Lyalvale meltdown?

I got myself some 3" 410 lyalvale cartridges with the view to using them and then reloading the cases but i had half a dozen out of a box that looked as if they had been to hell and back after the first firing from new.

If i had loaded cartridges and they turned out like this i  would be thinking "what the hell  had i done wrong?"

here is a pic of the meltdown cases

100_0871.JPG

I've had this on a good number of 2.5" Lyalvale .410 carts - 16g from memory fired from an old battered 2.5" Webley&Scott bolt action. Shots seem fine just carts look the same as that after shooting. Having being the only .410 I've ever shot I thought it was normal - I take it thats not the case?

It is not just Lylevale I had a bunch of RC melt just the same and Hull High Pheasant. I think Ditchie has hit the nail...again.....  it is the plastic being used as I never have that problem, if it is a problem with Fiocchi.  As said, shot a fair few thousand in the last seven to ten years as I rarely shoot another gauge these days and things still fall out of the sky.

I had the same with factory loads express 28 bore (probably the same plastic). Express’ response was nothing to worry about, the plastics reaction occurs well after the shot and wad has left the barrel. 

Edited by markm

I had a problem with Eley VIP Game in 16 bore a few years ago. After checking chamber length etc. I sent a few used cases off to Eley and they sent me a replacement slab via the gunshop where I purchased them. Couldn`t argue with that.

However, it wasn`t a case of meltdown, purely the ends blown away.

I didn`t affect their killing power against the pigeons if I recall.

OB

On 11/08/2021 at 12:26, aberisle said:

I got myself some 3" 410 lyalvale cartridges with the view to using them and then reloading the cases but i had half a dozen out of a box that looked as if they had been to hell and back after the first firing from new.

If i had loaded cartridges and they turned out like this i  would be thinking "what the hell  had i done wrong?"

here is a pic of the meltdown cases

100_0871.JPG

Not good, never had that problem with 3" Winchester paper case in the early seventies (modern technology?) why fix whats not broken 

I shot a couple of hundred of the newish Lylevale 3 inch Supreme Game 410s  #7s  last season and they performed so well I purchased another 250 for this season. They killed very well if I did my bit.  One or two did show signs of melted ends but did not effect the performance.  As said I believe it may be the type of plastic used because I have reloaded 3 inch Fiocchi shells three times and never had they burn or swell. Hence I only reload those these days.