All was peaceful until...

fse10

Away for a weeks break near Louth staying on a small farm. Little bit of fishing on their lake, then about 18:00 the Typhoons thought it would be a good idea to start their night flights. I love a fighter plane but not so much when their still flying round at 22:00 when i'm in bed .ย ๐Ÿ˜

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, samboy said:

Stop moaning. You just cant please some peopleย ๐Ÿ˜‚.

Ha ha you know me Ronnie. Hope you are well. Beenย out on the bunnies lately? Just trying to get a one for oneย  so i can swap that T/Hole CZ as a tad heavy and get my fac opened . Regard Paul.

ย 

Edited by fse10

My favourite is when you've just got the kids to sleep and are watching a film when the screech over the house, borderline supersonic at about 15 feet.ย 

Last summer a tornado flew behind the house, most days at about 4pm. He was lower than the willow tree so about 100 feet. Incredibly close and really rather good to see. What the pilot was doing is anybodies guess as they don't normally go below 250.ย 

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So you're a nimby then?

They have to train somewhere and the low Flying Cell at RAF Wittering push them to different places each day or night.

Lighten up dippy, you seem to love taking digs at others.ย 

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

Were you getting up at 4am?

In bed at ten ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

Am up at 4;30 everyday ย when at work so the body clock is still on work time.

where i used to live as a little boy...a flight of lightenings used to come over the house ...sometimes by day sometimes at night...they were so low the pilot used to wave to us........also at night a couple of vulcans used to come in late at night...making a long wooooooooooooooooooing noise....they were soooo low we live in a dip in a little hamlet and the runway was on the level ground ....the noise was window shattering every time

I think Lulworth was being invaded by some disreputable band of ne'er-do-wells a couple of nights back because the range firing was going on well after dark and into the night. They'd clearly been vanquished by the sun's rising, because Dorset had returned to calm. Keeps the men defending the realm in practice though and it's a rare occurrence, so crack on, I say.

If we ever do fight another large-scale war, I'd prefer it if we didn't have to send a memo asking for bad light stop play, because we're not used to fighting in the dark.

Edited by chrisjpainter

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

I think Lulworth was being invaded by some disreputable band of ne'er-do-wells a couple of nights back because the range firing was going on well after dark and into the night. They'd clearly been vanquished by the sun's rising, because Dorset had returned to calm. Keeps the men defending the realm in practice though and it's a rare occurrence, so crack on, I say.

If we ever do fight another large-scale war, I'd prefer it if we didn't have to send a memo asking for bad light stop play, because we're not used to fighting in the dark.

We used to say that because of the range at Montrose if anyone ever invaded along the coast there no one would bat an eyelid.ย 

Just back from Greece. Was anchoured on an island somewhere eating breakfast when a plane broke the sound barrier. Now that was realy loud. Itย  seemed toย move the surface of the sea, all the car alarms on the island went off, and birds took to the skys.ย 

We were camping at Hayfield a couple of weeks ago. Lovely peaceful place, normally, that was until the cow's started mooing at 4.30 oneย morning. Then to top it off while having the evening meal outside the tent, we had 2 Appache helicopters fly over so low you could count the rivets.

We're putting a claim in for stress now and hopefully getting a refund.ย 

Disgusting !!!ย total lack of consideration, from the helicopter pilotsย and the farmers cow's.ย 

Edited by Dougy

Joking apart it was an awesome sight, the campsite is nestled in a small valley they came in really low out of sight from round the corner and swept through the valley and out of sight again.ย 

ย 

The Cows were aย pain, iย  guess they had just been let out for the 1st time, made a right racket.ย 

On 12/08/2021 at 10:57, Dougy said:

We were camping at Hayfield a couple of weeks ago. Lovely peaceful place, normally, that was until the cow's started mooing at 4.30 oneย morning. Then to top it off while having the evening meal outside the tent, we had 2 Appache helicopters fly over so low you could count the rivets.

We're putting a claim in for stress now and hopefully getting a refund.ย 

Disgusting !!!ย total lack of consideration, from the helicopter pilotsย and the farmers cow's.ย 

i was on a hare shoot many years ago near Blythborough....on a big field surrounded by woodland ....it was very windy chucking it down with rain...and i turned my head and 2 apache matt black gunships...."chopped across the gun line at less than 50 feet...............the gatling gun was going left and right ......i made sure we were all going to die.....when we got to the end of the field evreyones face was grey and ashen............that was super scary ..almost like feeling the presense of evil......

16 minutes ago, Diver One said:

I'm presently stopping with myย daughter, granddaughters and son in law just outside RAF ย Conningsby , free Air Show most days as since its the BBMF base last time we were here we got the Spitfire as well!

you are all very lucky....best thing ive seen flying over here was a dacota...and that must have been 10 years ago....

On 10/08/2021 at 11:32, fse10 said:

Away for a weeks break near Louth staying on a small farm. Little bit of fishing on their lake, then about 18:00 the Typhoons thought it would be a good idea to start their night flights. I love a fighter plane but not so much when their still flying round at 22:00 when i'm in bed .ย ๐Ÿ˜

Spare a thought for us who live near Louth.

If you live near RAFย Conningsby, you have to expect it Iโ€™m afraid.

I really donโ€™t mind, they keep us safe.

My late friend, Clifford Owen, once complained to the RAF about damage that noise or turbulence from low flying Typhoon 'planes has done to the chimney of his rather large country house.

An officer was sent to investigate and challenged my friend with the question "How do you know they were flying at one hundred and twenty feet above your house as you claim?"

My friend responded thus, "Two reasons. I shoot driven pheasants so I know what forty yards looks like and, unlike you, I have had the pleasure of having been dive bombed by Stukas."

The officer's answer was a gem. "Your cheque for your claim will be in the post tonight, Mr. Owen, as soon as get back to the base."

Edited by enfieldspares