Park Lodge

Wylye

Four of us went to Park Lodge on Saturday morning. The place looked a picture, not a blade of grass out of place, no scattered cartridge cases to be seen and loads of bins. Loads of stuff to shoot at from basic stuff to more testing birds. The sportrap was excellent too. Immaculate loos, big smiles and made to feel welcome. Four hundred targets and only one no-bird!

Great place. Enjoyed it.

7 minutes ago, Wylye said:

Four of us went to Park Lodge on Saturday morning. The place looked a picture, not a blade of grass out of place, no scattered cartridge cases to be seen and loads of bins. Loads of stuff to shoot at from basic stuff to more testing birds. The sportrap was excellent too. Immaculate loos, big smiles and made to feel welcome. Four hundred targets and only one no-bird!

Great place. Enjoyed it.

How things should be, I now refuse to go back to places that cannot provide a service that is enjoyable.  :good:

28 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Good news indeed, I always liked the place. Maybe another visit is on the cards

Same here. But they really need to look at their pricing. I can travel simillar distances and get great shooting at much better rates. While ever that's the case, Park Lodge will be somewhere I may go once a year if at all. 

I'm sure you will be able to find cheaper shooting somewhere. Clays are only about £60 per thousand anyway so someone will knock them out cheap if you look around.

The days of standing ankle deep in mud with few if any facilities are long gone I'm afraid. If I'm paying the price then I want a tidy ground you can shoot round without wellies, spotless loos and some decent food on offer too. 

4 hours ago, Wylye said:

I'm sure you will be able to find cheaper shooting somewhere. Clays are only about £60 per thousand anyway so someone will knock them out cheap if you look around.

The days of standing ankle deep in mud with few if any facilities are long gone I'm afraid. If I'm paying the price then I want a tidy ground you can shoot round without wellies, spotless loos and some decent food on offer too. 

I agree. I use a few such grounds that have high standards and pay less than I do at Park Lodge. Plenty of good options out there that supply quality and dont charge over the odds.

On 17/08/2021 at 19:45, TRINITY said:

I agree. I use a few such grounds that have high standards and pay less than I do at Park Lodge. Plenty of good options out there that supply quality and dont charge over the odds.

Where do you use? I find myself at Churchills at Swinton and Park Lodge which are both 35p a clay, I'm in Wakefield as well so always on the look out for somewhere new to try. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2021 at 19:45, TRINITY said:

I’m also in Wakefield and I’d be interested in recommendations of where to shoot. I’m new to the sport and just having lessons till I get my licence and gun. Are there any local clubs that loan guns for supervised shooting?

12 hours ago, rding said:

I’m also in Wakefield and I’d be interested in recommendations of where to shoot. I’m new to the sport and just having lessons till I get my licence and gun. Are there any local clubs that loan guns for supervised shooting?

Cant think of anywhere that loan you a gun but plenty will give you lessons. 

Plenty of little grounds around for Sunday morning shooting, Stanley ferry,, batley gun club, Hemsworth gun club, burgh green barnsley. Also Saturdays woolley.

Best mid week and Saturdays is rufforth,York   and that is my preferred ground.

• 2 months later...
On 19/08/2021 at 18:11, R_Hawlwy said:

Where do you use? I find myself at Churchills at Swinton and Park Lodge which are both 35p a clay, I'm in Wakefield as well so always on the look out for somewhere new to try. 

40p a clay We was charged last week and couldn’t do a full compact or sporting layout as some traps would not work. 21 no birds the place is getting worse in my opinion 

4 hours ago, Vetty said:

40p a clay We was charged last week and couldn’t do a full compact or sporting layout as some traps would not work. 21 no birds the place is getting worse in my opinion 

Just been this morning and had probably a dozen no birds between me and my old man. Its handy because its localish but Churchills is leagues ahead now. 

To be fair I really enjoy Spitfire in Hampshire, but last time we had over 20 no birds out of our 120 card. I did tell them about that and what stands didn't fire, and they offered to top up the card. Not the best, but I can't expect any more.

I shot a comp today at Owls Lodge which was going well til a small injury. In my shooting and waiting I probably saw 600-800 clays, and genuinely only 3 no birds. Thanks to Richard and the team for making an enjoyable day, and the site minus high footfall areas (I was competitor 117 and was there 25 mins into the comp, and plenty more behind!) and yet the ground still looked good.

Sometimes the extra pennies pays for a better site. Sometimes..... not.