke, 28" barrels
Img-1143 Img-1145 Img-1148

Description

WINCHESTER 5500 MULTICHOKE STEEL PROOF IN EXCEPTIONAL AND WELL CARED FOR CONDITION WITH CRISP CHECKERING

WEIGHT 7LB 4
28 INCH VENTED BARRELS 70MM CHAMBERS EJECTOR

6 CHOKES IN CASE WITH KEY PLUS THREADED TOOL TO CLEAN CHOKE THREADS

COLLECTION OR SEND RFD TO RFD
£550

This gun is being sold by Pigeon Watch member Grahamjohn. Message them here

View the full article

32 minutes ago, Scully said:

Can we now assume this gun hasn’t been steel shot proofed? 

As those guns were marked Winchester proof steel on the barrels and some people misunderstand and think it is actually proofed for steel shot I thought a picture of the fleur de lys would be definitive,I know some have been done as I sent one away about 10 years ago so it is probably floating around somewhere in circulation it was a Winchester light weight game.have added a picture of my 101 waterfowl barrel and it definitely isn't steel shot proof .

IMG_1290.JPG

2 minutes ago, holloway said:

As those guns were marked Winchester proof steel on the barrels and some people misunderstand and think it is actually proofed for steel shot I thought a picture of the fleur de lys would be definitive,I know some have been done as I sent one away about 10 years ago so it is probably floating around somewhere in circulation it was a Winchester light weight game.have added a picture of my 101 waterfowl barrel and it definitely isn't steel shot proof .

IMG_1290.JPG

This is why I asked. Many people confuse Winchesters’ sales pitch of stamping their barrels as in your photo above, for steel shot proofing. 
I have four Winchesters dating from the 1970’s and 1980’s, all are stamped as in your photo’ above, and if I recall, an old Model 12 was stamped ‘Winchester Superior Proofed Steel’. 
As you’ve had one actually steel shot proofed goes to prove what I’ve claimed all along, namely that they ( and any other nitro proofed gun ) are indeed capable of handling steel shot. I used HP steel for ducks through an old Diamond Grade many years ago. 
👍

30 minutes ago, Scully said:

This is why I asked. Many people confuse Winchesters’ sales pitch of stamping their barrels as in your photo above, for steel shot proofing. 
I have four Winchesters dating from the 1970’s and 1980’s, all are stamped as in your photo’ above, and if I recall, an old Model 12 was stamped ‘Winchester Superior Proofed Steel’. 
As you’ve had one actually steel shot proofed goes to prove what I’ve claimed all along, namely that they ( and any other nitro proofed gun ) are indeed capable of handling steel shot. I used HP steel for ducks through an old Diamond Grade many years ago. 
👍

Yes after proofing my first Winchester for steel I never bothered again,and have used it in every gun since with no issues.