What is this ?

ditchman

I was doing the final clear out of the rubbish to the tip before i move and found this in a corner....the back of it seems cast with 2 sets of numbers one of the sets has been roughly ground out and replaced with the number 61...........it has a milled edge and on the reverse side is polished nearly to mirror finish............have put a 10p coin next to it for a size compare'

I truly dont know what it is...it somehow looks familar

i shall keep it anyway and drill a hole on the edge and use as a keyring fob or something

any ideas ????/

whots this 001tn_.JPG

whots this 002tn_.JPG

whots this 003tn_.JPG

whots this 004tn_.JPG

whots this 005tn_.JPG

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Why not try downloading google goggles object recognition app or something similar. It takes a photograph of a given object and searches the web for that object. Not done it myself. It was just a thought.

Ditchman not that modern his computer is powered by a Dynamo 😂😂😂

although the object would look good on the top of a stick 

22 minutes ago, Lord v said:

I wonder if it has been used for a shove ha’penny board or similar game, hence the polished side? 

probably not the original use though.

thats what it makes it feel familiar..........:good:...............ive been on guggle and looked at brass gaming counters ....pit tokens......no luck yet

if it was used as a shove-a-hapeny counter the milled edges would have been damaged / flattered....these edges are still good

Edited by ditchman

2 minutes ago, stoggieman said:

Could it be a shim for some form of hydrolic tappet? The groves on the side will allow oil to lubricate .Some jaguars used this system.

thought that too....its too rough on the number side to be an accurate shim and there are no wear marks on it at all

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Ditchman not that modern his computer is powered by a Dynamo

I had a ole Raleigh bike that had a dynamo for the lighting , it was useless when you stopped at the traffic lights in the dark as both the front and the back lights went out .

32 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I don't know, you'll have to ask someone from Narfalk who is older than Ditchman, I wonder what Marshman knows?

I recon it might had been a tag for when you clock in at a factory or somewhere that used that type of system .

We have got something very similar from our wildfowling club , you are issued with a round flat disc with a your permit number on , you then hang it on a board on the edge of the marsh to let other people how many are on the marsh and also if there was a complaint they would know who it was by the number on the tag . 

13 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

It’s a token for you coat from way back when you used to frequent the ‘Winter Gardens’

Or, it a medal awarded for the amount of times the breakdown services came out to start your LandRover 😂😂☺️

howz yer one testicled snake mate ?

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, looks like 69 was scratched in above the 19 ?

jeeeesus.............your brain wants it to be 69....but it is 59 if you look closer

anyway here in norfick we dont do 69....we do 70

16 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

It’s a token for you coat from way back when you used to frequent the ‘Winter Gardens’

Or, it a medal awarded for the amount of times the breakdown services came out to start your LandRover 😂😂☺️

your a genius 

Definitely a medal awarded to Land Rover owners ever hundred breakdowns 

sadly not worth much as they dished them out like sweets 

I think they still do them 😂😂👍

In the Mint aka "the Royal Mint" staff are not allowed coins but must use in the canteen tokens. They were simple but it isn't as here is one:

https://picclick.co.uk/Rare-Royal-Mint-Canteen-Token-164567358351.html

Also, as others have said, I think that this is too simple to merely be what is also called "truck money" viz payment tokens for employees form long ago past.

I think it is something that the "punter" actually purchased with his/her cash money from a central cash desk and then gave it over to a third party such as a showman's ride or a train ride to access that pleasure. In France even today some local fairs such as the one at Puteaux near Paris have a token system called a "jeton" although those there at Puteaux are plastic "tickets".

Or it may be a token given by a stallholder to a marksman or good thrower for each qualifying score to then be exchanged for a low prize...say one token or accumulated for a prize from the famous "anything from the top row"...say five tokens? If only the OP could remember where he got it there may be a goldfish in a plastic bag with his name on it!

For as the fair was only there for a few days there would be no worry about forged tokens as with truck money and each stallholder would in any case well recognise what he or she had given out that day to the punters.

Edited by enfieldspares