Ribs and Sibs (boats)

treetree

Anyone here own a rib or sib? Had a hankering for one for many years, would appreciate any views/ lessons learned from current owners.

Would use for fishing, family days generally exploring in the sea. Would prefer not to gave to trailer, so prob max length 4m.

Experience of others greatly appreciated.

I am looking at getting one myself.... A couple of bits of advice I have had from colleagues who have them (which also seems to tie in with what little I have read on forums etc): 

1) Go for something as long as possible, or at least a decent beam

2) V hulls are a must with air decks or aluminium solid decks. 

3) Don't go nuts on the outboard - 10-12HP will be more than fine.

4)  Usually some bargains around March

5) Inflating them is a pain as is manhandling the outboard if you pack away - if you can at all trailer, do so. 

6) General advice really - Buy quality, helps with any resale value. 

1 hour ago, millrace said:

You obviously have not heard of the "covid" boat tax......

Obviously not.

flip side, when the inevitable recession hits and people are selling to get their hands on some cash it maybe a bit of a buyers market…

Unless I have missed something? 

3 hours ago, Lord v said:

I am looking at getting one myself.... A couple of bits of advice I have had from colleagues who have them (which also seems to tie in with what little I have read on forums etc): 

1) Go for something as long as possible, or at least a decent beam

2) V hulls are a must with air decks or aluminium solid decks. 

3) Don't go nuts on the outboard - 10-12HP will be more than fine.

4)  Usually some bargains around March

5) Inflating them is a pain as is manhandling the outboard if you pack away - if you can at all trailer, do so. 

6) General advice really - Buy quality, helps with any resale value. 

Great advice, but 3 particularly so. Anything more and the fuel economy drops, you run a much bigger risk of running out, because you get too POWERRRRRRRRRRR happy and they get a bit more unsteady if you have too much power for the size of the RIB/SIB. Too many rescue/recovery stories of boats that have flipped out on people because they've over gunned them. 

And make sure there's a kill switch...just in case

Edited by chrisjpainter

There will be two occasions when you will enjoy your boat. When you buy it and when you sell. In between is a hole down which you throw money.

With  a buddy I have owned two RIBs over a twenty year period. The first a 5 mtr Chinook with a 70hp Suzuki, the second a 5mtr Humber with a 90hp Mercury. Diving RIBs.

RIBs have GRP hulls so you cannot fold them to transport to the coast. You will need a trailer then somewhere to store it. If you put a towbar on your car tell your insce Co as it counts as a modification. Consider the towing weight limits for your vehicle.

For a sea going RIB in my experience 10-12hp is not powerful enough against big spring tides. Minimum 40-45hp. You’ll need to consider whether you want a console setup with (steering wheel) or tiller engine. A GPS and radio is a must as are flotation devices for all on board.
Certainly take a boat handling course most boat insurance policies now require it and some launch slips require proof of insce before they let you launch. Understanding tides is a useful add on.

A RIB is an open boat exposed to the elements. You could look at a small’ish day boat with wheel house. 

Boats can be fun but always remember that the sea is unforgiving.

Good luck

quite honestly...these smaller ribs are only good for ship to shore stuff and little river mess abouts.........if you are out on choppy water and hit a bit of a wave...the rib will lift up and the wind will get underneath and flip you over

get something that has a hull ali' or GRP...something that has a bit of weight in it and something with an ROP with auto inflate on the top..50HP enjine and a spare 10hp....

will warn you there.....on the smaller ribs if you are scooting about on choppy water at the end of the day you will feel knocked up....

And the best piece of advice I can offer is, don't ask for any advice on PW, as you might as well sit in your arm chair, do nowt and die there!!! 

Fish locker is a great channel to watch on the tube. He has re ignited my passion for getting back on the water. However, as much as I dream of having a Warrior, big motor, etc..... I am on my own and funds can't stretch that far, and I've done the expensive boat thing.

I've looked at just about everything on Sibs. I've dived off Ribs, and a "Floppy" as we used to call it in the club, they were all fabulous boats. Had power boats up to 21'.  Keep it sensible which I'm sure you will. If you've not done one, Power boat level 2 is a good thing to do, and VHF courses are available online. Everything in life has advantages and disadvantages, just stack all the odds in your favour and go and have some fun!!! The Sibs have a huge amount going for them over larger solid hull boats. Portability, cost to purchase, running costs, storage. Anything under 3.8m you should be able to comfortably launch on your own, given the facilities. Servicing a 15hp or less is a doddle and stupid cheap and easy DIY. No steering cables to break, batteries, anode replacements.  Have a look at Christopher Flannigan on youtube. He did a test letting down the tubes assimilating punctures. After seeing that, I know i'd rather be in a Sib than a hard hull if you strike a submerged object....it happens. With the air floors, you effectively have 5 floatation devices. Not quite the same with a hard hull. He also carries a small standby outboard, which he has used on an occasion when his engine failed. Not something that a huge amount of people do.

The aluminium floor models look appealing, but theres the extra weight, set up time and lack of extra floatation. Personally, I'm thinking of either a Honwave 3.8 or the Hydrus 3.7. 15hp Max. Air floor, and a roll of extra rubber matt to overlay. I will be looking as the winter heads towards us for a good deal. If it comes with a trailer, that will be an added bonus for options. I'm planning a few trips to Eire next year, and the option of it all folding up in the back of the truck, giving mobility, over all the restrictions, anxiety's and cost of trailering is a no brainer!

You should be able to get a very good rig, along the lines of the above for under 3k!

Have a look at OBAN ON THE WATER on youtube.

Good luck with whatever you decide.👍