D V L A excellent service

marsh man

Last week I got a letter from D V L A to tell me it will be soon be the time to renew my over 70 driving licence as I got a year extension due to the pandemic which should had been due last November.

I could had filled the enclosed form they sent me and posted it , or try and do it online , as it looked straight forward on line I spent a good five minutes of my time and filled it all in , after I done it I got confirmation it was done and they will send me my new licence in about two weeks , well it came through my letter box this morning , three full days after applying , good service if you ask me , credit deserved where credit is due .

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Last week I got a letter from D V L A to tell me it will be soon be the time to renew my over 70 driving licence as I got a year extension due to the pandemic which should had been due last November.

I could had filled the enclosed form they sent me and posted it , or try and do it online , as it looked straight forward on line I spent a good five minutes of my time and filled it all in , after I done it I got confirmation it was done and they will send me my new licence in about two weeks , well it came through my letter box this morning , three full days after applying , good service if you ask me , credit deserved where credit is due .

Perhaps they should take over firearms licensing?

They do seem a good department to deal with. 
I was very reluctant to renew my driving license after discovering it hadn’t been renewed since I passed my test  in 1978, and Beth g told by everyone I mentioned it to that I’d get a £1000 fine.

Anyhow, I bit the bullet and applied, and within a few days received my brand new credit card license. 🙂

Well my shooting mate lost his licence for 12 months due to a health problem. He is now all well but the Dvla will not give him his licence back. Now been 18 months and they just keep saying they are waiting for a meeting. They don’t answer phone and will not give h any assistance. They have huge backlogs and don’t seem to care.

just google to see all the problems people are having, much worse than Thames valley firearm department 

Edited by Stimo22

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

Well my shooting mate lost his licence for 12 months due to a health problem. He is now all well but the Dvla will not give him his licence back. Now been 18 months and they just keep saying they are waiting for a meeting. They don’t answer phone and will not give h any assistance. They have huge backlogs and don’t seem to care.

just google to see all the problems people are having, much worse than Thames valley firearm department 

Sorry to hear about your mates problems in getting his licence back , I can only vouch how I was treated and found them top notch , if I have had a problem then things might have been different , but up to now no complaints .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Changed my licence 6 months ago after moving house. Got it back 2 days later. DVLA 👍

1 hour ago, Lord O War said:

If you use the grandfathered rights on your licence please check they are still there. I have a feeling they remove them if you renew online.  I seem to remember telling my mum  but she wasn't bothered.

They certainly removed some when I re-applied at 70. But I did not apply online.

23 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Got my letter to renew my licence in the post today. Will fill out the online application tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up as to how quickly they return the new licence.

FB.

Your new licence will start from the day they send it and not when your old one run out , I cut my old one up today and posted it off to D V L A , it look to me that the new one is the same as the old one  except the date is for another three years . 

22 hours ago, London Best said:

They certainly removed some when I re-applied at 70. But I did not apply online.

You're no longer automatically allowed to drive a 17.5 ton van on a car licence once you pass 70. Like most of the government's pettifogging driving rules it makes no sense to me either.

They have taken C and D off of my licence doing it on line. Bloody sneaky doing this as trying to get a Dr to certify your ok at this time is like trying to push water up hill with your nose.

Asked all sorts of stupid questions like how long I had lived at my address, they already had that info when I updated my address 15 years ago and paid £20.00 for the privilege. Then Passport details and Nat Ins No. Why they don`t tell you this at the information page prior to filling  in the online form I don`t know.

Bah humbug.

FB