Looking for a subsonic 410 load

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/08/2021 at 06:40, robbiep said:

If you'd be willing to give them a try, Eley fourlong (2.5 inch) are very quiet already - certainly by far and away the quietest cartridge I've ever tried through my hushpower

Yerr, but they’re really slow. I chrono’d them at 750fps through hushpower. As you say though, really quiet.

1 hour ago, Rimfireboy said:

Yerr, but they’re really slow. I chrono’d them at 750fps through hushpower. As you say though, really quiet.

Have you chronoed other carts? The Eley 2.5"s are listed as 1300 fps at the muzzle. They do seem to be as quiet as the 3" subsonic load in my modded .410, the normal 3" carts are noticeably louder (and are listed as 1375 fps)

The .410 calibre is restricted by its load size to around 20 grms this makes dropping birds and moving game hard at range. to knobble the calibre further buy using very slow pellets is silly in my experience  .Unless your shooting rats or ferels inside a barn ,and ranges are sub 20 yds I'd not bother with subsonics or anything under 16 grm in my opinion  .

The flip side of course  is a decent 18 /19 grm load at a real 1300 fps in no 6 or 7.5 will drop pigeons at 30  yds with little problem through a nice tight choke .

You can disregard this information if you please .but having spent a lot of time with .410 in hushpowers over the years I've come prefer the 3 inch carts that punch well .(for the shooting I do .) 

Cheers 

13 hours ago, Windswept said:

Have you chronoed other carts? The Eley 2.5"s are listed as 1300 fps at the muzzle. They do seem to be as quiet as the 3" subsonic load in my modded .410, the normal 3" carts are noticeably louder (and are listed as 1375 fps)

I’ve chrono’d lots of carts through hushpower fourten. The eley fourlongs may be listed 1300fps, but they aren’t through a hushpower ported barrel. Both the 2” and 3” eleys are a lot faster than the 2.5’’ hence the 2.5” fourlongs being so quiet. I don’t have the fourten hushpower now though, just a sbs and I only tend to use 3” carts in that.