Another dog attack

Rob85

My wife and daughter was attacked by 2 large dogs last Summer whilst walking our American Bulldog at the end of our road.

How ironic is that !

My daughter had been ill and had multiple seizures over a week, and on the day of the attack, she was feeling well and decided she was going to walk the dog.

My wife was concerned about her health, and decided to go with her to keep an eye on her.

On walking to the end of the street, there is a house with 2 large mixed breed dogs, always in the window and barking at people passing by.

My daughter crossed to the pavement on the other side of the road, because she felt uncomfortable, and my wife followed, whilst talking to a neighbour who is a teacher in the school where my wife works.

The door opposite was opened by the small child, and the dogs came bounding out and jumping a 4ft wall effortlessly, trying to attack our Bulldog and daughter holding him.

My wife managed to fend the dogs off, but was badly bitten on her leg by the dogs.

The owner of the dogs came out because of the screaming and commotion and had difficulty returning the dogs inside.

My wife’s leg was bleeding and had to have a tetanus injection.

I told my wife I was phoning the Police, and reported the dog attack.

It took 3 days for an officer to ring back to interview my wife regarding the incident.

A week later we had a WPC come and take a statement and take photos of the badly bitten leg.

During the interview we was told the dogs in question had only just been returned to their owner, after being taken away for assessment a few weeks earlier, and found to be okay.

A month after the incident a Police dog handler turned up to remove the 2 dogs yet again, and for assessment.

Various people came forward and gave statements regarding the dogs attacking.

The owners had to attend Court, and was fined £250 and was given conditions for the dogs return.

The conditions was the dogs had to be muzzled in public and under control.

The joke is they are never walked and only bred for pups !!

They had to secure their property by putting up 6ft panel fencing, which is a joke 

The dogs wasn’t destroyed, because my wife couldn’t actually say which one had bitten her whilst fighting them off.

The assessment of the dogs was carried out individually, and the powers to be found them satisfactory .

This is a time bomb, waiting to go off, and next time the people they attack won’t be so lucky.

Some very interesting and wise comments above.

I will add, from personal experience, that sometimes it just isn't possible to train certain behaviour out of dogs so you just have to mitigate against it.  You have to take responsibility and do the right thing, which is where many people let their dogs down.

Roxy was as soft as putty with people, especially kids.  As an example, at a local pub someone's toddler escaped their attention for a fraction of a second, then climbed up on Roxy who promptly went into a sitting position causing the child to slide down her back!  All the emotion she displayed was a pleading look toward us to say "What the... ?!  Can you sort this out?"

With other dogs she met for the first time, if they displayed a cautious approach with no dominant behaviour she'd be bullish, intimidating and challenge them with her body language.  As long as they remained neutral she'd eventually get used to them, and did have a fair few playmates out on walks in our regular spot.  But if she faced an unknown dog with dominant or aggressive body language she had about a 2 second fuse.... she was a real good teacher in dog body language, you had to learn to spot it within a second and use diversionary tactics.  In public, she was always fitted with her head collar - a less ASBO form of a muzzle but still just as effective - and always on the lead.

Roxy was re-homed by my partner, shortly before we got together.  Her back-story was she'd been left abandoned at under 12 months old, tied to a park bench.  I guess someone either wanted a well-hard chav dog and she didn't quite cut the mustard, or else they bought a cute fluffy puppy that turned out to be a bit of a handful and they didn't know what to do with it.

She'd been in the shelter for almost a year, only attracting interest from the chavvy types who were refused the privilege of taking her, for obvious reasons.  My OH was a little inexperienced with dogs but went about it the right way, so when we got together I had to tactfully suggest a few little changes.  Very quickly Roxy looked to me as pack leader, as she became integrated in my spaniel pack, and I found it a lot easier to handle her than my OH, much to her frustration!

Put simply, you just have to accept how your dog is and handle it accordingly.  That went for my dog springer as well, who had a random aggressive streak which I think was brought on by being attacked by a greyhound when he was still a pup.