Afghanistan

oowee

44 minutes ago, Mice! said:

It will never happen,  you would have to eradicate everyone to do the job properly,  the Russians tried and failed,  so there is no chance of anyone else doing it whilst playing by the rules. 

It doesn't matter how far back you go, except Genghis Khan everyone has failed in Afghanistan,  that's why its known as the graveyard of Empires.

Problem is it's been tried, many soldiers have died from many countries and as soon as things seem to settle and soldiers go home it's back to square one. 

Have a watch of the film outpost,  the west will never tame Afghanistan. 

I understand where your coming from but its not a matter of taming anywhere. It's about building capacity within the indigenous population to the point where there is no room for the insurgents to operate. You dont effect change in a culture in a single generation.

We leave they go back to square one and we wait again for the next problem either here or there. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

I understand where your coming from but its not a matter of taming anywhere. It's about building capacity within the indigenous population to the point where there is no room for the insurgents to operate. You dont effect change in a culture in a single generation.

We leave they go back to square one and we wait again for the next problem either here or there. 

People have been in Afghanistan for way longer than one generation trying to change or influence things, it hasn't worked and won't work.

Then the problem is how many people can be sent out there to be injured or killed trying to change things,  thousands of miles from home in a battle no one understands or cares about. 

14 minutes ago, oowee said:

I agree with this, the drugs grown there causing problems here for one.

50 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I have a friend who lost his leg in Afghanistan, only my age. Must be devastating to see everything you sacrificed so much for destroyed. The people you fought to protect, now thrown to the dogs 😔

quite an interesting interveiw on GB news with Farage with  an ex marine who lost and arm and a leg

Just now, WalkedUp said:

What did they say?

what i gleaned from it...is that im so glad that there are lads around like that.....he basically said...thats what i sighned up for..i wanted to go there...i was lowly infantary...if you want a political answer ..speak to a senior officer colnel or above

that bloke will never encounter a problem in his life that he wont be able to deal with....christ we need more lads around like him...i was seriously impressed

8 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And was anybody really surprised?

We really should stop getting involved in other peoples wars, protect our own borders and our own people.

Agreed.  The western world is not willing to do what has to happen to win a 3rd world conflict.  Building schools, hospitals, and water treatment plants is not a successful strategy.  

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Agreed.  The western world is not willing to do what has to happen to win a 3rd world conflict.  Building schools, hospitals, and water treatment plants is not a successful strategy.  

For 20 years we trained and pumped resources into the Afghan army as they sold the Western supplies to the Enemy.  Now they will be left with the enemy.   

15 hours ago, Scully said:

It will never change, because they are indoctrinated into a blinkered religious cult from the moment of birth. They may be living in the 21st century but their mindset hasn’t progressed any further than the dark ages. 

There lies the root of the trouble.

Blackpowder

Sounds like the Afganistan army are not even putting up a fight. Is there anyone who would like to see their kids or grand kids go out there, put there lives on the line for people who will not stand up for themselves. 

Not only that there are millions living in this country who would side with the Taliban if it came to it. Then if under the pressure of battle our kids made a mistake they have legal action taken against them by their own country. 

Let's be honest the Taliban will take over the whole country (Afghanistan) . They are going to carry out alot of horrific acts against people who rejected them and moved forward to a more modern lifestyle and opposed them. Once those atrocities have been done they will be seeking vengeance and thats when things will start happening back here at home and against other nations who have operated in Afghanistan against the Taliban.

It's a terrible mess. 

3 hours ago, Salop Matt said:

Let's be honest the Taliban will take over the whole country (Afghanistan) . They are going to carry out alot of horrific acts against people who rejected them and moved forward to a more modern lifestyle and opposed them. Once those atrocities have been done they will be seeking vengeance and thats when things will start happening back here at home and against other nations who have operated in Afghanistan against the Taliban.

It's a terrible mess. 

It is. They have stated that they will tolerate no regime other than Islam. 

36 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i see Rory Stewart is now making his opinions known....................the way he sees it we should house and feed the afgan nation

I don't know the answers to it all , but I can only imagine the horrors that will be going on out there . Those poor souls that helped the  British and American military , will be amongst the first targets . What a xxxxxxx awful mess.

17 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I don't know the answers to it all , but I can only imagine the horrors that will be going on out there . Those poor souls that helped the  British and American military , will be amongst the first targets . What a xxxxxxx awful mess.

and those people should be catered for here..........but the way Stewart is talking its going to be them aaaannnnd some....like anyone who fancys a change....

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

and those people should be catered for here..........but the way Stewart is talking its going to be them aaaannnnd some....like anyone who fancys a change....

I know , this country is already at bursting point , and bringing millions of people here certainly isn't the answer.

I feel so sorry for the Afghan people . It must be horrendous for many of them. We moan about life in the UK, but we're so lucky compared to many people on the planet. 

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I know , this country is already at bursting point , and bringing millions of people here certainly isn't the answer.

I feel so sorry for the Afghan people . It must be horrendous for many of them. We moan about life in the UK, but we're so lucky compared to many people on the planet. 

correct me if im wrong.....we...USA UK supplied and eguipped 300,000 afgan troops............well enough to quell any uprising invasion.....all they have done is dropped their weapons and run for it and poo'ed their pants...........one side of me says they deserve what they get...they obviously dont think their way of life is worth fighting for....

i do feel sorry for the women and children....i seriously think the women over there are stronger than the men....if they had equipped and trained the women...there wouldnt be a taliban left standing in the middle east i rekon !!!

correct me if im wrong.....we...USA UK supplied and eguipped 300,000 afgan troops............well enough to quell any uprising invasion.....all they have done is dropped their weapons and run for it and poo'ed their pants...........one side of me says they deserve what they get...they obviously dont think their way of life is worth fighting for....

i do feel sorry for the women and children....i seriously think the women over there are stronger than the men....if they had equipped and trained the women...there wouldnt be a taliban left standing in the middle east i rekon !!!

A job for China after the failure of the West maybe? 

correct me if im wrong.....we...USA UK supplied and eguipped 300,000 afgan troops

So they took money and equipment,  but probably did so knowing the soldiers would go home at some point as they always do.

While the countries around Afghanistan harbour the Taliban, and the Afgans in general don't want to change it's all pointless,  and probably only being done because of pipelines or stuff in the ground. 

What other reasons do we have for sending soldiers there?

We are all beating around the bush and nobody wants to say it but at the in of the day these are 3rd world people with 3rd world minds.  They can’t except democracy as they are not developed enough to understand it. The west likes to the that our way of life will work across the globe and it will not.  The west offers freedoms and a just way of life 20 years down the road.  The Taliban offers bread and sex slaves today.  Some societies just function better under the iron boot of dictatorship.  Iraq is another example, look how the west has jacked that up.  Under Saddam the water, electricity, sewage all worked.  Not saying he was a good guy but he knew how to control the region. 

40 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Under Saddam the water, electricity, sewage all worked.  Not saying he was a good guy but he knew how to control the region. 

Your not wrong, but he threatened the oil, unfortunately it's been a mess ever since. 

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Iraq is another example, look how the west has jacked that up.  Under Saddam the water, electricity, sewage all worked.  Not saying he was a good guy but he knew how to control the region. 

Ditto Gadaffi

http://american_almanac.tripod.com/libya.htm

(written in 1991)

Under the giant scheme, water is pumped from aquifers under the Sahara in the southern part of the
country, where underground water resources extend into Egypt and Sudan. Then the water is transported
by reinforced concrete pipeline to northern destinations. Construction on the first phase started in 1984,
and cost about $5 billion. The completed project may total $25 billion. South Korean construction experts
built the huge pipes in Libya by some of the most modern techniques. The engineering feat involves
collecting water from 270 wells in east central Libya, and transporting it through about 2,000 kilometers of
pipeline to Benghazi and Sirte. The new ``river'' brings 2 million cubic meters of water a day. At completion,
the system will involve 4,000 kilometers of pipepines, and two aqueducts of some 1,000 kilometers. Joining
in celebrating the inauguration of the artificial river were dozens of Arab and African heads of state and
hundreds of other foreign diplomats and delegations. Among them were Egyptian President Hosni
Mubarak, King Hassan of Morocco, the head of Sudan, Gen. Omar El Beshir, and Djibouti's President Hassan
Julied.

Libya's another mess now?

Edited by Eyefor