Another dog attack

Rob85

I just come across this on sky news, I wonder is this was just a random thing where the dog has went daft/child provoked dog or is this the start of the lockdown dogs coming back to haunt owners. Very lucky considering the power that American bulldogs would have.

https://news.sky.com/story/woman-in-hospital-with-life-changing-injuries-after-being-attack-by-her-own-dog-12382788

35 minutes ago, chilly1981 said:

What a silly statement just because you don’t like that “type” of dog don’t mean others don’t 

that’s the same carp statement like why do people want different types of guns to what you like  

one or two bad apples don’t mean the whole cart is rotten 

Maybe the statement wasn't meant to come across like that. I think it could be taken in the vein of "why would an idiot want to own a dog like that".

Some dogs are just not for the inexperienced owner. I hear people all the time talking about their staffies being the gentlest of creatures and it snuggles all the time with their kids. Only a moron would let any dog be alone with a child let alone a type of dog that was generally bred to fight.

I suppose I am guilty of getting blinkered like that as well though.... what would any sane person want to own a bloody chihuahua?

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I saw that, why does anyone want to own these types of dogs, !!, Was there another person hurt and they had to stab the dog ?

2 or 3 adults hurt protecting the child, they stabbed the dog and managed to get it outside til the vet turned up and put it down. At least they had the fortitude to go for the dog to protect the child.

2 hours ago, chilly1981 said:

What a silly statement just because you don’t like that “type” of dog don’t mean others don’t 

that’s the same carp statement like why do people want different types of guns to what you like  

one or two bad apples don’t mean the whole cart is rotten 

Hello, well I am sure the lady who owned the dog and got hurt is regretting this 

Basic rules, NEVER, own a dog that you cannot put on the ground with ease, NEVER allow a dog to growl at you or anyone else, NEVER allow a dog to challenge your authority, simple rules that can save a world of grief. I can make my Dogs cower with my voice, no need to be cruel, it's a mental game.

I own a 2 year American Bulldog and he is 35kg in weight and all muscle.

He was the smallest pup, out of a litter of 11 and my daughter had seen them advertised, and convinced me on having him.

My daughter developed epilepsy at 18 and the dog is brilliant with her and knows when she is going to have a seizure and sits by her side before she has warning !

He was brought up as a pup with my spaniels and is the most obedient, loyal and friendly dog you could meet.

You can take him anywhere and is not bothered by other dogs and is brilliant with people and children.

He will retrieve from land and water like a spaniel.

Any dog can turn and attack, and the fault, most of the time is the people who have dogs which are allowed to get away with things without correcting the fault.

Dogs like this need regular exercise and stimulation, and not just kept to self exercise in the garden as most of them are , once the puppy faze has passed.

The major fault he has is he drools .

9873C525-28F8-4539-BE0F-12EB6E6B8098.jpeg

01A8E18E-B8A5-48AB-8C4D-05F30A233479.jpeg

D3AC7E2D-81CC-4873-8FB3-14E8EB47301D.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Shambam1962 said:

I own a 2 year American Bulldog and he is 35kg in weight and all muscle.

He was the smallest pup, out of a litter of 11 and my daughter had seen them advertised, and convinced me on having him.

My daughter developed epilepsy at 18 and the dog is brilliant with her and knows when she is going to have a seizure and sits by her side before she has warning !

He was brought up as a pup with my spaniels and is the most obedient, loyal and friendly dog you could meet.

You can take him anywhere and is not bothered by other dogs and is brilliant with people and children.

He will retrieve from land and water like a spaniel.

Any dog can turn and attack, and the fault, most of the time is the people who have dogs which are allowed to get away with things without correcting the fault.

Dogs like this need regular exercise and stimulation, and not just kept to self exercise in the garden as most of them are , once the puppy faze has passed.

The major fault he has is he drools .

9873C525-28F8-4539-BE0F-12EB6E6B8098.jpeg

01A8E18E-B8A5-48AB-8C4D-05F30A233479.jpeg

D3AC7E2D-81CC-4873-8FB3-14E8EB47301D.jpeg

He's a handsome chap! 😍

327262256_HatDogs.jpg.2e7b5f8162882d24033ce13f49c30dc7.jpg

15508_10205499298740673_6483054903908352318_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=ba80b0&_nc_ohc=tgNqQm0wrlEAX-XwEKs&_nc_ht=scontent.fgba1-1.fna&oh=7239ecb99b873d953255fefb53246504&oe=6141AD36That's our Roxy on the right, now sadly departed, who was adopted into a pack of spaniels much like yours.  Unfortunately she didn't like mud or rain, or wind, or any kind of weather really except she was OK with thunder and lightning.  She definitely didn't like electric fences and developed a severe hatred of prickly and spiky stuff, so she stayed at home keeping the sofa warm on shoot days :)

rox.jpg.493750e40034917473e5e411792b62fc.jpg

She wasn't a pure breed, nobody knows her parentage for sure but I'm fairly certain she was American Bulldog x American Staff.

rox2.jpg.cc80b9b291bb44a22e07a73622995641.jpg

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

why does anyone want to own these types of dogs

I have a lot of respect for you, Sir, so I will choose my words carefully and attempt to explain :)

Dogs are 99% wolf.  The other 1% is what makes them different sizes, shapes and colours.  They all love, they're all loyal, they're the same basic thing inside.  Some people find an affinity with certain breeds but not others.  Nobody's wrong or right about their preferred choice of breed.   Sometimes you can't explain it, but between dog lovers we shouldn't have to, should we?  We should surely be able to accept each others' choices?

It's very rare indeed for an American Bulldog to show any aggression towards people; they thrive on pack bond and plenty of social contact.... they can be unpredictable with other dogs though, which is why they're not a breed for beginners.

In that news article there's absolutely zero amount of insightful information about the dog, the domestic situation, or any other events that led up to what happened.

The nastiest breed I've ever come across in my lifetime is the Border Collie.  Closely followed by the West Highland Terrier.  But they're "socially acceptable" breeds aren't they so the owners just have to roll out the usual cliche lines like "ooh he's not too friendly" or "oh! he's normally not like that".

Thanks Jim, he is a cracking dog and your words are spot on.

Your photo of Roxy and the spaniels made me smile.

I must admit to being one of those people who judged the breed before knowing anything about them.

How wrong I was !

The condition on having him was, my daughter had to put the time and effort into him at an early age, and we are seeing the rewards of the work she did.

You can remove items from him including food and has no possessive traits at all.

My daughter, last year for Christmas purchased matching onesies and will dress him up, just to wind me up !!

He is a real character of a dog, and it’s a shame the bad press, they receive .

17 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I saw that, why does anyone want to own these types of dogs, !!, Was there another person hurt and they had to stab the dog ?

Hello, I stand by my comment, an American Bull Dog, it's one on the list of aggressive dog breeds, and yes a lot of other breeds can sometimes display their different nature but will never show it, 

It's desperately sad, but as others have said it's so often the owners that make the dog's character that way. I've got a friend who's got a dog on the Index of Exempted Dogs. It's of a banned description, but with the IED my friend's allowed to keep her, but it has to be on the lead, muzzled and under strict control in public. She needs to have insurance against attacks too. In truth, the dog's a big softie and is just one of the gang on the farm. And she's like it with people of any age. She's just well brought up and well trained

Edited by chrisjpainter

37 minutes ago, chilly1981 said:

Brilliant reply really addresses the sweeping statement you made  

and I’m sure you could same the same for anyone who’s been mauled by a lab or handbag type dog 

fact is all dogs are capable of it 

yes a small tiny dog may not do as much damage but could easily badly maul a kid. 

or my lab is lean/muscle  at 44kg and could easily do as much damage  but you wouldn’t make a statement like that type of dog about a lab would you 

On the subject of your Labrador, you are comparing a dog with a bite force of roughly 230 PSI with a dog that is capable of over 300 PSI.

Also comparing one that was historically bred to retrieve against one that was historically bred for bull baiting. A labrador is perfectly capable of killing a child or adult but I daresay the american bulldog would do it far more efficiently.

Just to state I am not against the breed or people owning these types of dogs, the problems usually arise when people are not honest with themselves that they do not have the experience to handle or train them properly.....or the sheer stupidity to leave a dog with a child unsupervised.

A female friend of mine was badly bitten by a Great Dane (it had her head in it's mouth)

turns out it had a brain tumor..I was bitten by a dog when I was 7 years old (not badly) turns out it 

had an ear infection and I stroked it in the wrong place....and that's why I wouldn't have a dog I couldn't

beat in a fight.

Of all the staffies and bull type dogs I've had the pleasure of spending time with I've never met one that wasn't an absolute delight. Their only fault in fact was an overwhelming desire to be the centre of my attention at all times. 

On the other hand, I've never not been bitten by each Yorkshire terrier that I've had the misfortune to meet. Hateful little things. 5 for 5 so far.

It is unfortunate that these bull type dogs are quite sizable, heavy and have the machinery to really do some damage when they want to.

A toy Yorkie with a bad owner is nuisance but a bull breed with a bad owner is an outright danger. 

Ban owners not dogs. 

3 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Of all the staffies and bull type dogs I've had the pleasure of spending time with I've never met one that wasn't an absolute delight. Their only fault in fact was an overwhelming desire to be the centre of my attention at all times. 

On the other hand, I've never not been bitten by each Yorkshire terrier that I've had the misfortune to meet. Hateful little things. 5 for 5 so far.

It is unfortunate that these bull type dogs are quite sizable, heavy and have the machinery to really do some damage when they want to.

A toy Yorkie with a bad owner is nuisance but a bull breed with a bad owner is an outright danger. 

Ban owners not dogs.  

This. My friend's IED dog's been used in promo vids for the PSA, she does low level agility with it and is about as far from 'dangerous breed' as it's possible to get in terms of behaviour. Because she's trained it well. Good owners make good dogs.

image.png.fb64f254d3aa3d3999e37536985680bb.png

If you live or work in a city centre or deprived area you will see that these breeds of heavy baiting dogs are cat nip for idiots. If anyone has the time to meet me in Liverpool for an hour or two on a sunny afternoon I will be able to show you a fine selection of killing machines dragging clueless owners about. 

Labradors cause the most bite injuries in the UK because they are the most common breed. I could show you 100 good Labradors I have met over the last few years that wouldn’t bite someone, yet clearly some do. The difference is that when these baiting dogs go berserk it is a loss of life situation. 

I would be interested in finding out what’s the latest figures and which dogs are reported for biting or attacking people in the UK.

I was reading a report by The Kennel Club issued in 2016 and was shocked to see it was the humble Labrador.

It was reported that the most popular breed had the highest number of recorded attacks and personal injury claims!

Back in the 1980s a shooting acquaintance of mine had a black & white springer and one day I had to go to his house to see him.

As I walked up the path to the back door his spaniel came bounding at the back gate, like a dog possessed with plenty of aggression displayed.

His owner came to the gate and said he was always like that in the garden.

I have kept working dogs for 40 plus years and have never seen a spaniel like that one, and would never want to keep one.

It will be interesting to see which dogs are top of the list.

9E209A73-E48D-4DEB-8DA5-2F92B68E1DC6.jpeg

48 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

If you live or work in a city centre or deprived area you will see that these breeds of heavy baiting dogs are cat nip for idiots. If anyone has the time to meet me in Liverpool for an hour or two on a sunny afternoon I will be able to show you a fine selection of killing machines dragging clueless owners about. 

Labradors cause the most bite injuries in the UK because they are the most common breed. I could show you 100 good Labradors I have met over the last few years that wouldn’t bite someone, yet clearly some do. The difference is that when these baiting dogs go berserk it is a loss of life situation. 

Cat nip for idiots is a great way to describe it. And the problem as can be seen now is other idiots that want social status want one of these dogs and want them to be aggressive. 

A late friend of mine got a staffy because he loved the look of them and when I asked how well behaved and trained it was he went on to tell me about the big heavy harness and rope he needs as he pulls real hard, "the way they are supposed to" is how he put it.

I'm glad I never met his dog as by this stage the dog is taking the owner for a walk and so the slippery slope has began.

On the other side of this my wife's cousin had 2 staffy pups and sold one to a bloke, he found out it was being used with fighting dogs, to put it politely he went to the guys yard and filled him in. Took his pup back and threw the guys money at him, a few months later when I visited they were two lovely playful dogs, but again I was told just to be wary of sudden movement around the one that had been abused. Thus shows the experienced responsible owner.

I just hope that this incident was a dog that had a tumour or something that made it go nuts and it wasnt just idiots with an animal they shouldn't have had

How many chihuahuas are responsible for loss of life attacks across the UK per annum? How many baiting breeds are? 

Its like saying “don’t play with fire” and equating that with “don’t play with IEDs”. One is going to burn your fingers, the other is going to take your life away. 

12 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

How many chihuahuas are responsible for loss of life attacks across the UK per annum? How many baiting breeds are? 

Its like saying “don’t play with fire” and equating that with “don’t play with IEDs”. One is going to burn your fingers, the other is going to take your life away. 

How many rubber band guns are responsible for loss of life, let's ban anything over 2ftlb. Let's ban anything that can be misused and cause harm! 

I don't see your point. 

Edited by 12gauge82
Grammar

On 19/08/2021 at 19:56, 12gauge82 said:

Blaming certain dog breeds is idiotic and shows a complete lack of understanding dogs. 

It's not even specifically the breed! If you cross a staffy with a labrador, there's every chance you can come out with a dog that falls foul of what constitutes an apparently dangerous animal. When deciding whether a dog should be banned, or if it's lucky and allowed to exist under an IED, it comes down to biometrics. And that's over the apparent character and behaviour of the dog or the suitability of the owner. 

It's utterly ludicrous. A poorly trained GSD, Mali, rottweiler, doberman or even labrador is much more of a danger than a well trained dog that LOOKS like it could be dangerous. 

I appreciate that there's an argument about what a dog's physical potential might be to do damage, but the trouble is there are countless breeds that are not banned that have similar life threatening/changing potential. Just because a dog has the power, doesn't mean it can't be taught not to use it.

It's a ban based on social misconceptions and the target isn't actually the dog, it's the owner that wants that sort of dog, but lacks the wit to control it. If GSD's suddenly became the must have dog for every gangsta wannabe littering the streets, would they be banning them too? It's unethical to make well trained, well behaved dogs pay the price for other dogs' useless owners.

My wife and daughter was attacked by 2 large dogs last Summer whilst walking our American Bulldog at the end of our road.

How ironic is that !

My daughter had been ill and had multiple seizures over a week, and on the day of the attack, she was feeling well and decided she was going to walk the dog.

My wife was concerned about her health, and decided to go with her to keep an eye on her.

On walking to the end of the street, there is a house with 2 large mixed breed dogs, always in the window and barking at people passing by.

My daughter crossed to the pavement on the other side of the road, because she felt uncomfortable, and my wife followed, whilst talking to a neighbour who is a teacher in the school where my wife works.

The door opposite was opened by the small child, and the dogs came bounding out and jumping a 4ft wall effortlessly, trying to attack our Bulldog and daughter holding him.

My wife managed to fend the dogs off, but was badly bitten on her leg by the dogs.

The owner of the dogs came out because of the screaming and commotion and had difficulty returning the dogs inside.

My wife’s leg was bleeding and had to have a tetanus injection.

I told my wife I was phoning the Police, and reported the dog attack.

It took 3 days for an officer to ring back to interview my wife regarding the incident.

A week later we had a WPC come and take a statement and take photos of the badly bitten leg.

During the interview we was told the dogs in question had only just been returned to their owner, after being taken away for assessment a few weeks earlier, and found to be okay.

A month after the incident a Police dog handler turned up to remove the 2 dogs yet again, and for assessment.

Various people came forward and gave statements regarding the dogs attacking.

The owners had to attend Court, and was fined £250 and was given conditions for the dogs return.

The conditions was the dogs had to be muzzled in public and under control.

The joke is they are never walked and only bred for pups !!

They had to secure their property by putting up 6ft panel fencing, which is a joke 

The dogs wasn’t destroyed, because my wife couldn’t actually say which one had bitten her whilst fighting them off.

The assessment of the dogs was carried out individually, and the powers to be found them satisfactory .

This is a time bomb, waiting to go off, and next time the people they attack won’t be so lucky.

Some very interesting and wise comments above.

I will add, from personal experience, that sometimes it just isn't possible to train certain behaviour out of dogs so you just have to mitigate against it.  You have to take responsibility and do the right thing, which is where many people let their dogs down.

Roxy was as soft as putty with people, especially kids.  As an example, at a local pub someone's toddler escaped their attention for a fraction of a second, then climbed up on Roxy who promptly went into a sitting position causing the child to slide down her back!  All the emotion she displayed was a pleading look toward us to say "What the... ?!  Can you sort this out?"

With other dogs she met for the first time, if they displayed a cautious approach with no dominant behaviour she'd be bullish, intimidating and challenge them with her body language.  As long as they remained neutral she'd eventually get used to them, and did have a fair few playmates out on walks in our regular spot.  But if she faced an unknown dog with dominant or aggressive body language she had about a 2 second fuse.... she was a real good teacher in dog body language, you had to learn to spot it within a second and use diversionary tactics.  In public, she was always fitted with her head collar - a less ASBO form of a muzzle but still just as effective - and always on the lead.

Roxy was re-homed by my partner, shortly before we got together.  Her back-story was she'd been left abandoned at under 12 months old, tied to a park bench.  I guess someone either wanted a well-hard chav dog and she didn't quite cut the mustard, or else they bought a cute fluffy puppy that turned out to be a bit of a handful and they didn't know what to do with it.

She'd been in the shelter for almost a year, only attracting interest from the chavvy types who were refused the privilege of taking her, for obvious reasons.  My OH was a little inexperienced with dogs but went about it the right way, so when we got together I had to tactfully suggest a few little changes.  Very quickly Roxy looked to me as pack leader, as she became integrated in my spaniel pack, and I found it a lot easier to handle her than my OH, much to her frustration!

Put simply, you just have to accept how your dog is and handle it accordingly.  That went for my dog springer as well, who had a random aggressive streak which I think was brought on by being attacked by a greyhound when he was still a pup.