Another day on stubble

the hitman

I had been watching pigeons on a wheat stubble for a few days and had decided exactly where to build a hide. Yesterday the conditions were as good as I had hoped and I was set up with the wind and a high hedge at my back at 1pm with 20 sillosocks rocking in the westerly wind. 
I didn’t have to wait long for the first group of four to arrive- straight into the decoys- double shot and I had two for the magnet. 
I set the magnet out to my right expecting it to pull every passing pigeon in - unfortunately i soon realised that it was turning them away and was promptly brought it in.

So no magnet no bouncers just decoys on the ground ( old fashioned decoying)  and the pigeons just wanted to be in. Because they were coming in low and straight on - I dropped the front of my hide very low so that I could shoot sitting down ( something I seldom do) . It wasn’t a day for challenging shooting rather a succession of pigeons decoying right into the middle of the pattern. I always like to leave with pigeons still flying about- so a quick count at 4.30pm and I reckoned I had about 55 - I gave it another twenty minutes and ended the day with 63.

As the the harvest gathers pace locally I expect the pigeons to be spread out more with more choice - however I will keep plugging away.FD40407E-C52B-4A34-ADF2-7907F026A350.jpeg.fda863b1cd3cb19bc7e17d0379fa2ce6.jpeg

Another great report , nothing better than decoying the old fashion way , a spread of decoys put in the right place and the pigeons homing in , the magnets have been out more years now than a lot of the members have been pigeon shooting and yet we still don't know how they fully work , if we did know then we wouldn't keep putting them out and bringing them back in , alter the timer if you have got one from slow to fast and then slowing it down again , reposition them from right to left , or from the back to the front , using short arms or extending them , and the list can go on ,and on, and on with the same results .

We all know that some days they work like the magnet they were made for , and then on the next day out they are the biggest deterrent on gods earth , why this should be , your guess is as good as mine and anyone who knows all the answers could easily give up his , or her day job . 

2 hours ago, JDog said:

You are doing well of late.

The next thing will be you telling us that Brentford are top of the Premiership.

The heavy rain showers have brought the harvest to a standstill so they don’t have much stubble to go at locally. The forecast is mostly dry here next week so I will probably spend more time on reconnaissance than shooting.

I should write reports about the days I shoot next to nothing- as I have plenty of those.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Another great report , nothing better than decoying the old fashion way , a spread of decoys put in the right place and the pigeons homing in , the magnets have been out more years now than a lot of the members have been pigeon shooting and yet we still don't know how they fully work , if we did know then we wouldn't keep putting them out and bringing them back in , alter the timer if you have got one from slow to fast and then slowing it down again , reposition them from right to left , or from the back to the front , using short arms or extending them , and the list can go on ,and on, and on with the same results .

We all know that some days they work like the magnet they were made for , and then on the next day out they are the biggest deterrent on gods earth , why this should be , your guess is as good as mine and anyone who knows all the answers could easily give up his , or her day job . 

Thank you for your advice about the magnet, I will try your suggestions. I tend to just put it at the front of pattern and set it away. It has 3 speeds and I prefer the quicker setting as it seems to work best for me. When they work they are deadly, however nothing worse than carrying the magnet and battery over a muddy rape field just to find that it is putting the off.