Attaching a reflex sight

WalkedUp

I want to add a reflex red dot sight to my moderated .410” for my boys to use as a rifle for pooping balloons etc. It is just a fun way of making it a little more accessible for them at limited cost. I will eventually put the reflex sight onto some as yet unbought break barrel air rifle once they are strong enough to cock one. 

Any thoughts on most efficient way to attach a picatinny type mount? Annoyingly the moderator is 39.5mm in diameter and so just slightly too large for the over barrel clamps I have seen. Drilling and tapping the action by 5-7mm would be viable but it seems expensive to get a ‘smith involved for this which may well be a short lived whim. 

All ideas and suggestions welcome. 

I appreciate a .410” is not ideal starter, when they are older I will buy a 28 bore single barrel. 

866C9E00-8A0A-49E6-ACC7-27EFC0EDB476.jpeg

408FB494-2E82-402D-8CDE-92CFF940D3CA.jpeg

778CB00B-AFDF-4595-AAF1-5F2154B9558F.jpeg

A9191DF7-0C02-41F0-91F1-61FAA45B56D5.jpeg

Edited by WalkedUp

Tap and die set from screw fix is cheap .

Drill a couple of holes and thread them then drill 2 holes in a pic rail and attach. 

As for the dot sight recommend above .

I'd second it .I have one that I used on a shot gun and the small circle with dot in the middle is way better than just a dot alone .

A single dot gets lost in the sky or bight backgrounds .

24 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Hello, there never as good as a proper bench drill, screwfix do one for £60, I would go with the mounts on the silencer, some old inner tube cut to shape to stop marking or sparky tape, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Wow, similar price too. Thoughts on this?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb672dbt-290mm-electric-pillar-drill-230-240v/1009J?kpid=1009J&ds_kid=92700055256569560&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzNqOqf6l8gIV4ujtCh2k9AasEAQYASABEgJQKvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don’t have a big budget due to my stretched finances (3 small children, two dogs) so can’t afford a top make. Happy with second hand but imagine postage would’ve prohibitive. 

9 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Wow, similar price too. Thoughts on this?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb672dbt-290mm-electric-pillar-drill-230-240v/1009J?kpid=1009J&ds_kid=92700055256569560&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzNqOqf6l8gIV4ujtCh2k9AasEAQYASABEgJQKvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don’t have a big budget due to my stretched finances (3 small children, two dogs) so can’t afford a top make. Happy with second hand but imagine postage would’ve prohibitive. 

Where are you based?  I'm near Settle North Yorks and if you are anywhere reasonably close you'd be more than welcome to use my bench drill rather than spend money you don't need to.

If you're not near me then maybe the PW massive has someone near to you who could help?

3 hours ago, Jonty said:

Where are you based?  I'm near Settle North Yorks and if you are anywhere reasonably close you'd be more than welcome to use my bench drill rather than spend money you don't need to.

If you're not near me then maybe the PW massive has someone near to you who could help?

Thank you for this very kind offer, near Chester so a bit too far but I really appreciate your helping.

10 hours ago, Stonepark said:

I’ll take a gander. 👍

I’ve messaged that Ebay seller 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/08/2021 at 07:43, welshwarrior said:

If you don’t want to remove it glue it in place with a strong epoxy like acraglass.  I saw a 375 front sight put back on it Africa that way lasted several years at least. 

That would certainly be easier! My good friend has a pillar drill stand so tempted to try that first, the mount will be below the line of sight anyway so a permanent fixture is not a problem. I just need a weekend off shooting to have a look at it. 

• 3 months later...

The action is slightly tapered and so would have required a shim, I opted to mount onto the moderator shroud to the barrel instead. Rather than drill I cheated and used a two part epoxy (JB Cold Weld) to affix the picatinny rail. I ordered a round base rail from Ant supplies then filed it down to match the diameter of the barrel shroud. Both parts are aluminium. I used a Stanley knife to cut the outline of the section of polyester powder coating to be removed to avoid chipping. Then a blade to scrape the paint off. The two surfaces were rough filed to give a key and degreased with acetone. The epoxy glue was applied then a twisted wire to give the initial tension and stop the two round parts sliding whilst I clamped it in position. 24 hours to fully cure, sighted through the bore to zero and I’m happy with the result. I mounted it further forward than I initially thought I would but the longer distance makes it easier to align your eye to see the dot. It is parallax free, the flip side is if you are looking too far off the dot simply does not appear on the screen. The dot doesn’t show in your weaker eye either which encourages shooting with both eyes open.

9822BBB7-DF12-411A-B774-660244731C00.jpeg

A5F23618-7B9B-4932-BE1B-1BD03F1F71C9.jpeg

35637DCA-C706-4F32-AC51-F040A8A031A2.jpeg

Edited by WalkedUp

I needed to reduce the LOP to 10.5” and as it is a gun I shoot well with and people have offered me good money for I had the foresight to pilot hole two 5” screw holes. The Pedretti also had a very heavy, thick neck and large Prince of Wales rounded style pistol grip. My eldest son’s 6-year-old hands couldn’t wrap around the chunky stock and reach the trigger so I decided to saw the pistol grip off and take off as much wood from the neck as I dared. It is a straight grain beech so relatively sturdy. I rasped away a bit of wood and had my son hold it. Tinkering slowly it is fitted like the relief of his tiny hands. I temporarily fitted a rubber cheek raiser, which is still too low but at least he can see the red dot now. Sadly it is still too nose heavy for him to use without help but it is far better than it was. We drove to Bamford’s this afternoon to see if we could find a cheap light .410” before I took a saw to the Hush, frustratingly they were all very heavy barrelled. The Kofs junior .410” was great but probably for a 9-year-old plus. 

E519AA93-D247-4FDF-8CC5-79AE7B8582F1.jpeg

2F74A4A0-A385-418A-8C7B-E626E5CDBC7F.jpeg

1719F481-A3C6-4D83-8993-D60227557789.jpeg

5F2F4CCC-EE7F-4082-9177-7A8F79339E06.jpeg

8FFB69CE-9181-4C2F-9F1E-9748DCBBFC43.jpeg

436EF00C-92C6-4EBB-83A8-318626F488F8.jpeg