Empire steel

Just to get some clarity on this,

Our 29gram is running at 430mps 2.5m from the muzzle (CIP maximum allowed) the recoil is firm but not excessive, (similar to 32/34gram lead cartridge)

At 29grams we have a similar pellet count to a lead 32 gram 5 and the additional velocity goes some way to making up for the lower pellet weight. 

Proof however is in the trying, if anyone wants to try a slab at the 1000 rate give me a call in the office and I can arrange it. 

Cheers 🍻 

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

Sound very much like some Lightning Steel loads that several fowlers on here will have used / tried ...

I'll be very interested when there's a bio-wad version available - especially in 4's or even 3's.

Likewise, would be most interested in trying them out once the wad problem has been solved.

13 hours ago, Empire Andrew said:

@wymberley Well spotted, they are in fact a steel 5 (3.05mm) the website has been updated to reflect this. 👍

Andrew just looked at your website as I did not know of your company realy good products and site only thing wrong if I am seeing it right is the photo of the steel shot  cartridge looks like a felt wadded lead load to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2021 at 21:48, Empire Andrew said:

Just to get some clarity on this,

Our 29gram is running at 430mps 2.5m from the muzzle (CIP maximum allowed) the recoil is firm but not excessive, (similar to 32/34gram lead cartridge)

At 29grams we have a similar pellet count to a lead 32 gram 5 and the additional velocity goes some way to making up for the lower pellet weight. 

Proof however is in the trying, if anyone wants to try a slab at the 1000 rate give me a call in the office and I can arrange it. 

Cheers 🍻 

Hi Andrew

I believe you mentioned in a different thread a while ago that you had received some sample bio-plastic wads that you were using to trial some steel loads. Do you have an update as to how it's going?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I tried some of these on a early mixed pheasant and partridge day and they killed nicely without noticing the recoil.

I also used them this weekend through 3/4 choke (might have been a tad tight) and boy do they pattern tight and hit hard when you do your bit and killed an exceptionally high pigeon that some of the guns didn’t believe was shot with steel.

I gave some of these to a mate who also was impressed with the kills he got on the pheasants on 1 drive.

I would be happy to use these in future on pheasants next season if any of the shoots ban lead as is mooted locally.

I would like to see what they offer in the future with some larger shot sizes etc.