What is this ?

ditchman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

interesting so far............all i can say with certainty .....it is used to be given or exchanged .....not hung up as a record or proof ..

They used to make trade tokens usual out of lead , and at times when coinage was short they used them . They were often given out by farmers to the workers in lue of cash . A crafty move by some farmers , you would work  all week , get your trade token  , then buy food of him .win win for the farmer .

So the other side is polished out that would have been who had issued it . 

59 minutes ago, steve s×s said:

19 is very close to 20 🧐 

its 61.....you can tell by the shape of the 1..........makes you think tho'...if it was a weight then that would account for the milled edge so it can be checked if it has been "clipped"

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, Jim Neal said:

Could it be some sort of miniature hotplate, possibly for pre-warming root ginger before use?

Maybe the number doubles up as a deli counter ticket style system so you don't miss your turn?

if it were,    Mel3 would have put an offer in for it already......the hotplate mel uses is far bigger anyway...big enough to give him a bottom like a japenese flag on a sunday morning...........

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

if it were,    Mel3 would have put an offer in for it already......the hotplate mel uses is far bigger anyway...big enough to give him a bottom like a japenese flag on a sunday morning...........

If you send it my way , I will happily add it to my ginger related articles collection .  I shall display it next to my 1920s , ginger extraction implement,  that looks suspiciously like a pair of long nosed pliers 😊.

9 hours ago, steve s×s said:

Great minds think alike 

im going to the P.O this morning ..so i shall put it on their accurate scales and see if it is excactly 19 grammes...........when i weighed it ....'twas on my small kitchen scales...so it might well be a bit out..:good:

17 minutes ago, lister1 said:

If it’s old, could it be in oz or grains?

far too thin to be oz and far to big to be grains..........a grain is a very old method of measurement....believe it was syrian idea to standardise weights   it was based that one grain of corn weighed one grain and was therefore something that everyone else had....so all weights derive from one grain and multiples thereof