What happened to this pigeon?

Fellside

While out training my new pup on barley stubble - I came across this strange looking specimen. When found it was very much alive although quite light in weight. My inexperienced dog took several attempts to retrieve the bird, hence it looks a little roughed up. 

After finishing off the poor thing, I noticed that it’s wing primaries and tail feathers were all missing. However feather stubs showing early regrowth were evident. By the way, these feathers weren’t pulled off by the pup - they just weren’t there in the first place. 

Can anyone share insight: what might have happened to this pigeon? Just curious. Incidentally I couldn’t find any parasites. 7C71C7A7-D998-4C3D-8089-4F696E40B25D.jpeg.34fb4f7d8cd0ffa5b007b19476e98f94.jpeg

1 minute ago, SNAP SHOT said:

Most likely a sparrowhawk. They often pluck out primaries on bigger prey to stop them escaping. Also with juvenile sparrowhawks recently fledging this may have been a first attempt at a kill for one of this years fledglings. 

Thanks Snapshot. That’s interesting. I was shooting just two fields away last week and a young sparrow hawk landed on a dead pigeon, just briefly, then flew away. Coincidence…?

On 12/08/2021 at 11:20, Fellside said:

Enjoyed the ‘craic’ / humour 😄 thanks. 

Was hoping for a few more nature detectives to chip in as well. Anyone?

I'm guessing some sort of parasite, just judging by how bad the feet look, look like the old chickens we had after they got mites on their feet. Maybe it was wandering through a chicken coop and picked them up

6 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I'm guessing some sort of parasite, just judging by how bad the feet look, look like the old chickens we had after they got mites on their feet. Maybe it was wandering through a chicken coop and picked them up

The feet look the healthiest bit on it!

I initially thought sparrow hawk. However, the primaries are really quite tough to pull out. Also, birds of pray usually make their prey still by cutting through the neck and lopping off the head. 

Sometimes when decoying, if I look for a pricked bird in a near by wood, they are headless and plucked by the time I find them. However the primaries are still in. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry a bit late to the party on this... did you skin it to have a look at the breast?  It may well have been shot at, pricked, then had a close encounter with the shooter's dog who failed to retrieve it, or even a fox or badger?

I'm trying to think, when they get walloped by a car it's quite often the smaller downy feathers that make a big snow storm, the flight feathers wouldn't normally come out.  Tail feathers are easier to dislodge, I've de-tailed a few runners when shooting without a dog, trying to put my foot on them and catch them!

Edited by Jim Neal

15 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Sorry a bit late to the party on this... did you skin it to have a look at the breast?  It may well have been shot at, pricked, then had a close encounter with the shooter's dog who failed to retrieve it, or even a fox or badger?

I'm trying to think, when they get walloped by a car it's quite often the smaller downy feathers that make a big snow storm, the flight feathers wouldn't normally come out.  Tail feathers are easier to dislodge, I've de-tailed a few runners when shooting without a dog, trying to put my foot on them and catch them!

Hello Jim,

No I didn’t skin it. Like you, I’ve always found the tail feathers dislodge really easily - but the primaries are tough to remove. Couldn’t find any pellet wounds  and I know that nobody else shoots in that neck of the woods but me. I hadn’t fired a shot for ages (months). I suppose it could have dropped in from far away…?

Incidentally, I once found a winged pigeon surrounded by carrion crows. When I investigated, the pigeon had hardly a feather on it, apart from primaries. It was bleeding from multiple beak stabs. Needless to say I finished it off. So that probably cancels out crows as the culprit, as this time the body feathers were intact. 

I think this one might remain a mystery…?!