Bit of a brown trousers moment

Rob85

Had a bit of a heart stopper this morning. Dragged my sorry carcass out of bed at 5:30am, downstairs to make my coffee. Looked out the kitchen window and noticed the dogs kennel unlocked and door ajar by about 2 inches. Panic....the dog is usually awake and looking at me from the pen at this point. To say I near loaded my trunks is an understatement.

Grabbed my keys and launched out the back door and pulled open the door to the pen...heart racing expecting the dog to have been stolen.

Theres Rosie lying there, snug as a bug in her bed looking up at me with that "what the f.. are you doing?" Expression that only a dog having the snooze of its life could give.

I've come to the conclusion that when I fed her last night and was locking her up for the night I somehow slid the bolt outside the keeper rather than in it. 

I feel like an idiot!

59 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Keeps you own your guard . Good news it was not the other way is there any way the dog could have undone it. 

Nah, her late kennel mate, my old cocker(Abbey) was more of the houdini type. She would have had no problem jumping out of the pen if she so wanted but I always made sure their pen was somewhere they knew was home and that's where you stayed. 

It shows how that slightest bit of complacency can give you the fright of your life!

Horrible moment for you.

I manged to corner my Daughters cat that is staying with us with my Daughter for a few weeks in our summerhouse after it escaped the house. I had to wait for her to get home as it does not like me. When she came home she found her cat was asleep on her bed upstairs, I had cornered one of the farm strays we have around the place is was fairly unhappy. In my defence it was the nearly the same colour.

6 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

Horrible moment for you.

I manged to corner my Daughters cat that is staying with us with my Daughter for a few weeks in our summerhouse after it escaped the house. I had to wait for her to get home as it does not like me. When she came home she found her cat was asleep on her bed upstairs, I had cornered one of the farm strays we have around the place is was fairly unhappy. In my defence it was the nearly the same colour.

A "fairly unhappy cat" is something to be awful caution about!! Reminds me of the feral cats that used to inhabit the crawl spaces below the flight deck jigs I used to work on, bloody minging things, covered in all manner of cack. It all came to a head when their filth and the dust put me out of work with a chest infection so the traps were brought in. One of the guys in my crew was a full on bleeding heart bunny hugger who tried to release one from a cage trap....all the while the damn thing was scrabbing him to the bone. He wasn't too amused at my suggestion of giving it a nice bath by lobbing the cage and cat off the slipways behind the factory.

The pest control guy placated him by telling him any they caught would be rehomed. Would they hell! Would be safer stroking a lions bum with some 40grit emery than rehoming these particular cats.

4 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

It's one of the reasons my dogs are housed in doors. In todays age, I won't take the risk one of my dogs being stolen. There's some real scum about. 

With the exception of the ‘house terrier’ all my dogs have always been kennelled. But not any more.