All was peaceful until...

fse10

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely they could, or just use simulators, or not fly at all!  

Sims are just that, synthetic trainers for operational procedures and currency.

But they can in no way replicate the authenticity of flight- never been in a sim that can produce anything but a minuscule amount of G loading.

Whilst realistic in their programming, you really cannot beat the real thing 🙂

2 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Sims are just that, synthetic trainers for operational procedures and currency.

But they can in no way replicate the authenticity of flight- never been in a sim that can produce anything but a minuscule amount of G loading.

Whilst realistic in their programming, you really cannot beat the real thing 🙂

Oh the irony!  :w00t:

While living in West Wales, in the 90s the hills were alive with jets daily, no dramas, but one week they decided to come over stupidly low. As kids it was amazing, but the goats had a **** fit and our Welsh Mountain pony was in foal and it was a tense few weeks. Anyway mother complained to brawdy, asked them to just stay higher up over our heads until it was born, then carry on as we all enjoyed it. They responded by giving us a guided tour of brawdy. ******* amazing, we went in these simulators, allowed to sit in one of the hawks in a hanger (I can remember flipping switches like a loon, hell I thought I was Tom cruse, and the crewman not being happy about me and my sisters touching everything 😂) also met the pilots who gave us loads of signed posters (which I still have somewhere), postcards, paper weights, notepads and pewter pin badges, then a quick drive round in a landy upto the airfield and the finale of a quick up and down a few hundred foot in a seaking. Amazing ******* day. Well worth complaining 😂

4 hours ago, pork chop said:

Surely they could practice in day 

with really dark shades on 

inconsiderate barstools 

No. It's actually not the same. Even though you'd think that just wearing a flying helmet with a full face dark visor would substitute for night time. Just as practicing pistol shooting with specifically made such glasses isn't the same. For pilots of course it'd be absence of city lights, vehicle lights on motorways, using the moon reflecting off rivers and etc. to check position by. All that you'd lose. With pistol shooting it's the harmful effect of muzzle flash on your natural night vision that you lose if you substitute "dark shades" on a range in daylight for actual true night firing. No. using "dark shades" doesn't achieve the same teaching effect.

Edited by enfieldspares

When were up at our woodland , the fast jets fly past as they do the mach loop . Most of them are above us , but they'll sometimes fly by at eye level , and sometimes even below us , and you can look down into the cockpit . A huge prop plane flew past when myself and my lad were up there earlier in the year , it was so , slow , low , and close to us , that we thought it was about to crash land😲.

We absolutely love them , and it makes our day when we get a fly by.

Lin does get a tad miffed that the pilots never wave back though 😅.

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I'll have a word!  :good:

I've explained to lin that they might be waving back , but they're about a mile away by the time they raise their hand.

Joking aside . Lin really does wave , and you sometimes see the pilots react and look in her direction for a split second . Those guys are pretty switched on.

11 hours ago, mel b3 said:

When were up at our woodland , the fast jets fly past as they do the mach loop . Most of them are above us , but they'll sometimes fly by at eye level , and sometimes even below us , and you can look down into the cockpit . A huge prop plane flew past when myself and my lad were up there earlier in the year , it was so , slow , low , and close to us , that we thought it was about to crash land😲.

We absolutely love them , and it makes our day when we get a fly by.

Lin does get a tad miffed that the pilots never wave back though 😅.

I get jets and the odd Hercules go over the woods I squirrel in,  the most impressive so far has been a pair of Ospreys though, probably because they were going pretty slow and low, I wondered what was going on 😄

20 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I get jets and the odd Hercules go over the woods I squirrel in,  the most impressive so far has been a pair of Ospreys though, probably because they were going pretty slow and low, I wondered what was going on 😄

Now that's impressive 👍

On 13/08/2021 at 22:20, moondoggy said:

Spare a thought for us who live near Louth.

If you live near RAF Conningsby, you have to expect it I’m afraid.

I really don’t mind, they keep us safe.

Me and the wife would move up there, tomorrow if we could we stayed in Ashden fen was nice.

On 14/08/2021 at 23:06, enfieldspares said:

No. It's actually not the same. Even though you'd think that just wearing a flying helmet with a full face dark visor would substitute for night time. Just as practicing pistol shooting with specifically made such glasses isn't the same. For pilots of course it'd be absence of city lights, vehicle lights on motorways, using the moon reflecting off rivers and etc. to check position by. All that you'd lose. With pistol shooting it's the harmful effect of muzzle flash on your natural night vision that you lose if you substitute "dark shades" on a range in daylight for actual true night firing. No. using "dark shades" doesn't achieve the same teaching effect.

Was a joke 🙄

On 10/08/2021 at 18:57, GingerCat said:

My favourite is when you've just got the kids to sleep and are watching a film when the screech over the house, borderline supersonic at about 15 feet. 

Last summer a tornado flew behind the house, most days at about 4pm. He was lower than the willow tree so about 100 feet. Incredibly close and really rather good to see. What the pilot was doing is anybodies guess as they don't normally go below 250. 

You sure it was a tornado or as often called a Tonka they were retired from flying duties 2years ago was probably a typhoon

Just now, Marka11 said:

You sure it was a tornado or as often called a Tonka they were retired from flying duties 2years ago was probably a typhoon

100%. I have sat in both and no stranger to what they are. He wasn't hanging about wither with wings back etc. I did some asking and it was from a research squadron.