Thumbsticks...

boo

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2021 at 16:56, boo said:

The lyre & churchill tops where from highland horn , made a couple in the past from scratch , not practical now really as buffalo hard to get hold of and it saves a lot of time ! They make a nice topper when cleaned up..

20210810_165201.jpg

Following on this thread, I had a spare lyre shaped buffalo horn which was not going to be used so I sent it to Boo who would make far more use of it than me as it was only gathering dust in my shed. What a very pleasant surprise to receive not one, but two pieces of antler already capped with buffalo horn, but more especially polished to a beautiful shine, something that I`ve never been able to achieve (see attached). He even enclosed two pieces of ready drilled spacers. They will make superb sticks once my current hazel shafts are seasoned ready to be straightened. What an absolute gentleman. 

Many thanks Boo :thanks:

OB

IMG_2105.JPG

Edited by Old Boggy

True craftsmanship,and a very nice gesture,!

i must admit it gives me a big smile when I've gone from a piece of rough horn/bone/antler and after a bit of polishing ended up,with a mirror finish.  I tend to rough it in with sandpaper up to 400g then onto the buffing wheels and polish sticks. I've got some black compound that would take the smirk off a politicians face   Work up through the grades and finish with blue or white as I'm not sure which is the finest😂

Beautiful sticks them!! Would love to get my hands on a nice stick some day.....or get the time to sit down and have a crack at make one.

This is a pic of my hedge thrasher, I use it for everything from beating to walking the dog, wading while fishing etc quite far removed from the artwork on display! 🤣

20210822_181658.jpg

Edited by Rob85
Spelling